• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco In Our Local News

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Apparently they are going to require proof of membership to eat at the food court starting March 16 in Southern California. It was all over the news last night, and people are grumbling about it on our local Facebook.

Then this was posted on Nextdoor last evening:

Scam on Elderly at Costco (on Lomita in Torrance) Parking Lot
I was at Costco this evening picking up meds for our dog. As I was walking to the entrance, I noticed a car with all sorts of detailing supplies around it. I thought it was peculiar that someone would decide to detail their car in the Costco parking lot. As I was walking back to my car after going to the pharmacy, I noticed a guy wiping wax in different places on the same car I had passed by earlier. I looked again and noticed he was talking to an elderly woman. It seemed really strange that an elderly woman would hire a mobile detailer to meet her at Costco to have her car worked on. I decided to take my cart back in their direction so I could hear some of the conversation. All I could hear was the guy explaining about the products he was spreading on the car and that she would need to wipe it off the next day--I thought how is this woman who is approximately 80 years old going to be able to wipe all that stuff off her car? I walked by a couple more times in hopes of getting more information. Finally, he left the woman alone and went to his truck. I walked up to the woman and asked if she was okay. She said he was charging her for the work he had done. She said he wanted $500.00 and that he was going to take her to her bank so she could withdraw the money. I asked her if she had asked him to detail her car and she said she was just trying to go to Costco and he started doing stuff to her car. She also said another man (probably in on the scam as well) came over and told her that she needed to pay him the $500.00. I told her you aren't paying him a dime. She was scared and told me to be careful because he was going to come back. When he did come back, I told him that she isn't paying him a thing. He argued with me and said I had no idea what I was talking about and that he had taken scratches out and polished various areas of her car. I told him again that she is not paying him and that I was calling the police. While I was on the phone with the police, I could overhear him tell her things like, "Oh so that's how it's going to be, huh?" and "Wow, you have me do work for you and then you're not going to pay me". She was trying to assuage his anger and telling him I was a friend of hers. Eventually, the police officer/dispatcher asked to speak to the woman. As she was talking to them, he skulked away, got in his car, and left. The woman thanked me for stopping and helping her as she didn't know what she was going to do. BTW, because she hadn't paid him, the person from police said no crime had been committed so no officer was dispatched. Please warn your family, friends, parents as it seems he preys on people, in this case the elderly, who may not put up an argument to a guy that towers over them--he towered over me too so I can imagine how she could feel powerless. The guy was about 6' 2", in his mid to late 20s, and wearing a blue mechanic type shirt with a Chevron badge. He has dark brown hair and a dark tan. He was driving a black Chevy Z71.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Thank you for getting involved and helping that woman.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
It’s truly despicable how ppl target the elderly.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you notify management at Costco? There are no solicitation signs posted at Costco stores and this includes their parking lots.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a known scam- an offshoot of the 'window washer' guys that spray stuff on a car's windshield at a stop light then want the driver to pay to get it wiped (or squeegee'd) off.

I had a guy do that to my semi-tractor in Manhattan. He reached in to threaten me and I ran the window up with him standing on the running board and his arm in the top of the window. He didn't enjoy the 2-3 block ride I gave him.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you notify management at Costco? There are no solicitation signs posted at Costco stores and this includes their parking lots.
My very thought... but this was reported on Nextdoor so we cannot get an answer here.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently they are going to require proof of membership to eat at the food court starting March 16 in Southern California.
I hadn't heard that, but it's a welcome change to me. I'll also be happy if they stop all the other services to non-members.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
At some locations where weather is usually nice, the food court is actually outside and not inside. I know that the Hawaii locations are like that. As a result many have cottoned on to the fact that food is cheap at the food court. Especially in HI where the prices are the same as the US. The 150 club (dog and drink for $1.50) in HI is likely one of the cheapest meal you can find. I don't know how they could check everyone's membership card in HI, but I guess it would be like checking out, you now would have to show your card.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great news for Hawaii Kai Costco members. We have to avoid Costco between 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. because it Is difficult to find parking from all the people that are going To food court and forget trying to get anything to eat during those hours unless you are willing to stand in line for 10 minutes. The cause is that we are close to the beach and it is an easy stop on the way home or when going to the beach to pick up food. Lots of kids there hanging out in their bathing suits and most of them never go in the store. The parking will improve when this rule goes into affect. That is the biggest benefit.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Where was this? The police were wrong not to come out. If the story is true, and he started putting "stuff" on her car without her consent, it is a crime in and of itself. And likely is also false imprisonment, elder abuse, and or extortion.

In any event, law enforcement should certainly respond just to get details, description of the guy to track the occurrences, and advise other officers to BOL.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope Costco management contacted the local police department and file a complaint of concern for not responding to customer concerns of destroying personal property.