• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

converting SA weeks to points?

sweetbir

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 3 SA weeks. 2 are 2br red durban sands and 1 is 1 br Sudwala
week 26/peak. I've read some discussion on buying some inexpensive points and converting the 3 weeks into points in the account.

what do you think about the advantages of this and the disadvantages?

TIA,

Heidi

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's What We Did.

We joined RCI Points last year in a small-potatoes way (15,000 annual points) so that we can do Points For Deposit if we choose with our banked non-points weeks, including our standard-grade 2BR South African timeshare resort.

We already had our 2006 & 2007 SA weeks banked, so we left 2007 in the weeks-exchange system & did Points For Deposit with our banked 2006 week.

We get full points-equivalent value for our week up till 90 days before check-in, so there's no rush to do Points For Deposit with that banked 2007 week.

Meanwhile, we split our 2006 USA 2BR lock-off week into its separate 1BR & 2BR components & did Points For Deposit with the 2006 1BR suite & are in the process of renting out the 2BR condo to cover the year's maintenance fee.

So far, the way joining RCI Points has worked out is...
  • We can do points reservations.
  • We can keep doing week-for-week exchanges.
  • We can deposit our floating USA week into weeks or points, or use it ourselves.
  • We can do Points For Deposit or regular weeks-exchange deposits with our SA weeks.
Weeks & points & home-resort use -- maximum timeshare vacation flexibility.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
AwayWeGo said:
We joined RCI Points last year in a small-potatoes way (15,000 annual points) so that we can do Points For Deposit if we choose with our banked non-points weeks, including our standard-grade 2BR South African timeshare resort.

Alan:

Are you willing to share where you purchased 15,000 pts?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
eBay

Got'm from an eBay timeshare broker in 2005. Just sniped in during the closing seconds of the on-line auction & bought the points-timeshare for a ridiculous price. Closing costs, RCI Points membership, resort fees, etc., took the total outlay up near $1,000 (including the winning eBay bid).

Also got my non-points Floating Diamond 3BR lock-off Orlando FL timeshare from an eBay timeshare broker in 2003 -- but not from the same 1 I bought the points timeshare from. (Sniped in, bought for ridiculous price, etc. -- my trademark eBay M.O.) But that's another story.

After you get eBay going on your computer screen, just type RCI Points in that search box up at the top-right corner of the page, click, & see what points timeshares are currently up for auction.

We were about to spring for a small non-eBay points package from a resale broker who advertises in the TUG classifieds -- the same guy, as it happens, who sold us our non-points non-USA timeshare in 2002. The cheapest entry-level points package he was offering at the time -- about 12,000 points as I recall -- totaled about $500 more than our eBay foray into points (but annual fees were lower). Even so, that's not a bad way to go if he's still offering small points deals in the neighborhood of $1,500 & you don't find anything you like better on eBay.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought one RCI Points resort in your state named Sam Rayburn over 2 years ago for a total price of $795 and get 11,500 yearly Points.

We using weeks deposits for RCI Points may have deposited a bit over 1,000,000 RCI Points or so in those to years.

We recently bought another RCI Points resort in Las Vegas to replace our Texas one once RCI gets it entered into their data system. We intend to use our Las Vegas ownership maybe for our own personal use or rent it out to at least cover our maintenace fees in stead of getting the yearly 53,500 RCI Points from RCI.

But each person IMHO has to figure out which way of doing RCI Points best fits their overall timesharing wants and needs.

In my case your SA's would not work out as good for us because of the higher on going yealy maintenance fees cost compared to the amount of yearly RCI Points generated.

But to each their way on how to best use the RCI Points system. What may be best way for most of the RCI Points crowd may not be thev best way for your wants and needs.

Bruce :D

sweetbir said:
I have 3 SA weeks. 2 are 2br red durban sands and 1 is 1 br Sudwala
week 26/peak. I've read some discussion on buying some inexpensive points and converting the 3 weeks into points in the account.

what do you think about the advantages of this and the disadvantages?

TIA,

Heidi

Last edited:

SteveChapin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether it's worth it or not depends on which timeshare and what the levies are.

We get 53,500 for our 3BR red Dikhololo, and the MF are still reasonable.

We get 38,000 for our 2BR White Gethlane, and the MF are too expensive to make it worth depositing into points.

