• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID Points Extensions

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a May 2020 reservation at NCV. We cancelled. In reviewing our points for usage strategies last night with DW, I was reminded that these points, which would otherwise have expired 1.30.21, were extended to 12.31.21. They are in a holding account but can be used up to 120 days prior to arrival (rather than the usual 60).

My question: we have 1,605 points (175 in a holding account) which are still set to expire 1.30.21. Could you make a reservation and then cancel it in a couple of weeks / months due to "COVID concerns" and get the expiration reset to 12.31.21 based on the new rules they announced? I didn't know if there was some kind of prohibition that those rules don't apply to reservations made after the exception was made. I would certainly understand if that was the case.

Assumed some TUGger had already tested this out. Sorry if I missed another thread where this is detailed.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Yes you can. Many of us have done it. You can book and cancel the next day if you wish.

But the non holding account points can also still be banked correct? That would keep those, at least, out of the 120 day restriction.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. Many of us have done it. You can book and cancel the next day if you wish.

But the non holding account points can also still be banked correct? That would keep those, at least, out of the 120 day restriction.

Nope. The non-holding account points have already been banked to their current expiry of 1.30.21.

I assume reservation should be both made for and cancelled >60 days out in the future so when it gets cancelled it doesn't go into holding.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Nope. The non-holding account points have already been banked to their current expiry of 1.30.21.

I assume reservation should be both made for and cancelled >60 days out in the future so when it gets cancelled it doesn't go into holding.
If you have no use for the points during the rest of this year, make a ressie with both, inside of 60 days, and then cancel the next day and all of those points will be placed into a 120 holding account expiring 12/31/21 (some have reported system may show 12/31/20 as expiry right away, but within a week or so, they will update the expiration to 12/31/21).