• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Corona on Hawaii

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

Following on this weekend's announcement of two Mainland visitors on Kauai testing positive for the coronavirus, Maui County reported its first case and Oahu counted its third last night. The latest cases bring Hawaii's total number of COVID-19 cases to six.

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked out the link in the opening post and found this disturbing account:

"A couple arriving on Mauii from Indiana flew directly to Maui on March 2. Both became sick and visited urgent care facilities but did not reveal that they had previously been in close contact with a COVID-19 positive patient.

The man and woman, both with symptoms, flew to Kauai on Hawaiian Airlines 149 on March 8 and stayed in the Kaua'i Marriott Resort. The next day, one went to another urgent care clinic and was given antibiotics.

On March 12, the same patient visited the Wilcox Medical Center and it was there that the couple disclosed their previous close contact with the coronavirus case.

Three health care workers who came into contact with the couple did not have appropriate personal protection gear and have been kept off the job while self-isolating in case they were exposed to the virus."

This is exactly why we canceled our trip that was supposed to start on Monday. We are not ill at this time, but I did not want to be the person unknowingly bringing the virus with me, nor did I want to pick up the virus on a crowded plane. I did not want to worry about having to self-isolate in any of the places rented to us. Our travel protection policy won't pay for our canceled lodging or any disruption caused by potential quarantine or self-isolation, but we chose to lose cash rather than put ourselves or anyone else at risk. Thankfully, the owners renting to us have offered to reimburse at least some of our payments. We very much appreciate their understanding and fair practice.

I hope the exposed health care workers and everyone else on Kauai will be safe and healthy.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I checked out the link in the opening post and found this disturbing account:

"A couple arriving on Mauii from Indiana flew directly to Maui on March 2. Both became sick and visited urgent care facilities but did not reveal that they had previously been in close contact with a COVID-19 positive patient.

The man and woman, both with symptoms, flew to Kauai on Hawaiian Airlines 149 on March 8 and stayed in the Kaua'i Marriott Resort. The next day, one went to another urgent care clinic and was given antibiotics.

On March 12, the same patient visited the Wilcox Medical Center and it was there that the couple disclosed their previous close contact with the coronavirus case.

Three health care workers who came into contact with the couple did not have appropriate personal protection gear and have been kept off the job while self-isolating in case they were exposed to the virus."

This is exactly why we canceled our trip that was supposed to start on Monday. We are not ill at this time, but I did not want to be the person unknowingly bringing the virus with me, nor did I want to pick up the virus on a crowded plane. I did not want to worry about having to self-isolate in any of the places rented to us. Our travel protection policy won't pay for our canceled lodging or any disruption caused by potential quarantine or self-isolation, but we chose to lose cash rather than put ourselves or anyone else at risk. Thankfully, the owners renting to us have offered to reimburse at least some of our payments. We very much appreciate their understanding and fair practice.

I hope the exposed health care workers and everyone else on Kauai will be safe and healthy.
The really disgusting part about this report is the couple knew they had been exposed. When they went to urgent care on Maui they DID NOT tell them about the exposure. Several Health care workers are now self quarantined because they didn't know and didn't take proper precautions. When the couple was diagnosed with coronavirus they still flew on to Kaui, and now they are in urgent care. Dh says they should be fed to the sharks.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I think we are still a day or two away from finding out if this is relatively contained or widespread.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Okay, I know this is lame and inappropriate, but after seeing the title of this thread, I couldn't resist. I did find Corona in Hawaii last month, right in our parking lot in Poipu.

1584323612742.png

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Okay, I know this is lame and inappropriate, but after seeing the title of this thread, I couldn't resist. I did find Corona in Hawaii last month, right in our parking lot in Poipu.

View attachment 17965

I like it!! I was going to post a picture of my wife’s empty Corona bottle with the lime on the bottom.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

View attachment 17965
Why would you drink Corona when you are in Hawaii? There are all of those great local brews.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I just talked to my elderly mother and brother in Honolulu today.
They hadn't seen much if any on the news about COVID in Hawaii.
My mother was unaware of the run on TP on the mainland,
Believe me any whiff of home isolation would have the locals clearing out the TP just as fast as anywhere else! :p

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I just talked to my elderly mother and brother in Honolulu today.
They hadn't seen much if any on the news about COVID in Hawaii.
My mother was unaware of the run on TP on the mainland,
Believe me any whiff of home isolation would have the locals clearing out the TP just as fast as anywhere else! :p

7 cases reported here on Hawaii and TP has been an issue for almost two weeks now but it depends where you shop.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why would you drink Corona when you are in Hawaii? There are all of those great local brews.

