• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CPAP Machine -- How to Travel on Airplane

citymouse0_1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good idea on how to travel with a CPAP (positive air pressure breathing machine for sleep apnea) machine? Mine just has a soft-sided over-the-shoulder type bag. Is there a good way to check it and prevent/minimize damage?

Any ideas would be helpful.

ilisao

Reaction score
My father travels with one and never, ever checks it - he carries it on. He also travels with a letter from his doctor regarding its need and use. I wouldn't even consider checking it as it is a piece of medical equipment, and too important to risk losing.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pack my CPAP into my carry-on bag. I put clothes around it to cushion it.

I would not check my CPAP -- too much danger of loss or damage.

I've only had problems twice. In Europe, the CPAP itself was right at the weight limit (European airlines have very low weight limits for carry-ons), and the airline would not make an exception and let me take my carry-on bag, with the CPAP, on the plane. I put the CPAP in a tote bag and carried it on alone, but it was difficult to carry that way, plus I got very stressed out when I realized that my medicines and other important stuff were still in the bag I had just checked! The other problem was trying to bring both my CPAP and my laptop on a US flight. I explained that one bag was medical equipment and the other was a computer, and the airline let me carry both on.

EvelynK72

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that US airlines allow one carry-on bag and one personal item, but medical equipment is exempt from these rules, so you can carry 3 items on board. But these are the rules for US airports - check the rules for other countries. We were in Canada and my husband was not allowed to carry the above 3 items through security. He could have only two items, so he stuffed his CPAP into his carry-on bag. Once past security, it was okay to unpack the CPAP and carry the 3 items aboard the plane which was a US carrier.

Evelyn

folashade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages, SDO ,Kierland
I wouldn't check it. There is too much chance of it breaking in transit. I would do as the poster above suggested and but it in a carry on bag and place in the overhead compartment

pizzagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You May Find This Hard to Believe but....

BOTH myself and my husband have C-Pap machines!! We have the soft case over the shoulder bags too. We travel alot, and take them everywhere we go. The most problem we ever had at an airport was going through security where they have opened them up and examined them. I think the airline personnel is getting more used to seeing them now, as they don't raise their eyebrows as much anymore. As a previous poster said,this is medical equipment and therefore does not count as a carry-on bag. We would never check the equipment with the regular luggage. You shouldn't have any problems at all. Happy Sleeping!!!!

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
DW bought a very small unit for travel which she packs in a sturdy carry-on. Think it is by Good Knight and weighs about 1.5# and is about 5.5x3x8 inches. Got hers for $300. but think it's closer to $400. normally.