• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cruising TUGgers--It's that time again! [merge]

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on that cruise in January 2018. We, too, were notified of mechanical issues; they gave us shipboard credit since they changed one of the stops. The mechanical problems cause the ship to travel more slowly so hence the change in ports; it is also very expensive to fix. It is a very popular cruise with experienced cruisers who like the two-week cruise without returning to Florida after one week. I know people on the cruise in January who signed up for the same cruise next year.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
This would prompt me to look at other lines. The cruise in question doesn't depart for over 8 MONTHS! A reasonable passenger would surmise that they could repair any mechanical issue with that much advance warning!
Not that I have any suggestions for replacement cruises- we haven't booked any 2019 departures yet, but thanks for prompting me to start. I even have a little time in Fall '18 that isn't committed yet either. I keep telling DW to wait and we'll catch some last-minute surprise. She usually just books something before it comes to that.

Jim
Hi Jim,
We had already booked timeshare stays around the now canceled cruise date so we booked a couple of more Orlando getaways to replace the cruise. No other cruise fit our schedule and the canceled cruise fare more than paid for the two getaways and car rental. More 2019 thinking to do here also. Did the storms today hit you as hard as it did us, gutters could not keep up with the rain for a period of time.
Ed

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did the storms today hit you as hard as it did us, gutters could not keep up with the rain for a period of time.
Ed
It wasn't too bad here. We had a couple of passing thunderboomers and squalls, but mostly just wind. From the West up to about 40. DW is driving back from there and will probably get 50 MPG if she keeps it on the road.

Yeah, timeshare stays are really cheap compared to cruises, so if you can fill in with them it works out.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from a Viking Paris to Normandy river cruise. Initially I was disappointed with this 7 day cruise as it is not really much of a river cruise. 3 nights in Paris and 2 in Rouen and only a 100 miles or so from Paris to Normandy does not really equate to a cruise to me. The ship was docked in Le Pecq so being close to the sights in Paris required rather long bus rides. Rouen and Les Andelys docks were much better for walking into the cities (especially Rouen). We had just spent 3 weeks in Ireland and I was suffering from the ABC's (another bloody castle/church) and the Viking included church tour in Rouen and castle in Les Adelys just added to the ABC. I was greatly impressed though with the tour of the Normandy and Omaha Beach and Utah Beach. The American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach was especially moving as was the presentation put on by Cemetery staff.

After giving this cruise and some additional thought, I decided that it was not really reflective of what I should expect from a river cruise and that it was more about the one day in Normandy than the other six days combined. Next time I would go directly to Normandy and skip the RC.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
After giving this cruise and some additional thought, I decided that it was not really reflective of what I should expect from a river cruise and that it was more about the one day in Normandy than the other six days combined. Next time I would go directly to Normandy and skip the RC.
I think that river cruises in general require some research- or a darn good travel agent who's been on that particular route. On the one we started in July on some 'lesser' waterways (Rhine/Main Canal, Main and Mosel) we had occasion to spend some time with the local agent for several lines who was busy most days guiding daily land tours (ABC :) tours) and transferring passengers from one grounded boat or another to hotels or other boats that were floating from another direction. Perhaps this is seasonal, but we heard of it even on the Danube where Northbound and Southbound boats would meet and 'swap' passengers due to low water they couldn't get past. The river cruise lines are really reluctant to pass along the real numbers of inconvenienced passengers.

We've tried to take 2 river cruises to celebrate 'significant' birthdays and due to illness- no fault of the cruise line- we haven't been able to complete even one. I'm unsure about trying another one.

I agree the whole Normandy experience is something every American - especially those who served - should have. And a river cruise and long bus ride detracts from the experience.

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are going on a River Cruise with AMA
In October.Going with a few TUg Members.
Looking forward to it.
Kathy Q ( RIP) did all the travel arrangement for us.
We are sad that she will not be traveling with us.
This is our first river cruise. We will report back after.
Silentg

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Went on a Gate 1 river cruise on the Danube last summer. I didn't like it. Nothing to do while sailing, food only at meal times, nighttime entertainment was mediocre at best. Doubt I would go again. We got a great deal on the price otherwise we probably wouldn't have gone. If I had paid the regular price, I would have been very unhappy.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Pat,
Are you going on the Oct cruise Kathy Q organized? Which Danube cruise were you on? We are thinking about taking one, either on Danube or Rhine river.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kathy Q ( RIP)
Silentg

I don't get here that much anymore and was unaware of Kathy Q's passing. I am very sorry to read that. My last contact with her was regarding the upcoming river cruise which did not work for us.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Hi Pat,
Are you going on the Oct cruise Kathy Q organized? Which Danube cruise were you on? We are thinking about taking one, either on Danube or Rhine river.

