• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering a HGVC Purchase

CoconutsAndBeaches

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am well informed of how the Hilton Grand Vacation timeshare program works and have stayed at a timeshare property before. However, I am unsure how to proceed with purchasing my first timeshare as I have seen prices change since last year and have already posted a Wish and browsed the existing listings on the Marketplace.

I am looking for an annual deeded ownership of minimum 7000 HGVC Points with an annual maintenance of <= $1300. Does everyone generally hire an agent/broker to pursue a purchase? Thank you in advance for any guidance!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
welcome to TUG! glad you are looking to buy resale for your first purchase!

ill move this down to the HGVC forum for you so you can get some answers from existing Hilton owners.

djrsin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld, Bay Club at Waikoloa, Hilton Hawaiian Village.
Hello,

I am well informed of how the Hilton Grand Vacation timeshare program works and have stayed at a timeshare property before. However, I am unsure how to proceed with purchasing my first timeshare as I have seen prices change since last year and have already posted a Wish and browsed the existing listings on the Marketplace.

I am looking for an annual deeded ownership of minimum 7000 HGVC Points with an annual maintenance of <= $1300. Does everyone generally hire an agent/broker to pursue a purchase? Thank you in advance for any guidance!

I found my recent purchase (HGVC Sea World) through redweek. I bought from Thomas Ochoa from The Timeshare group and had a great experience with them. Prior to agreeing to the purchase I research the broker name on this forum. I suggest finding a broker that is offering what you want and verify the brokers credibility by searching on here or asking the fellow Tuggers if they have any experience with the chosen broker. If you have a choice with the closing company I would go with LT transfer since they are very good and low cost.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The seller normally hires an agent to sell the timeshare and most of the time you will be calling a broker or real estate agent. The seller pays most of the closing cost to that agent, but you will also have plenty of closing cost with Hilton and other fees. If you know of a private owner selling a timeshare, hire a closing company to complete the transaction. Don't send money to a private owner. Lots of people here on TUG can provide more detailed information.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The two most well-known & respected HGVC brokers in this forum:
... Seth Nock - www.sellingtimeshares.net
... Judi Kozlowski - www.judikoz.com/

Check their listings.
You can also find HGVC TS on eBay, but for a 1st-timer, I wouldn't recommend it.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does everyone generally hire an agent/broker to pursue a purchase? Thank you in advance for any guidance!
No, but if you don't, you have to be comfortable potential chaos and long waits in the process. If you have any questions at all or need constant reassurance that your purchase is going through, you'll be happier buying from a broker.
If you are comfortable sending money and maybe not hearing back from the seller for a couple months, but saving some money and you don't have any questions about the purchase, you can buy from Ebay or a directly from an owner.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
In addition to Judy and Seth, Syed Sarmad is well respected here on TUG and carries HGVC inventory. I purchased from him last Dec after looking all year for just the right one at a price I was willing to pay.

eBay seems to get the low point contracts that people dump and the sellers are flakey, I would not recommend buying there.

TUG has some listings also in the for sale section, that is where I found Syed's ad.

http://advantagevacation.com/

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
I got both of my units off of eBay, but only after thoroughly researching the sellers on these boards, to make certain that they weren't scams.

As for membership fees, if you want at least 7K points, you should aim to find a purchase price that's close (or maybe just under) $1/pt. Don't buy any gold weeks. At your budget for membership fees, you'd want one of the following (ordered from lowest MF to highest):

Vegas Strip 2 BR
Vegas Paradise 2 BR
Flamingo 2 BR
Vegas Strip 3 BR
Sea World Phase II 2 BR
Sea World Phase I 2BR
Sea World Phase I 3BR
Tuscany 2 BR
Parc Soleil 2 BR

You could also conceivably purchase two contracts on Platinum 1 BR units at Vegas Strip and/or Paradise, and your combined maintenance/membership fee might come in at under $1200, but you'll have additional transaction fees if you do it that way. But the purchase price on two $4800 point contracts would get you 9600 points, and they would probably pass ROFR at a purchase price lower than $1/point (judging from my recent experience).

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, but if you don't, you have to be comfortable potential chaos and long waits in the process. If you have any questions at all or need constant reassurance that your purchase is going through, you'll be happier buying from a broker.
If you are comfortable sending money and maybe not hearing back from the seller for a couple months, but saving some money and you don't have any questions about the purchase, you can buy from Ebay or a directly from an owner.

Agree. Do not send money to a stranger or someone you don't know. If you find something on eBay, use a title company to close it. The cost are small and worth the protection to open an Escrow account. Call Judy and Seth and ask them which companies they use for closing. If they don't have a timeshare for sale that you like, look at eBay and use the title company that they use for closing. You might save a few dollars on EBay, but if you are not familiar with closing real estate transactions, you are better off using a known reliable agent like Judy or Seth. Don't be in a hurry to buy. Take your time and keep checking for deals.

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany Village, HGV Parc Soleil, HGV Elara
Hello,

Well, I just recently purchased a timeshare thru e-bay, SEANS0302 was the seller. I too was a 1st timer, wanted 7,000 points Platinum, and wanted Tuscany in Orlando. Bought on 5-20-16, closed on 9-1-16 paid 4077.00, which is 58 cents a point. Closing took about 3 months from start to finish. Seller paid everything at closing. I will pay the $535 activation fee from Hilton when it comes. I'm extremely happy! Would highly recommend Sean !

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I just recently purchased a timeshare thru e-bay, SEANS0302 was the seller. I too was a 1st timer, wanted 7,000 points Platinum, and wanted Tuscany in Orlando. Bought on 5-20-16, closed on 9-1-16 paid 4077.00, which is 58 cents a point. Closing took about 3 months from start to finish. Seller paid everything at closing. I will pay the $535 activation fee from Hilton when it comes. I'm extremely happy! Would highly recommend Sean !

Congrats. That's a great deal. What is your annual maintenance fee on that?

mscheribel59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Tuscany Village, HGV Parc Soleil, HGV Elara
Maintenance fees for 2016 Tuscany 2 bed 2 bath Platinum are 944.95 and real estate taxes are 256.09 for a total of 1201.04. Club dues are of course $ 150.00 a year no matter how many point you have.
I won't pay those until 2017 when I start with my 2017 points.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

That IS a good deal. I think I ended up having to pay like $1,000 more in "closing costs" plus the $535 activation fee, on top of what I bought the resale for. Wow, if you can get the seller to pay the closing costs, etc. that was pretty sweet, IMO.