• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confirmed, [SVR] Resale owners can join SVN soon

damianinpa

Reaction score
All,
I went to mystarcentral and did a chat about the SVN. I explained that I heard we will be invited in with the renovations being done. She confirmed we will be invited to join..check out the chat:

Damian: I bought my timeshare via Resale Ebay. I have heard with the renovations that resale owners may be invited into the SVN program. Looking for any word on this.

Sarah: Currently the original phases of the Sheraton Vistana Resort like the Palms and Spas are not eligible to join the Starwood Vacation Network. Once the refurbishment project is completed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort, Owner Services plans on offering all original phase owners to join the Starwood Vacation Network.

Damian: When is the completion date?

Sarah: If an owner has purchased their week on the resale market, they must have purchased the week no later than March 31, 2008 to be eligible. As you purchased you week on the resale market in October of 2007, you will be eligible for this offer.

Sarah: Currently the Sheraton Vistana Resort is scheduled to complete its refurbishment project during the 2010 use year. We expect that the offer will be made near the end of the 2009 use year.

Sarah: All eligible owners will receive an email inviting them to join the Starwood Vacation Network when the offer is made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is what I see in my starcentral account?
Question - I just bought SDO resale and am not part of SVN or thought I wasn't...but I see the following in my account 81,000 SO...does it show this because that is what it is worth should if I was a member or should there be zero's there? And what is three season?

Week Unit Phase Villa Type Max. Occupancy
14 1082 Sheraton Desert Oasis - Three Season 1 Bedroom Premium Villa 4

Home Season Ownership Type Exchange Co. Reservation System
Platinum Annual Float SVN

Weekly StarOptions Value Weekly Starpoints Value
81,000 36,000

Secondly...I did just buy Nov 08 so I guess I'm not elegible....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Question - I just bought SDO resale and am not part of SVN or thought I wasn't...but I see the following in my account 81,000 SO...does it show this because that is what it is worth should if I was a member or should there be zero's there?

It is a mistake - just for fun, call them up and try to do a Staroptions exchange.

And what is three season?
Good question - I'm not sure.

The post above ONLY applies to Sheraton Vistana Resort - not the other voluntary resorts.

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is new to me- Can I try to do a staroptions exchange to Harborside...

what exactly should I say to try to pull it off for kicks and giggles...lol..

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sarah: If an owner has purchased their week on the resale market, they must have purchased the week no later than March 31, 2008 to be eligible.

Previously, SVN has stated that you needed to purchase by Dec 31, 2007, and have it registered by end of March. Either Sarah didn't know this, or else the "policy" has changed again.

Frankly, I won't believe any of this until they actually start inviting members to join SVN. I fully intend to try to get my units in SVN and I'm positive there will be significant discussion on this forum at that time about our success or failure at that endeavor, as I know I'm not alone with this goal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
or better yet - can I do a staroptions exchange on-line vs calling? And if so - how?

Are you talking about with your "mistake" Staroptions? Sure, why not! :D Just call up Owner Services - (888) 986-9637 and say you want to make a Staroption exchange and see what happens, but Harborside might not be available anyway, because it's one of the hardest exchanges. If they say Harborside is booked, just ask them what is available.

If you use the reservation function at mystarcentral.com, you are just sending an email that someone has to read and respond to. It's not a real-time, instant reservation.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Question - I just bought SDO resale and am not part of SVN or thought I wasn't...but I see the following in my account 81,000 SO...does it show this because that is what it is worth should if I was a member or should there be zero's there? And what is three season?

Week Unit Phase Villa Type Max. Occupancy
14 1082 Sheraton Desert Oasis - Three Season 1 Bedroom Premium Villa 4

Home Season Ownership Type Exchange Co. Reservation System
Platinum Annual Float SVN

Weekly StarOptions Value Weekly Starpoints Value
81,000 36,000

"Three Season" probably means you have either Silver, Gold or Platinum as sold by Starwood. Since you have a 1 bedroom, I would guess that you have one of the true Platinum 1 bedrooms because your week is 14? But that is off the top of my head, so you'd have to look it up in another thread or ask a True Plat expert (there are a few all over these forums). A good one to have! Worth more than a regular One Season 1 bedroom!

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
right...i own platnum. so i bet 3 season = platnum (all 3 seasons gold,silver, plat)....who knows...
tomorrow will be fun when i try to make an exchange with my imaginary staroptions.....