Lisa, we went from Germany to Budapest. I had signed up for the Oct cruise but cancelled several months ago. I didn't feel it was worth the money. Rather go on an ocean cruise.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I guess I should check this more often. I haven't been here in quite a while. So shocked and sorry to read of Kathy Q's passing :-( When did this occur?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I guess I should check this more often. I haven't been here in quite a while. So shocked and sorry to read of Kathy Q's passing :-( When did this occur?

Aug 3

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have two upcoming cruises: Princess Grand - Mexican Riv 10 day Feb 21 out of San Francisco and RCCL Serenade OTS - 11 day Caribbean 1/20/2020 out of Ft Lauderdale.

Come on along :)

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Hey EZ-ED ... and Buddy, It's been forever since we cruised together. Sounds like you guys are still out cruising and seeing the world. Rosanna and I haven't cruised since 2010 (western Med.) :-( I'm looking to do another Panama Canal cruise, but I've got to figure when to fit it in, with Machu Picchu in Nov., two OAT trips (St. Petersburg and China) and a VBT-biking trip (Copenhagen to Helsinki) next year and another OAT trip (Egypt) in Winter 2020, it's going to be a tight fit and tough to fit it in the budget.
Have fun in Mexico and the Caribbean :).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going on a River Cruise with AMA
In October.Going with a few TUg Members.
Looking forward to it.
Kathy Q ( RIP) did all the travel arrangement for us.
We are sad that she will not be traveling with us.
This is our first river cruise. We will report back after.
Silentg
Just got an email from Dave- our 'guide/agent' on AMA. https://www.rivercruiseking.com/ He enclosed photos of the Rhine showing sandbars and shoals. He made the point that AMA's boats are designed for shallower water. His passengers have been waving to grounded passengers of other river cruise lines as they cruise past. So far (he said) no AMA boats had grounded. Good Luck!.

Jim

Last edited:

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey EZ-ED ... and Buddy, It's been forever since we cruised together. Sounds like you guys are still out cruising and seeing the world. Rosanna and I haven't cruised since 2010 (western Med.) :-( I'm looking to do another Panama Canal cruise, but I've got to figure when to fit it in, with Machu Picchu in Nov., two OAT trips (St. Petersburg and China) and a VBT-biking trip (Copenhagen to Helsinki) next year and another OAT trip (Egypt) in Winter 2020, it's going to be a tight fit and tough to fit it in the budget.
Have fun in Mexico and the Caribbean :).
WOW... those MP/OAT/VBT trips sound exciting and probably more than we could handle. Keep on keeping on and keep us in mind when you decide on the Panama Canal. We would like to do that cruise again also.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi
Is anyone else from TUG going on the Paris to Normandy cruise in October?
You can PM or answer here.
Silentg

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I was trying to find a picture or two of KathyQ from previous cruises. I ran across a couple including one with the famous Dave M.

KathyQ&Group.JPG
Dave'sHarem.JPG

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Hey mas wasn't that our Alaskan cruise? or was that the Inaugural TUG trip out New Orleans?

For those who didn't know Kathy, she is the one on the front on the left, she has the bedding covering her lap.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Hey mas wasn't that our Alaskan cruise? or was that the Inaugural TUG trip out New Orleans?

For those who didn't know Kathy, she is the one on the front on the left, she has the bedding covering her lap.
Hi Sandy,

I had to do so digging on my computer as those pictures were before the days of smart phones (or at least before I owned one). I believe it was the inaugural cruise as the pictures were from a folder labeled TUG cruise 2005. A couple of the pictures were in Jamaica where the group was swimming with the stingrays.

LynnWarner,KathyQ,AnneB-CaptMarvins.JPG

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
The TUG Alaska cruise was in 2006 on the NCL Star.
Another TUG cruise in 2008 was to the Mexican Riviera on the Princess Dawn out of San Diego.
Sadly for me I have missed the others.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, you guys can't post great/historic/revealing/insert adjective here TUG photos like that without identifying all concerned!

Give us more details, say the TUG masses. Names, dates, places!

These can be great promotional photos for getting others to join upcoming TUG cruises.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Hey EZ-ED ... and Buddy, how was your Mexican Riviera cruise? For me Machu Picchu, although fascinating, seems like ancient history now.

We split our winter travels this year between the two coasts -- Phoenix, Tucson and Palm Desert in the west and three weeks in southern Florida on the east coast. The Florida weather this year was by far the best and we should have stayed for at least two more weeks. Temps here in the twin cities have been setting record lows for the beginning of March and there is 20 inches of snow on the ground--don't know where we will put any additional accumulations but we will have to as another snow storm is heading our way this weekend and promises to dump another half a foot or more! At this rate I won't get back on my bike until June...

Hope you're enjoying your travels.