We picked both of these up from Herb a couple of years ago, and are overall quite happy with them. We got into points through Jerry N. last fall, and got a good deal (in overall $ per point in purchase price and MF). So, for us, it's worth it to keep the Dik week for now; we'll probably sell the Gethlane or just use it for trading in weeks.

sc
--

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
SteveChapin said:
Whether it's worth it or not depends on which timeshare and what the levies are.

We get 53,500 for our 3BR red Dikhololo, and the MF are still reasonable.

We get 38,000 for our 2BR White Gethlane, and the MF are too expensive to make it worth depositing into points.

We picked both of these up from Herb a couple of years ago, and are overall quite happy with them. We got into points through Jerry N. last fall, and got a good deal (in overall $ per point in purchase price and MF). So, for us, it's worth it to keep the Dik week for now; we'll probably sell the Gethlane or just use it for trading in weeks.

sc
--
Very interesting discussion and I have looked at the points grid. It does take alot of points for a trade into a prime area during peak season. Wow, cannot believe the number of points for Hawaii and places in Europe. We have been to Hawaii lots of time in the peak summer season and if you have a good trader - no problem. It would take deposit of both my Dik resorts to get 1 peak week in a high demand area - definitely not worth 2 maint fees.

Almost i read that RCI now charges $30 for deposit of points. Can I ask what the exchange fee is?

Can anyone tell me about the daily stays using points? This is what I am more interested in. Is there a grid somewhere? How is the availability? Is it a last min thing or can be done in advance?

Joyce

a

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that it is a HUGE mistake buying a South Africa timeshare to use for PFD. This is due to the fact that levies increase 10-15% per year. Let's use the example of the 3br Dik unit just described. I believe the Levy is around $350 for that red 3 bedroom unit that yields 53500 RCI points. In just 4 years, that levy will be around $515 (350*1.1*1.1*1.1*1.1). At that point, your $/MF = $.01. Not a good deal at all. And, that ratio goes up every year after that.

Also, given the collapse in trading power of South Africa weeks over the past couple of years, it's probably time to dump all holdings in that once prime timesharing locale.

DorotaG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 2 weeks in 1 bdrm Sudwala (red), they each give me 26500 points. My levies for 2007 translated to $413.24 total I recently purchased Murray Valley Resort, 2 bedroom 37,000 RCI Points. Maintenance $295.00, for $1675.00 all inclusive. Yearly, with my Sudwala PFD I can get 90,000 for about $708 in maintenance fees. That is less then 0.008 per point. It works well for me.

SteveChapin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's how it works for me:

Base points: Mansfield Country, 45,900 points, $349 USD levee, $.0076/pt.

PFD: Dik week, 53,500 points, $350 MF, $26 PFD fee, $.0070/pt.

CMV UDI Cottage: 1 red, 2 white weeks = 43,500 + 28,500 + 28,500 = 100,500 points, $650 MF + $78 PFD fee + $144 housekeeping fee = $872, = $.0086/point.

This assumes that I deposit my red week at CMV rather than rent it, and that I don't generate any more than the 3 weeks/year minimum with that UDI. If I do that, my average cost per point is $.0079, not super, but nothing bad either, and in fact, my Dik week is the cheapest (in MF) of my weeks. It certainly will not be so, in the future.

Any additional weeks generated by my UDI come in at $74/week, either red or white, and are deposited for 1/2 points, so they're at $.0034 for a red week and .0051 for a white week. A more realistic scenario is that I rent my summer red CMV week for $520 net, and generate 4 extra weeks from the UDI, 1 red and 3 white. The math then converts the CMV line to be:

2 white weeks @ 28,500, 3 white weeks @ 14,250, and 1 red week at 21,750, or 121500 points for a net cost of 130 (MF) + 288 (housekeeping) + 156 (PFD fee) = $574, or .0047/point.

That would my overall math for the year out to be $1299 for 220,900 points, or $.0058/point. I can possibly do better, but I know the worst I'll do is $.0086/point. I can live with that. When the time comes, I'll sell the Dikhololo and pick up another UDI contract if I can find one (and if PFD still makes it worth doing).

I leave out my white Gethlane; it is way too expensive to make PFD worthwhile.

Regards,

sc
--

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
SteveChapin said:

CMV UDI Cottage: 1 red, 2 white weeks = 43,500 + 28,500 + 28,500 = 100,500 points, $650 MF + $78 PFD fee + $144 housekeeping fee = $872, = $.0086/point.

