• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering HGVC Resales

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I would agree with those that say 7000. You can always use them, especially if you want to bring friends and family. You can always book an upgraded room to use your points. I thought 7000 points was enough, but, after 2 years of ownership, we decided to purchase another 7000 point platinum deed (total of 14,0000). We have already used all of our 2022 points and have borrowed some of our 2023 points for our family get together trip in HHI next June!

potsticker1

Reaction score
Really great to hear all the positive feedback. It seems like a nice fit for what my family is looking to do. I didn't realize you could borrow - that makes a lot of sense. It would be nice if we travel with another party to just book into a 2bd or 3bd rather than having to find a hotel nearby or something.

We'd love to check out Myrtle Beach, Orlando (when the kid gets older), Honolulu, and Big Island. We're not big snow people, but Breckenridge and Park City look great too. And the international options look really appealing too. I can certainly see us taking advantage of an HGVC timeshare and it seems it can make financial sense too if I can find a good deal.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
For points purchases, make sure to shop for Las Vegas properties. Boulevard, Paradise, Flamingo and Elara have a very good MF-per-point ratios (hint: don't include yearly club fee in calculating MFpp), when you pick the right unit and season. Just so you know the real market value - you should expect to pay around $4,000-$5,000 + closing ($1,500) for Flamingo 7k pts Platinum. Or $1,500 for Boulevard or Paradise 5,000 pts Gold. Don't fall for MLS-posted offers by realtors that are like double or triple these amounts. Don't believe their agents it's the market price. It's not. You can look up actual resale values on rofr.net. Ebay and SellingTimeshares.net are good places to look for fair prices. Also Facebook is good if you're good at explaining and convincing people that their $15,000 asking price that is half of what they paid to the developer isn't the market value and that real value is $x.

Also, be aware of the closing costs. If the seller says they cover closing, make sure to inquire what exactly they're paying. The last payment to HGVC called "activation fee" or "enrollment fee" of $617 usually isn't paid by the seller because it's technically not part of the closing, but from your perspective it's still part of the acquisition cost that has to be paid. If you're to cover all costs of closing, it's around $1500.

Happy shopping!

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Great question! Honestly, I was thinking a location with the cheapest MF. So I guess that'd be Las Vegas or Orlando. I read the only advantage for having a home resort is being able to book 12 months out - and to be honest, we generally plan 6-9 months out. Not 12.
This is fine logic, however note that platinum season at places like Lagoon Tower HHV will often be hard to book even at nine months out, much less six. Lagoon is very popular, and preference is given to home week owners booking exactly their full home week between 9-12 months out. That's exactly why we own at LT: we wanted to be 100% sure of getting into HHV even during peak season.

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany Village, HGV Parc Soleil, HGV Elara
Welcome to TUG. We have some great HGVC TUG members who are all willing to help. So always feel free to ask your questions. We may not have all the same opinion because of different perspectives, but that of course is the wonderful thing about humans and also HGVC system. After all, if we all like the same thing then we would all book the same which certainly won't be good.

I agree with previous comment, you really need to book HHV at 9 month mark, especially Lagoon Tower(LT). LT books quickly because it has one of the lower room point requirements (eq, 2Br - 7000 and 1Br - 4800 pts with views requiring more pts.)

No

I would answer no. The club does allow you to book open season (<30 days) using cash but this is only left-over availability and pricing isn't very good for this option.

I would say NO. I would recommend looking at around 7000 (others TUG members, please give your opinions here) because I think this is a very good starting number of pts. I assume that you will have a growing family thereby needing more room in the future.
I agree, 7,000 points would be a minimum I would be looking for. I have 7,000 Platinum points every year, and (2) 4,800 Platinum points every other year, one Odd and one Even.

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany Village, HGV Parc Soleil, HGV Elara
For points purchases, make sure to shop for Las Vegas properties. Boulevard, Paradise, Flamingo and Elara have a very good MF-per-point ratios (hint: don't include yearly club fee in calculating MFpp), when you pick the right unit and season. Just so you know the real market value - you should expect to pay around $4,000-$5,000 + closing ($1,500) for Flamingo 7k pts Platinum. Or $1,500 for Boulevard or Paradise 5,000 pts Gold. Don't fall for MLS-posted offers by realtors that are like double or triple these amounts. Don't believe their agents it's the market price. It's not. You can look up actual resale values on rofr.net. Ebay and SellingTimeshares.net are good places to look for fair prices. Also Facebook is good if you're good at explaining and convincing people that their $15,000 asking price that is half of what they paid to the developer isn't the market value and that real value is $x.

Also, be aware of the closing costs. If the seller says they cover closing, make sure to inquire what exactly they're paying. The last payment to HGVC called "activation fee" or "enrollment fee" of $617 usually isn't paid by the seller because it's technically not part of the closing, but from your perspective it's still part of the acquisition cost that has to be paid. If you're to cover all costs of closing, it's around $1500.

Happy shopping!
Word to the wise...Be sure that if it's an Elara deed, That it is truely a HGVC deed. Some are still Westgate, but advertised HGVC has ROFR. Look at the Estoppel before buying anything there. I own an Elara HGVC deed.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Word to the wise...Be sure that if it's an Elara deed, That it is truely a HGVC deed. Some are still Westgate, but advertised HGVC has ROFR. Look at the Estoppel before buying anything there. I own an Elara HGVC deed.
How to recognize HGVC from Westgate Elara on the estoppel form:

- HGVC says "2022: 5000 points" (number)
- Westgate says: "2022: AVAILABLE"