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a resale Vistana Cascades 2 bedroom lockoff. We have owned this for 4 years now. We've thought about upgrading this. Would you suggest hanging on to see what happens? I know we are going to be paying for the assesments. Would our unit be invited to join SVN once the renovation is complete? We are already 3* Elite and would like to get to 4*.

Gordo1111

TUG Member
Reaction score
RE: on my starwood account staroptions showed up...

o.k. so I called SVO to make a staroptions exchange with my Staroptions that don't really exist - they made a mistake on my online account -
I asked to make a staroptions exchange to harborside.
He put me on hold - for a long time......and told me I wasnt' part of the network etc....I said o.k. and hung up...Now I will see if the points disappear or will try again...

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I think if you bought in October 2007 and had the unit put in your name by Dec 2007, you will be able to join SVN without a problem! I don't know about the March deadline though. It has not been established for the other SVR resorts yet (Falls, Springs...). I think the current invite is only for Fountains owners.

Katherine

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused. We just bought a resale in the Fountains section. Having purchased after the March 2008 deadline, I assumed I would not be eligible for SVN but now I am wondering about the the possibility of being invited to join when the renovations are complete in all the sections or does that just apply to the sections that are currently undergoing or about to have renovations done.

damianinpa

Reaction score
Good question. The older sections resale or orginal owners are not in SVN, but, Lakes/Cascases are. Fountains members got invited in. So, I guess it depends on the person you bought it from. If he was a member, it should transfer. I'd call the resort and ask them.
Personally, I am totally against the upgrades and the $1600+ they are charging each owner, but, if I'm forced to pay, what I hope will be free membership into SVN would be something nice.
Damian

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually even if the previous owner was a member of SVN, it does NOT transfer on voluntary properties like SVR. Fountains owners who purchased before December 31, 2007 (and recorded by March 2008) were eligible to join SVN this year. If you bought after the deadline, I can pretty much guarantee that there is no way they would let you join. They have been extremely tight with the deadlines and they are not making any exceptions.

SVN membership does not transfer from one owner to the next except at very select resorts (like WKORV, WKV, HRA...). Take a look at the owner's resources sticky for the full list. :)

Katherine

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a resale Springs about 2 months ago and the deed is in our name. Any ideas if this might be invited in after the renovations are completed?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If he was a member, it should transfer. If he was a member, it should transfer.

The Staroptions from a unit at a Voluntary resort ONLY transfer if it is inherited by the child (or possibly some other direct descendant) of the owner. Staroptions from a Voluntary Resort NEVER transfer on a resale.

There are 5 Mandatory resorts in the Starwood system where Staroptions DO transfer with a resale. It is commonly believed that Starwood will not build any more mandatory resorts:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

For lots more info. see the FAQ at the top of the page.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We bought a resale Springs about 2 months ago and the deed is in our name. Any ideas if this might be invited in after the renovations are completed?

As SDKath stated, based on past practice, probably not. But Starwood LIKES to change the rules! :rolleyes:

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I get it now. Sounds like each time a phase is assessed for the upgrades the option to join the SVN is given to the current owners who are assessed for the upgrade. If the owner chooses to sell later on after having paid for the upgrade the resale buyer does not also get the same option to join SVN . Am I right?

dakotafamily

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has probably been answered somewhere, but does anyone know if StarPoints are also included when SVN invites you in on a resale that qualifies or would you only get the StarOptions?

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has probably been answered somewhere, but does anyone know if StarPoints are also included when SVN invites you in on a resale that qualifies or would you only get the StarOptions?

if you are part of the SVN then you will be able to convert to starpoints also.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
be careful here - i do not know this situation, but we are in SVN for many of our resorts (Mandatory), but cannot convert these to SPs - only for SVN exchanges

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
be careful here - i do not know this situation, but we are in SVN for many of our resorts (Mandatory), but cannot convert these to SPs - only for SVN exchanges

David,

For those who owned at Fountains and join SVN, it will have the same privileges as those who bought directly from the developer. Fountains is not a mandatory resort but for those who owned there in 2007 or before, they will have both SO and SP access. When these owners go on to sell their unit, the new owners will get neither, just like any other voluntary resort.

Katherine

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I heard that about Fountains, but for here I was advising to make sure and do not assume anything (including what is here on TUG sometimes)