This assumes that I deposit my red week at CMV rather than rent it, and that I don't generate any more than the 3 weeks/year minimum with that UDI. If I do that, my average cost per point is $.0079, not super, but nothing bad either, and in fact, my Dik week is the cheapest (in MF) of my weeks. It certainly will not be so, in the future.

Any additional weeks generated by my UDI come in at $74/week, either red or white, and are deposited for 1/2 points, so they're at $.0034 for a red week and .0051 for a white week. A more realistic scenario is that I rent my summer red CMV week for $520 net, and generate 4 extra weeks from the UDI, 1 red and 3 white. The math then converts the CMV line to be:

2 white weeks @ 28,500, 3 white weeks @ 14,250, and 1 red week at 21,750, or 121500 points for a net cost of 130 (MF) + 288 (housekeeping) + 156 (PFD fee) = $574, or .0047/point.

That would my overall math for the year out to be $1299 for 220,900 points, or $.0058/point. I can possibly do better, but I know the worst I'll do is $.0086/point. I can live with that. When the time comes, I'll sell the Dikhololo and pick up another UDI contract if I can find one (and if PFD still makes it worth doing).

Regards,

sc
--

Steve,

I think you have provided a sound analysis of your weeks. I like how you consider the extra weeks coming out of your UDIs as bonus weeks. That's smart because availability at Christmas Mountain Village is dwindling with every Tugger who purchases one and uses it to pound the points. There are 17 deeds per UDI, so over the long term, you should only expect 1 red, 1 white and 1 blue week per year. At this time, you should be having a hard time booking white weeks. And, it will get even more difficult with every year.

SteveChapin

TUG Member
Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
Steve,

I think you have provided a sound analysis of your weeks. I like how you consider the extra weeks coming out of your UDIs as bonus weeks. That's smart because availability at Christmas Mountain Village is dwindling with every Tugger who purchases one and uses it to pound the points. There are 17 deeds per UDI, so over the long term, you should only expect 1 red, 1 white and 1 blue week per year. At this time, you should be having a hard time booking white weeks. And, it will get even more difficult with every year.

I wonder if BlueGreen's push to convert those UDIs to BlueGreen points has any effect on this. Anyone know what happens to a UDI contraact if one accepts the Points option?

sc
--

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, the numbers you used are so very wrong and miss leading as per the Bluegreen record of reservations made on just one of our UDI ownerships as shown farther below in this post.

I am sure that this was just a innocent mistake on you part made due to a lack of CMV UDI usage rights knowledge on your part.

Steve the reason IMHO why your math is way off base on our UDI costs is you give the vastly inaccurate impression that a CMV UDI will only get 3 weeks per year. That is blantly incorrect as any knowlegdeable CMV UDI owner can tell you.

Below on that Bluegreen printout you will see that about 20 ;) confirmed yearly reservations were indeed made off of just one of our CMV UDI's for use in 2004 as show below on the Bluegreen email sent to us, and not just only three :eek: reservations that Steve decided to useto figure the CMV UDI cost per RCI Point.

If you use even only :) 12 CMV UDI weeks per year instead of your IMHO way to low quoted 3 weeks per year, then you will see and have to homestly admitt that with our rentals your SA”s will cost you over one cent more for each RCI Point than our cost for RCI Point with our UDI’s.

Also we only have to drive 140 miles many times to use our resort for only the $48 per week housekeeping fee per reservation.

Steve, what would be your cost to visit your SA’s including travel costs? Oh by the way we also have free golf and ski lift passes but did not put a value on them as they have no direct effect on the RCI Point cost like our rentals do. Do you get free golf or skiing to use like we do with our Timbers UDI’s

This printout of the reservations sent to us by Bluegreen was made from ONLY ONE of our former "Pure" CMV UDI that Cottage ownerships that we used to own, and this one of 5 CMV UDI ownerships that we have sold in the past 3 years. Note on the far right it shows the amount of the UDI housekeeping charges.
Some of those reservations that do not have our last name on them were rentals. Some of the reservations were cancelled and other better rental dates were booked in their place.

Now since Jan 2004 since getting into RCI Points I book our 7 remaining CMV UDI owerships weeks a little bit differently than I did as shown here in 2003 and 2004.

In regard to Tuggers drying up all of the excess weeks that will not happen epecially with the CMV UDI Oak Timbers. One reason is there are very few UDI ownerships that will hit the market as the the vast majority of UDI ownerships tend to be owned by people who live in less than one days drive from the resort and the CMV UDI's tend to stay in the family.

