• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cozumel Shopping

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to Cozumel on a short cruise out of Tampa with a group of friends. They want to know what the shopping is like and if there are any 'must haves'. I'm presuming the main shopping must be in the town itself?
Any info would be appreciated. Unfortunately we're only in port for one day, not even overnight. Thanks.

jschmidt

Reaction score
I haven’t been to Cozumel in several years so I’m not sure what shopping is available there. But, I do know that I see a lot of people from the Cozumel cruse ships getting off the ferry that runs between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel and they are going shopping. Playa del Carmen’s 5th Ave. has miles and miles and more miles and miles of shops and restaurants. It’s a good place to shop for Mexican stuff. Watch the labels because a lot of the stuff in “Hecho in China” (Made in China).

The only “Must Have Stuff” I have seen in Cozumel is cerveza (tastes like beer). :)

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We sailed on Royal Caribbean a couple years ago and the shopping was right by the cruise dock. In my opinion, must haves are jewelry and vanilla. The cruise ship will tell you which stores are their preferred stores and what to look for when purchasing. Have fun!! We enjoyed Cozumel. We took a taxi to the beach for a few hours and then shopped until the ship left. Debby

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to go over to cruisecritic.com and read their forums. Those people are cruise experts and you would get some good advice from them regarding which stores are the best. I always read them prior to taking a cruise even though we have been on quite a few. Debby

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
We were there 8 years ago when there was a new terminal built with shops inside and also on a section of the wharf area. RCCL let passengers off in Playa del Carmen and I recall walking through the town to take a bus or van to Cozumel. It is one strip along the water with many shops with Tequila,jewelry(the big push then was Tanzinite, the darker the purple color the more expensive) and silver. Shop keepers came out to entice you to shop at their store.

Cozumel is famous for their diving spots. We did not do that or tour the area. Probably had 1/2 day there. The ship will leave you there if you are not back in time. One couple was left behind.

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'll pass the info to the group. We also plan to visit some of the ruins and my European best friend works as Personal Assistant to the CEO of one of the Spanish hotel chains, so she's going to organize lunch for my cabin mate and I. It should be fun - never been away without DH other than to visit family.

In The Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know when your cruise is, or if you've already taken it, but if you haven't gone yet, I can help. First of all, as for the shopping at the cruise terminal, although "duty free", keep in mind that convenience is expensive, and this was built for the "convenience" of the cruise passengers. Just walk right on through this area. Take a cab (less than $5) to "El Centro" or downtown. There you'll see many shops and great restaurants. However, again, those on the main street, and air conditioned, are going to be more expensive. Walk back into the mercado (market) about 4 or 5 blocks. When you no longer see air conditioning, you've entered the right place to shop. I couldn't believe the difference once I was given that advice. There is now a little jewelry shop we visit every time we go, and the owner even remembers us, gives us incredible prices, throws in free stuff, etc. he so much appreciates the business. His sign says "THIS IS THE PLACE"! lol

Good luck and have fun!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't know when your cruise is, or if you've already taken it, but if you haven't gone yet, I can help. First of all, as for the shopping at the cruise terminal, although "duty free", keep in mind that convenience is expensive, and this was built for the "convenience" of the cruise passengers. Just walk right on through this area. Take a cab (less than $5) to "El Centro" or downtown. There you'll see many shops and great restaurants. However, again, those on the main street, and air conditioned, are going to be more expensive. Walk back into the mercado (market) about 4 or 5 blocks. When you no longer see air conditioning, you've entered the right place to shop. I couldn't believe the difference once I was given that advice. There is now a little jewelry shop we visit every time we go, and the owner even remembers us, gives us incredible prices, throws in free stuff, etc. he so much appreciates the business. His sign says "THIS IS THE PLACE"! lol

Good luck and have fun!

"In the Pink" is in the know! :clap:

They will really appreciate your business back in "the Aves". For specific recommendations of stores and locations, why not start a thread on my friend Carey's website? There is also a Cruiseship Passengers Forum on her site: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com