• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Corrupt svchost

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I have been able to figure out, one of the svchost.exe has been corrupted: excessive CPU time, lots of hard drive activity. It is making the system extremly slow and somwhat useless.:mad:

I Googled and found there is some downloads that purport to fix corrupt svchost.exe's. I am always a little nervous about downloading things from the INet that mess with the computer. Anyone had any experience with any of the software downloads that fix svchost problems that you would endorse?

I am tempted to just haul it in to the Microsoft Store and have them service it.

Cheers,

Paul

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
have any usb devices or hubs plugged in (other than keyboard and mouse?)

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
USB Devices

The device manager tells me all of the devices on the USB Ports are working properly. The one is flash card reader that accepts four different configurations of flash memories I suppose that could be considered a hub.

On Friday I got and error message that one of the ports wasn't working correctly, but I think the cable that was plugged in had come a little loose. It is the cable to my MP3 Player and it seem to charge it OK.

Why do you think this might be a USB device?

What I think I will do is shut down the system, unplug the device and then reboot and see what happens.

It is really too bad these systems are so complex. Like trying to work on your own car!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Paul

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
USB Ports

Unplugged the flash card reader, rebooted, but the problem still exists. Darn!:(

Cheers,

Paul

rosebud5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried running "Task Manager"? Press <ctrl><alt><del> and click the processes tab. You can sort on the %CPU utilization to see what the hog is. There are usually many svchost images running at the same time. You right click any svchost image and determine what service is running. Many services run that are not needed. From there you can disable that service.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just happened to me awahile back (same problem)...turned out to be the usb hub I had.

only thing I could do to fix the problem was to unplug all usb items (minus keyboard and mouse of course)...and boot the system without them installed.

then plug it back in after windows was running. was very bizarre.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
PC Fixed

Just to close the loop on this. I took the unit into the MicroSoft Store at the MOA. After about 45 minutes of discussion they decided to send it in for a Tune Up. Got it back last Friday and everything is now fine:whoopie:

The tech notes were that it was missing some drivers (how?), the start up was cleaned up as was the registry.

The big thing was, I had them uninstall McAfee and install MS Security Essentials. McAfee has been driving me nuts for sometime, it (mcshield.exe) seems to hog the CPU at start up :mad: and then on other occasions as well. My subscription was good through August; I just blew it off. I had planned to switch to something else in August anyway.

The machine runs a lot faster with Essentials. I am going to add another gig of memory, and that should speed things up even more.

Anyone out there use Essentials?

Cheers,

Paul

All is good!!!!