So far starting with Jan 1, of this year I have now on just one of our present CMV Cottage UDI ownerships we have already booked 9 reservations ( and cancelled one reservation)reserved so far for 2006 with amost 11 moths to go in 2006.

I have reservered two reds so far on this one CMV UDI Cottage ownership and I will galdly cover any bet one to threee bets of $10,000 that I with be able to book 3 more red reservations on this one ownership for the remainder of this year. This bet offer is open for the next 48 hours in case anyone wishes to lose some money to me. Money talks the other stuff walks.

IMHO it may be that some posters who in a way are saying say the sky (CMV UDI)is falling and there is a shortage of CMV UDI weeks just maybe already own CMV UDI's and do not want others to feast on those weeks as they are now doing.

Again this is a printout of the reservations sent to us by Bluegreen that shows ONLY ONE of my "Pure" CMV UDI that Cottage ownerships that I used to own, and this one of 5 CMV UDI ownerships that I have sold in the past 3 years

Note on the far right it shows the amount of the housekeeping charges. The Housekeeping charges at CMV are less than 1/2 of the UDI S.C.(Shenandoah Crossings in Virgina) housekeeping charges and the yearly UDI maintence fees are less at CMV that at the S.C. UDI's.

The confirmed reservations that do not have our last name on them were indeed rentals. Some of the reservations were cancelled and other better rental dates were booked in their place.

Now since Jan 2004 since getting into RCI Points I book our 7 remaining CMV UDI owerships weeks a little bit differantly than I did ias shown here in 2003 and 2004.

Boca, both you and I know one CMV UDI Cottage Tugger who is grabbing a lot a II Marriot weeks at prime resorts using CMV UDI 45 dayers during the II 60 day window.

Bruce F. Czajkowski :D

CT 511 (New) Reservations (This one we sold in 2005)

Opt Account# Reserv Name Resv# Pj Unit Week Arrive - Depart Ng Amt T U S
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B D8W8W 06 521 52 12/25/04 1/01/05 7 48 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DTN9Q 06 368 42# 10/15/04 10/22/04 7 F 2 P
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DSZD5 06 357 41# 10/08/04 10/15/04 7 F 2 R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B D6KQ8 06 529 37 9/11/04 9/17/04 6 48 F T R
** 06 CT511/11 JOHNSON, DR9SG 06 521 33 8/14/04 8/21/04 7 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C96XV 06 22617 30 7/24/04 7/31/04 7 45 F T C
** $5 06 CT511/11 WALTON, DYPZT 06 366 30 7/23/04 7/30/04 7 F 2 R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DTPD3 06 32453 25 6/18/04 6/24/04 6 45 F 2 C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DTC3W 06 25119 24 6/11/04 6/18/04 7 45 F 2 C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DQHT6 06 24543 19 5/08/04 5/14/04 6 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C650G 06 94927 17 4/30/04 5/07/04 7 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C8D2H 06 95265 17 4/30/04 5/07/04 7 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DDHYV 06 366 18# 4/30/04 5/07/04 7 F 2 P
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DDJBQ 06 358 16# 4/16/04 4/23/04 7 F 2 P
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DKNVR 06 19202 15 4/09/04 4/16/04 7 F 2 C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B DBCNK 06 366 07# 2/13/04 2/20/04 7 F 2
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CQDFT 06 169 03# 1/16/04 1/23/04 7 F 2 P
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C3NXK 06 85526 03 1/16/04 1/23/04 7 45 F 2 C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C38DZ 06 364 03# 1/16/04 1/23/04 7 F 2 R
** 06 CT511/11 COLBY, KIMBER CZW4W 06 161 52 12/26/03 1/02/04 7 F 2R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C59ZZ 06 92405 47 11/25/03 11/28/03 3 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B C108W 06 89090 45 11/08/03 11/15/03 7 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CJL19 06 528 42# 10/18/03 10/25/03 7 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CYCHQ 06 74560 38 9/22/03 9/26/03 4 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, J CF52W 06 60951 38 9/20/03 9/26/03 6 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CF1S4 06 45323 37 9/19/03 9/26/03 7 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CZW4N 06 78463 37 9/14/03 9/20/03 6 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CY2MK 06 77402 35 9/01/03 9/06/03 5 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CT4P8 06 523 35# 8/30/03 9/06/03 7 F T R
**06 CT511/11 RICHARD LAURE CBFDX 06 517 28 7/12/03 7/19/03 7 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B CG03W 06 49962 16 4/18/03 4/25/03 7 45 F 2 C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B 40898 06 18168 04 1/25/03 2/01/03 7 45 F T C

