• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cottages at King's Creek Plantation

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
any recommendations for a building/location? And does anyone know if the units have been refurbished?

We're Marriott owners, got a 2BR at The Cottages in a trade for a MGV lockoff. Looking forward to visiting Williamsburg in early June, just not sure what to expect from the resort as the reviews on TUG are dated and not too positive.

Thanks!

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The 2brs at the Cottages are very large and nice. It's the 1brs that generally get the poor reviews, because they're quite small. We stayed there in...late 2009? We thought the 2br side was great, super-spacious and well equipped. Have a good time!

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
The kings creek website had floor plans of the three different cottages. I think that two have the bedrooms upstairs and one has bedroom downstairs. These ones look over the ravine.
When we were last staying there we were in the towns and walked past the cottages to get to the pool etc.
There are many many streets of cottages and I would ask for one nearer one of the pools.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We're used to the Marriott "luxury factor" also, but we got an XYZ week last year and used it to visit KCP in the Fall (glorious foliage season), mostly because of the VERY close proximity to Colonial Wmsbg. Had a choice of resorts and purposely chose KCP. We stayed in the Townes units, and enjoyed it tremendously. We liked being in a different layout for a change, and the small extra room off the master BR was great......she watched TV in the master, and i watched my shows in the extra "study", as i called it. Had my own sofa and big TV, separated from master by French doors....perfect! (((I hear that the different unit types at KCP are all similar and have the same feel, so it doesn't really matter in which you find yourself.)))

Used living room too, but only when we watched the same shows. The unit was not as nice as a typical Marriott, but it was definitely not bad either. Master BR was spacious, bathrooms were very big, and second BR (had anyone else been there with us) was at the other end of the unit, very privately located, and I remember remarking that it would have been nice to have that separation had we had accompanying guests. Overall, very comfortable.

If you want to get out a tape measure and measure the wall thicknesses, or run your white gloves along the baseboard, you may find the unit slightly below Marriott, but really, who cares? It's not noticeable anyway unless you have a lot of time on your hands, AND a complaining attitude. If you're there to enjoy Wmsbg, and enjoy a different unit layout (which I thought very cool), I promise you that you'll not be "offended" by staying there. I've read those reviews too and it makes me laugh. I'd love to see those people's homes....and I'd love for them to see mine....

I like something different once in a while, and the resort was just fine. We are very picky, and we were happy. I'm familiar with Manor Club, been there, and to be honest, the location factor of KCP superceded the draw of Manor Club's luxury, and i would definitely stay at KCP again. We were active and didn't spend a lot of time in the unit, so it didn't matter. Had it mattered, we would have still been happy. They remind me of relatively inexpensively built townhouses in any given city's suburbs----- and for a week, no problem. I'd give it a 7.5 compared to most Marriotts' 9.5.

And don't get me wrong---Manor Club is one of Marriott's finest, as we all know who have had the privilege of staying there. gorgeous area, gorgeous units---just beautiful.
If I owned in Wmsbg, it would be at Manor Club, but for a spontaneous visit, KCP was a lot of fun......more than adequate.

As to location of KCP (SEE MAP BELOW, specifically regarding proximity to the three things I wanted): (1) Driving in, KCP was easy to find and easiest to get to, just off the expressway (only 2 quick turns----the easiest compared to most other resorts), (2) also close to Col. Wmsbg (took about 5 minutes or less), and also (3) when we went to visit the James River Plantation homes, we jumped right on the correct highway just outside the resort gate (Hwy 199 to John Tyler Hwy). VERY convenient.

see aerial map for convenient location:
(1)we came in on Hwy 64; (2) also, easy trip to Colo. Wmsbg as seen; and (3) Hwy 199 to John Tyler Hwy for travel to Plantation homes---THE highlight of trip!)
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=King'...+Lane,+Williamsburg,+VA&radius=15000&t=h&z=13

Last edited:

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

great info, everyone - I appreciate your responses! I'll post a review after our trip.