• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering Buying. Best way to join / things to look out for?

Valkyriel

Reaction score
I just got the whole $50k buy in $2k HOA for 200k points a year at platinum level pitch.

There pitch implied that you can generally get a week vacation for around 35k-75k points if you also pay $319 for the stay as well. Is that realistic? Looking at the threads it seems like 200k+ is what it might take for a week?

My other question is, how could I get that above deal with resale instead of buying new?

Valkyriel

Reaction score
Would something like this South Beach post be along the right things to look for?

Gold season week 11 exchanges for 195,000 HICV points! Buyer may receive a title fee credit, inquire for details!

*RCI Gold Crown Resort* Featuring a finely appointed 3 bedroom, 3 bath lockout suite that will accommodate 8 guests comfortably. Usage is annual in gold season week 11. Maintenance fees are paid every year. For more information or to make an offer, please submit the inquiry form.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
You are correct in your assessment. The 35k-75k they tried to sell you on is using your points threw RCI and not straight through HICV. The 150k - 200k range is more accurate. The south beach posting you are looking at would get you the 195k points. You wouldn't get status level by buying 3rd party but still use of the points.

gerberdaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Holiday Hills
Watch where they deed you - we got deeded Branson MO. There are two issues with deeding:
  • only some of the resorts will maintain points after resale - I am just retyping what I've read, so do some more research, but my understanding is if you go to transfer to anyone but children, the points revert to a deeded week except for the few resorts where they don't. Since I am not in those resorts, I don't know more. I know that when the sales people were explaining points, they absolutely did NOT reveal this to us.
    • they will tell you that you can't request the location - but you can. just refuse to close until they let you.
  • you only get "day passes" for the resort you are deeded. We live in Florida and were told that we could use day passes at any HICV resort (and we are within driving distance of three!) but I have since been told (by a different sales person) that in fact, it is only your deeded location - so the only place we could get day passes for free is Branson. We haven't tried as it's not worth that much of a drive to be turned away - seems that there are different reports about how successful day passes at non-deeded resorts is.
Do your best to control the amount of time it takes - we were so exhausted after 6 hours of presentation that we didn't fully read or understand the documents we signed. You also have a few days to change your mind - they will sell it hard that you don't have that option, but you do.

We are okay with our purchase, I just wish I had known a little bit more going into it. The sales pressure is HIGH.

Good luck!

Valkyriel

Reaction score
Yeah. I ended up saying no, and then they offered to hold the price for 2 years if I signed up for a 1 week vacation for $1400 (with 400 food/etc. voucher). Which all in all sounds nice as well.

If I buy a deed that does do points, do I only get points the following January?

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Yeah. I ended up saying no, and then they offered to hold the price for 2 years if I signed up for a 1 week vacation for $1400 (with 400 food/etc. voucher). Which all in all sounds nice as well.

If I buy a deed that does do points, do I only get points the following January?
Depends on if the previous owner already used the current year points. I purchased 300k points last fall and the owner had not used them yet so I got 300k points on purchase and another 300k Jan 1st.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just got the whole $50k buy in $2k HOA for 200k points a year at platinum level pitch.

There pitch implied that you can generally get a week vacation for around 35k-75k points if you also pay $319 for the stay as well. Is that realistic? Looking at the threads it seems like 200k+ is what it might take for a week?

My other question is, how could I get that above deal with resale instead of buying new?
glad you dodged that 50,000 dollar bullet!