• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Convert week to RCI points

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My southern california resort is now re-selling weeks as points, but they will not allow you to convert your week to points. They said the only way to get into points is to buy a new week from a developer. Is this the only way to convert to points or just an agressive marketing strategy? You'd think RCI could handle the conversion if the resort is already in the point system.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhound,

Since the resort decides whether or not to market RCI Points, I can't imagine why they would not be able to reserve it for new sales if they wanted. However, if you'll tell me specifically which resort you own, I'll do some checking to see what I can find out.

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is Carlsbad Seapointe. I thought I read in the fine print that RCI points owners could not covert fixed weeks to points for resorts in the point system. Is this the case for a mixed weeks/point resort? If this is the case and the trend towards points continues, what is to happen to these existing fixed weeks if the resorts will not convert them and they can not be converted by RCI?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhound said:
If this is the case and the trend towards points continues, what is to happen to these existing fixed weeks if the resorts will not convert them and they can not be converted by RCI?

Sounds to me like you continue to use them as Weeks. If you exchange you would exchange them using your Weeks Account. Am I missing something here?

GEORGE

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not currently a problem depositing and using weeks. Who knows in 5 years? I'd like to understand the points for deposit. Many people are looking for a low cost unit to get into points, and then depositing their fixed weeks for points. If an existing resort converts their resales department to points, do all the existing week owners lose their ability to do points for deposit since it is now, at least partially, a points resort? I don't want to waste any effort getting into points if this is the case.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhound said:
If an existing resort converts their resales department to points, do all the existing week owners lose their ability to do points for deposit since it is now, at least partially, a points resort?

The answer is yes. If only one week in a resort has been converted to Points, the resort is considered a Points Resort with the non-converted Weeks not being eligible for PFD.

IMO there are 3 risks with PFD. First, RCI can discontinue it at any time (not likely IMO); second, RCI could start charging for it (more likely); and three, your conversion senario.

IMO these risks are not as bad as they may look if (1) the Weeks you own and use for PFD are in small resorts and/or at resorts in places you like to go; and (2) if the Weeks you own have decent trading power within RCI Weeks.

GEORGE

travelhound

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining this. Fortunately, I purchased Seapointe to use it. Can't go wrong with that location.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhound,

In most cases if a resort offers conversion to RCI Points, you will not be able to submit those weeks for Points-for-Deposit. However, there have been a couple of exceptions to this, depending on the individual case and whether or not the resort is continuing to offer the option.

If you decide simply to continue using your fixed Weeks deposits in the Weeks system, I would expect that you'd have that option long, long into the future. RCI has no plans to discontinue or in any way diminish the RCI Weeks program.

I'll verify our understanding of Carlsbad Seapointe's policy regarding Points conversion and follow up here.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
travelhound,

Just following up on this subject. Seapointe is now sold out, so the only way to acquire RCI Points is to purchase a resale from the resellers onsite.

na2006

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weeks for RCI points

What resorts/ts (Wyndham,Hilton, etc.) you can get RCI Points for Depositing weeks?

Is there a thread, link, list ?

Thanks,
NA

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
NA2006,

Are you already a member of RCI Points, or are you looking to purchase at a Points-affiliated resort?

BillR

TUG Member
Reaction score
My southern california resort is now re-selling weeks as points, but they will not allow you to convert your week to points. MOST RESORTS HAVE AN ADDITIONAL FEE TO CONVERT - MOST AT 2995.00 OR HIGHER. THE ACTUAL RCI FEE IS 199.00 - SUGGEST YOU FIND AN ALTERNATE DEVELOPER AND THEN DEPOSIT YOUR WEEK INTO POINTS. They said the only way to get into points is to buy a new week from a developer. TRUE - BUT YOU DO HAVE OPTIONS - LOOK INTO TUG CLASSIFIEDS.

SEE ANSWER ABOVE