• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco car rentals - something interesting maybe

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No. As posted elsewhere, Budget has insufficient staff, long lines (at least during my experiences with them at this particular location), no automated checkin process similar to Alamo, and pushes hard for unnecessary insurance. Avis may have similar issues at Maui, but I think I've only rented once from them there and it was okay. Advantage was good a couple of times and then I had a very poor experience and won't consider them unless it's a huge price difference (unlikely).

I've posted my experiences elsewhere in more detail. Suffice it to say that if you don't mind long lines then Budget is your go to rental option on Maui.

Sent from my iPad

Does having Budget Fastbreak help in Hawaii? Budget usually isn't my first choice, but lately they've been coming in with some of the lowest prices. We did use them in San Diego and with the Fastbreak it really sped things us. Right now Budget has the lowest prices for the Big Island in April, but who knows what will happen by then.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Does having Budget Fastbreak help in Hawaii? Budget usually isn't my first choice, but lately they've been coming in with some of the lowest prices. We did use them in San Diego and with the Fastbreak it really sped things us. Right now Budget has the lowest prices for the Big Island in April, but who knows what will happen by then.

Not when I was there, or I wasn't able to use it. I believe we've discussed this previously...budget requires a commitment of x number rentals each year for membership to use their systems...Alamo doesn't...

Sent from my iPad

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Not when I was there, or I wasn't able to use it. I believe we've discussed this previously...budget requires a commitment of x number rentals each year for membership to use their systems...Alamo doesn't...

Sent from my iPad

Oh that's right. I think it's something like 3 rentals in a year. I'm not sure if my Fastbreak is still valid. I just got it when we used it for San Diego, so we may still be within the first year.

I've found the car rental agencies on the Big Island to all be about equally as fast/slow though. :D

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
What is the name of that service that will look up your car entail rate and notify you if its cheeper in Hawaii?

Per other thread... I probably booked and canceled 10 reservations for LIH over 6 months. Started at $620 for 14 day rental, and ended up at $292. This was for an Intermediate car That was not available when we arrived so got full size (4dr Nissan Altima) - Alamo.

Alamo also has self-service kiosks - which makes things so much smoother. I was surprise that there were no kiosks for Avis (at OGG) - what a hassle waiting in line with just 2 people working.
The Avis rental was done by friend who went thru Avis (not Costco) for a Family Van - $555 for the week (ouch) - I checked Costco and it was $420, but they thought they were getting the best price directly thru Avis (and they were paying, so...).

btw - YMMV, but Costco (I'm my case) outdid AutoSlash and DiscountHI. I understand AS will match Costco, but Costco makes it so easy no reason to change.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What is the name of that service that will look up your car entail rate and notify you if its cheeper in Hawaii?

autoslash is the one I've used.

Right now it seems like prices for Hawaii (and other places) are going up through Costco.

We have a reservation made through Costco for two weeks on the Big Island in Apri, 2016. Full size car, current reservation with Costco is $318 all in. Current price on the Costco website is $347 (it was as high as $389 a few days ago).

We also have a reservation through Costco for a week in MO in March. I have an autoslash search as well and haven't heard anything from them.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other $$ saving item to consider is often off-airport rental locations are often cheaper than those at the airport. In some cases the difference can be $100 or more.

You have to balance out the inconvenience, time spent and travel to get to the off airport location to the cost savings but an hour of my time to save $100 or more from a weeks stay is often worth it to me.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Other $$ saving item to consider is often off-airport rental locations are often cheaper than those at the airport. In some cases the difference can be $100 or more.

You have to balance out the inconvenience, time spent and travel to get to the off airport location to the cost savings but an hour of my time to save $100 or more from a weeks stay is often worth it to me.

Off airport may be faster. Just get in a taxi and take it to the off airport location. On the return drop the car off (less high priced gas stations) and get uber to take you right to departures.

Downside is availability and alternate rental car companies will be less.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Off airport may be faster. Just get in a taxi and take it to the off airport location. On the return drop the car off (less high priced gas stations) and get uber to take you right to departures.

Downside is availability and alternate rental car companies will be less.

I should note I did that with Avis a year ago in Austin and the airport location is the mothership for them and the off airport location encouraged me to return the car directly to the airport at no additional cost.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Keep checking as the Costco rates will most likely change again. I was able to book April on the Big Island with Costco (Alamo) yesterday after my Costco membership was renewed. :D We're still at $495 for a full size for two weeks. Hoping to see that drop quite a bit.

I just booked at standard SUV for $357.84 for our trip next August thru Costco….thanks everyone...

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Luanne….thanks so much

autoslash is the one I've used.

Right now it seems like prices for Hawaii (and other places) are going up through Costco.