Date: 8/16/04 Vacation Club - Reservation Inquiry Time: 12:54
CZAJKOWSKI, BRUCE F *ALL
Pj/Account Alpha Name Pj/Unit Resv# Vacat# Period Tkn By/Dt T U RPC F
6 CT511/11 |

Opt Account# Reserv Name Resv# Pj Unit Week Arrive - Depart Ng Amt T U S
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B 48074 06 517 04# 1/25/03 2/01/03 7 F T R
**06 CT511/11 SHAIFER MYRA B4Z0Y 06 390 03 1/18/03 1/24/03 6 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B 18524 06 518 52# 12/28/02 1/04/03 7 F T R
**06 CT511/11 JENKINS, JANE 18035 06 308 40 10/05/02 10/11/02 6 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B 05821 06 509 34 8/26/02 8/27/02 1 45 F T R
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B 40846 06 18166 31 8/03/02 8/09/02 6 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 CZAJKOWSKI, B 48018 06 18773 31 8/03/02 8/09/02 6 45 F T C
06 CT511/11 Previous Owner 09934 06 384 35# 8/31/96 9/07/96 7 F T R

SteveChapin said:

Regards,

sc
--

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bruce,

You set the high water mark with 20 reservations on one UDI in 2004. I'll bet you $10,000 that NONE of your ownerships can book 20 reservations in 2006. And, a reservation only counts if you check in, rent or exchange/deposit the week. No booking a white week in October, cancelling it the next day and then rebooking it for the week after. The reason you can book so many weeks is that many people who own UDIs do not book any weeks in the year. Every time a Tugger buys one of those ownerships, they take up 10 or more weeks when the previous owner didn't take any. Just look at the last minute board. It used to be that only you posted last minute rentals. Now there are at least 3 people that do it. Next year there may be 5 or more.

So, owning a UDI is good for now and could be for many years to come. But, when more and more Tuggers owns one, just how many weeks can be reserved by each owner? As with everything in timesharing, especially in weeks, it's probably better to remember that "loose lips, sinks ships."

SteveChapin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bruce,

Yes, I'm very new to CMV UDI. My calculations were based on a "worst case" scenario, and a "modest case" scenario. I did not attempt to go to a "best case" scenario, because I'm not sure what is a reasonable best case. You and other
experienced UDI Tuggers know far better than I do. I haven't even begun
to explore II.

I wasn't intending to make UDIs sound at all bad; I'm extremely happy with the one I have, am still learning to use it well, and hope to pick up another one at some point in the future. I consider my "worst case" scenario to be much better than most other timeshare deals.

Regards,

sc
--

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Not to get off the subject or whatever, I purchased a 3Br Kowie River Chalet unit two years ago for $700 total cost. It gives me 53,500 pts in the PFD program. My MF are $300. The cost associated with this transaction aren't enough for me to worry about and this amount of points gives me at least two additional weeks trades when the Weeks Nazi isn't looking. Oh that's right, I've got him on my ignore list. If the MF climb out of sight I'll just ditch it. Big deal.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about $10,000 on triple the amount of reservations that you posted below? That would be 9 reservations for one ownership in 2006. If you agree then please pay up now :eek: as per my earlier post we have already done that.

In regards two the other two CMV UDI posters on the Tug Last Minute Board I sold Elizabeth her UDI Timbers several years ago and with Bill we did a private trade a while back of each others vacation weeks. I consider both them both as friends.

Those 2 nice CMV UDI owners may each use about up to 15 reservations per year. There were maybe about 80 UDI units or more at one time at CMV x 52 weeks = 4160 weeks. If people belive some of the CMV UDI rumors of Bluegreen Points sales people so much the better for us UDI owners.

I personally know were there were about 25 or more UDI ownerships owned by Tuggers and consider those people as our friends and do not worry about getting less than 8 reservations per year even 10 years from now.

The hardest CMV UDI reservations IMHO are not the red or blue reservations but the May white weeks for the reasons you andI have discussed over the phone and will not go into detail on this post.

You being a nice guy tipped me off about a well known Tugger who grabbed a II Disney 2 bedroom unit in Orlando for this March because of banking a white CMV UDI Cottage week. I forgot which exact Disney in Orlando it was, please post which Disney resort it was. Thanks in advance :D for your cooperation.