We love the local beers here but also like a Corona once in a while. It’s very lite and one of my wife’s favorites.:thumbup:

Kapolei

Reaction score
If anyone gets stuck on Oahu without toilet paper, send me a PM. I got an extra roll or two that I can spare.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If anyone gets stuck on Oahu without toilet paper, send me a PM. I got an extra roll or two that I can spare.

I’ll remember that in a pinch. :) We haven’t been around looking for any. We have only checked to SafeWay we always shop at. We should be good for a while but it depends how long it takes to restock.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We love the local beers here but also like a Corona once in a while. It’s very lite and one of my wife’s favorites.:thumbup:

In blind beer tasting by beer experts of Mexican Beers Corona routinely comes in at the bottom. Even Tecate rates higher. Lime is a Gringo thing to hide the taste of beer.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
7 cases reported here on Hawaii and TP has been an issue for almost two weeks now but it depends where you shop.

Sorry, that's too bad. My mother doesn't shop any more. My brother usually shops at the PX (retired military).

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In blind beer tasting by beer experts of Mexican Beers Corona routinely comes in at the bottom. Even Tecate rates higher. Lime is a Gringo thing to hide the taste of beer.

I’ll answer for my wife, she don’t care, she likes it.:)

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Yes, like Kona's Lavaman! @DaveNW likes a few of their brews as well.

Went to Dragon's Nostrils today (off of Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail). Seriously contemplated stopping by Kona Brewing on our way home, especially since Lavaman is only sold on tap now...

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I normally don't like fruity beer, but I did get Kona Hanalei Island IPA for our fridge. It has just a hint of POG juice in it. The draft version of it at Pietro’s Pizza and Pasta was really good.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, like Kona's Lavaman! @DaveNW likes a few of their brews as well.

Went to Dragon's Nostrils today (off of Makapu'u Point Lighthouse Trail). Seriously contemplated stopping by Kona Brewing on our way home, especially since Lavaman is only sold on tap now...

I like their LongBoard and Big Wave. It wasn’t as fun when I could start buying it in Wisconsin when we lived there. I like Lihue Lager from Kauai Beer Company the best.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I normally don't like fruity beer, but I did get Kona Hanalei Island IPA for our fridge. It has just a hint of POG juice in it. The draft version of it at Pietro’s Pizza and Pasta was really good.

Thanks for that Art, I’ll have to try that next time I am there for dinner.:thumbup:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pau Hana Pilsner brewed by Maui Brewing was my 2nd favorite beer while we were there. I couldn't quite drink all of it, and gave the rest away to the guys that were grilling. I did manage to finish off the Hana Bay Dark Rum. I'd hate to leave good rum behind.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pau Hana Pilsner brewed by Maui Brewing was my 2nd favorite beer while we were there. I couldn't quite drink all of it, and gave the rest away to the guys that were grilling. I did manage to finish off the Hana Bay Dark Rum. I'd hate to leave good rum behind.

I have tried the Bikini Blonde but the last two times I was at Maui Brewing they were out of the Pau Hana. I’ll keep trying.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are commercial planes still flying to Hawaii from the States of Washington and California and are commercial planes from Hawaii back to the mainland in the United States .?

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are commercial planes still flying to Hawaii from the States of Washington and California and are commercial planes from Hawaii back to the mainland in the United States .?
My son and his new bride are booked for their honeymoon starting Sun at WKORVN. We live in CA and the Gov is asking for gatherings of no more than 50 people only, people 65 and older to self isolate, mayor of LA just shut down restaurants except for to go. They are going to postpone the wedding but we’re going to lick their wounds in Maui anyway but now that doesn’t seem like that will happen either. The people in Gov in the different states are making recommendations daily. I think they have gone completely overboard in an abundance of caution. The number of cases in our huge population seems very small. My heart aches for my son and for the community as a whole who are being affected so negatively in their wallet.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I like their LongBoard and Big Wave. It wasn’t as fun when I could start buying it in Wisconsin when we lived there. I like Lihue Lager from Kauai Beer Company the best.

It's hard for me to say Kona is Hawaiian since it is now owned by Anheuser-Busch. Yes, I'm a beer snob.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
The number of cases in our huge population seems very small.
Unfortunately, the number of diagnosed/confirmed cases is very small because testing was so stringently limited for such a long time. As testing expands, more cases will be diagnosed. Hopefully, the upside of this will be that the death rate will decrease, as more people with moderate but not fatal illness are confirmed to be COVID-19 cases.