We have a reservation made through Costco for two weeks on the Big Island in Apri, 2016. Full size car, current reservation with Costco is $318 all in. Current price on the Costco website is $347 (it was as high as $389 a few days ago).

We also have a reservation through Costco for a week in MO in March. I have an autoslash search as well and haven't heard anything from them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Renting from Alamo in Maui this week for 10 days and Costco won out again. All prices are after taxes and fees.

2/15, Alamo, Premium car: $332.34
2/15, Alamo, Premium car: $306.68 (yes, same day the price dropped)
6/30, Alamo, Intermediate SUV: $256.36
11/18, Alamo, Fullsize: $220.42
11/30, Alamo, Fullsize: $203.97 - $20 Costco cash card = $183.97

$18.40 per day for a fullsize rental is excellent.

The best Autoslash could do was $200.33 for a standard car at Budget. Since I dislike the Budget rental experience (at least in Maui) it's worth more to rent elsewhere...though in this instance I'm saving another $16.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Renting from Alamo in Maui this week for 10 days and Costco won out again. All prices are after taxes and fees.

2/15, Alamo, Premium car: $332.34
2/15, Alamo, Premium car: $306.68 (yes, same day the price dropped)
6/30, Alamo, Intermediate SUV: $256.36
11/18, Alamo, Fullsize: $220.42
11/30, Alamo, Fullsize: $203.97 - $20 Costco cash card = $183.97

$18.40 per day for a fullsize rental is excellent.

The best Autoslash could do was $200.33 for a standard car at Budget. Since I dislike the Budget rental experience (at least in Maui) it's worth more to rent elsewhere...though in this instance I'm saving another $16.

I found the cheapest rate with Costco on 10/17. It's been going up ever since. We have a full size for two weeks on the Big Island in April for $318. When I checked to day it was $397. It's been a little lower than that, but never as low as what we got in October. This is with Alamo.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I found the cheapest rate with Costco on 10/17. It's been going up ever since. We have a full size for two weeks on the Big Island in April for $318. When I checked to day it was $397. It's been a little lower than that, but never as low as what we got in October. This is with Alamo.

Big Island is not Maui. April is not December.

It's still very possible prices will be lower closer to your travel date. That was the point of my post. I reserved the least expensive option each time (for intermediate class and above).

Sent from my iPad

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Big Island is not Maui. April is not December.

It's still very possible prices will be lower closer to your travel date. That was the point of my post. I reserved the least expensive option each time (for intermediate class and above).

Sent from my iPad

Possible yes. And I will keep checking. I've found in the past the sweet spot seems to be several months out, then the prices start going up.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Possible yes. And I will keep checking. I've found in the past the sweet spot seems to be several months out, then the prices start going up.

And yet mine dropped just now days prior to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I think it pays to watch all the way to pickup time. In the past I've had the
Price drop often, all the way toward pickup day but the last few years my
Experience has mirrored Luanne's. The last two trips the price has gone way up
Close to pickup.

Right now the price is three times what I have it booked for with 75 days to go.
It's been that way for months but I'll keep watching. I really don't think I'll get
A better price though. I have a full size for $299 all in for 2 weeks and I'm very
Happy with that.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I also suggest you review other size cars that would work for you. Often times smaller is not necessarily cheaper.

I just booked a trip to Honolulu for next October. As I always do, as soon as I have firm dates, I'll try to reserve a car for the same time, to lock down what may end up being the best rate. In this case, as I was looking things over on the Costco site, I was going to take an Intermediate car from Budget, for about $240 for the week. That was the best Intermediate rate Costco offered. But glancing down the page to see if there was something better, I noticed that Alamo had a Full Size car for $168, all-in. It was a no-brainer. A Ford Fusion is not that large a car, and certainly would work for us. So I grabbed that one. I'll keep checking, but $24 a day including taxes is a great rate to start with for Hawaii.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yep, same thing happen to me on this trip. We needed a full size because we
Had another couple going with us for a week. While I was looking the full size
Was the cheapest. Worked out great for us. Now the other couple can't go but
The full size is still the cheapest so I kept it. I'll keep watching, you never know
But Daves right watch all sizes.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I reserved for December 3 in Kona over a month ago, and found $388 for a compact through Costco. I put it on autoslash and found $320 plus a $25 Costco card about Nov 30, but $308 on December 2, so that's what I got.

I noticed that at some times, for some companies, bigger cars were a few dollars cheaper than smaller ones. Clearly demand is being managed.

Upon arrival, Budget didn't have any compacts ready, so I got a double upgrade to a Nissan Altima for the same price.

They didn't ask to see the Costco card -- no one ever has.