To try and put this portion of this string to bed as I first posted the UDI ownership presently has far less on going cost for RCI Points than a SA would have for me.

Remember when buying you would have about 8 seperate SA closing costs to get about the same amount of reservations as we can get with only one UDI ownership and only having one closing cost for that UDI.

Bruce :D

BocaBum99 said:
Steve,

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think that in many cases it would make sense to purchase a cheap Points week to convert SA weeks to points in PFD. I purchased a cheap Points week for about $330 total costs that gives me 16,100 points a year. I was then able to convert my 1-bedroom Dik week to 27,500 points. I am getting much more mileage out of those 27,500 points in Points than in Weeks. That is mostly because it is a standard week.

On the other hand, there are some instances where it would be better to keep a SA week in Weeks. For example, if you are trying to get a 2 or 3 bedroom week in Orlando during high season, that might be out of reach in Points if you had for instance, only 27,500 points to use whereas this might be an easy exchange with a standard SA week.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
I think that in many cases it would make sense to purchase a cheap Points week to convert SA weeks to points in PFD. I purchased a cheap Points week for about $330 total costs that gives me 16,100 points a year. I was then able to convert my 1-bedroom Dik week to 27,500 points. I am getting much more mileage out of those 27,500 points in Points than in Weeks. That is mostly because it is a standard week.

On the other hand, there are some instances where it would be better to keep a SA week in Weeks. For example, if you are trying to get a 2 or 3 bedroom week in Orlando during high season, that might be out of reach in Points if you had for instance, only 27,500 points to use whereas this might be an easy exchange with a standard SA week.

This is true today, but given that your MFs are rising by 10-15% per year, you can predict the year in which it won't make any sense to keep your SA week right?

If that time is less than 3-5 years away, then you should sell it now, right? That is before everyone else figures out that those weeks are worthless.

huestous

Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
If that time is less than 3-5 years away, then you should sell it now, right? That is before everyone else figures out that those weeks are worthless.
2-3 years ago the majority of posts on the SA board was which resort to purchase, and who to purchase from.

Posts over the past ~6 months have been focused on how to sell.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
huestous said:
2-3 years ago the majority of posts on the SA board was which resort to purchase, and who to purchase from.

Posts over the past ~6 months have been focused on how to sell.

On the other hand, this is how opportunities are created. I like being the contrarian. I like to buy when everyone else is selling and sell when everyone else is buying. Since the strong bias today is to sell everything South African, I would be a buyer if the South African Rand collapsed in value to where it was post 9/11. Then, I would hedge 5 years worth of MFs to lock in that low MF. If that happened, I would be buying every South African week I could find that met my criteria of all payback in 18 months or less and then create a rental site in Europe to rent out the weeks to tourists. When the Rand came back in strength, I would sell all of those weeks to the tourists who rented from me.

ehollin

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Points value for Strand Pavillion and Kruger Park

Anyone know the points value of Strand Pavilion and Kruger Park Lodge 2 br red. Am thinking of buying at USA points resort for flexibility of depositing my SA points. Also, how long can you carry forward unused RCI points.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
This is true today, but given that your MFs are rising by 10-15% per year, you can predict the year in which it won't make any sense to keep your SA week right?

You are right that there could come a time when it would not make sense to continue to own a SA week in Points or Weeks for that matter. Right now however, it still makes sense to me. The MF's are cheap enough to justify the costs. The ability to obtain 27,500 points in exchange for MF's of approximately $230 or so seems pretty good to me.

In answer to your question, no, I would not sell if the point at which it no longer made sense to own at Dik was 3-5 years. If I had to give away my week in 3-5 years, the fact is, I have more than gotten my money's worth out of this week.

Last edited:

ira g

TUG Member
Reaction score
SA still a good deal

I agree with Dani. We have owned SA for over 3 years and our trades have been good IMHO. With MF averaging $230-260 and exchange of $149, we are around $400 per week for usually a 2 bedroom gold crown, not counting our low purchase price. We just booked So. Cal and Hawaii for 2007 with our SA. I would still own SA and in fact I would buy more even today.

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There is a sticky at the top of the Points section which has a link to all of the values throughout the world. You can find it here:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11139
ehollin said:
Anyone know the points value of Strand Pavilion and Kruger Park Lodge 2 br red. Am thinking of buying at USA points resort for flexibility of depositing my SA points. Also, how long can you carry forward unused RCI points.