• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Concerned with Hospital Prepareness

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Our PCPs in CA are doing video appointments, no problem receiving preventive care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

geekette

Reaction score
....All we've done with this extreme panic driven lock down is make it HARDER to treat any surge

No, we prevented a larger surge resulting in more death than we have already experienced. I would not use the term "panic driven". It was last resort to stop the spread and complete overrun. We were out of options. Watching Italy, we saw this coming.

Yes, there have been side effects. Serious side effects. The next surge will indeed be more problematic, and, deadly. We definitely agree on that. I am maintaining low profile to not be part of any surge.

eta.... some of the hospital layoffs have to do with lack of federal funds coming into the states. States have to balance their budgets and are not receiving same level of pre-pandemic revenue. Cuts must be made. Of course hospitals suffered their own significant revenue reductions. It's the same issue - without revenue, bills cannot be paid, cuts must be made. I am very curious as to insurer reimbursements to hospitals, if, indeed, insurers are making CV treatment free to consumers. We know it can't be free. We just don't yet know how much hospitals will be getting from insurers, or patients that are not members of the benevolent ins cos. (I had to use the word benevolent, I am very happy that many insurers are saving their policy holders from financial ruin).

Last edited:

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our PCPs in CA are doing video appointments, no problem receiving preventive care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I need pulmonary function tests and allergy tests. Kinda hard to on myself :)

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
eta.... some of the hospital layoffs have to do with lack of federal funds coming into the states. States have to balance their budgets and are not receiving same level of pre-pandemic revenue. Cuts must be made. Of course hospitals suffered their own significant revenue reductions. It's the same issue - without revenue, bills cannot be paid, cuts must be made. I am very curious as to insurer reimbursements to hospitals, if, indeed, insurers are making CV treatment free to consumers. We know it can't be free. We just don't yet know how much hospitals will be getting from insurers, or patients that are not members of the benevolent ins cos. (I had to use the word benevolent, I am very happy that many insurers are saving their policy holders from financial ruin).
Rural hospitals were already closing or in financial distress, now there will be very few left standing. And yes-it was a panic driven lock down. We didn't have a functioning team to make surgical strike lock downs necessary for places that were going to be hit harder using good old fashioned common sense at least to start: high population density cities, public transports, nursing homes-ya know the same places where other diseases like flu are spread like wildfire too. The "cure" of lockdown will show to be much much worse than the disease for the majority of the country -well actually the globe. I guess 300,000 dying each month now from hunger. It is why people are fed up and no longer wanting to listen to CDC-they are seeing so much collateral damage now, food banks can't keep up, soon the homeless population is going to explode (the ceasing of eviction for non payment of rent won't last forever). Understandably if you are in a hard hit area the outlook and adjustment will be different. It made no sense to treat Montana like New York. Instead we have hospital layoffs, hospital closing. Making it more difficult now to get basic care, or necessary surgeries, which will compound problems down the road...
States have lost huge amounts of revenue-cuts to healthcare, schools etc does NOT bode well for future generations either. The hole dug here is going to take decades to dig out of. But the experts warning of collateral damage at beginning were...not listened to or outright dismissed or called names...
"If global GDP declines by 5% because of the pandemic, another 147 million people could be plunged into extreme poverty, according to estimates by the Washington-based International Food Policy Research Institute. There's "a real danger that more people could potentially die from the economic impact of COVID-19 than from the virus itself," Beasley said."

Of course it is easier to Monday morning quarterback, but this is why ALL sides need to be listened to, considered and formulate a policy going forward. That didn't happen unfortunately.

Brett

Reaction score
Rural hospitals were already closing or in financial distress, now there will be very few left standing. And yes-it was a panic driven lock down. We didn't have a functioning team to make surgical strike lock downs necessary for places that were going to be hit harder using good old fashioned common sense at least to start: high population density cities, public transports, nursing homes-ya know the same places where other diseases like flu are spread like wildfire too. The "cure" of lockdown will show to be much much worse than the disease for the majority of the country -well actually the globe. I guess 300,000 dying each month now from hunger. It is why people are fed up and no longer wanting to listen to CDC-they are seeing so much collateral damage now, food banks can't keep up, soon the homeless population is going to explode (the ceasing of eviction for non payment of rent won't last forever). Understandably if you are in a hard hit area the outlook and adjustment will be different. It made no sense to treat Montana like New York. Instead we have hospital layoffs, hospital closing. Making it more difficult now to get basic care, or necessary surgeries, which will compound problems down the road...
States have lost huge amounts of revenue-cuts to healthcare, schools etc does NOT bode well for future generations either. The hole dug here is going to take decades to dig out of. But the experts warning of collateral damage at beginning were...not listened to or outright dismissed or called names...
"If global GDP declines by 5% because of the pandemic, another 147 million people could be plunged into extreme poverty, according to estimates by the Washington-based International Food Policy Research Institute. There's "a real danger that more people could potentially die from the economic impact of COVID-19 than from the virus itself," Beasley said."

Of course it is easier to Monday morning quarterback, but this is why ALL sides need to be listened to, considered and formulate a policy going forward. That didn't happen unfortunately.

I don't think 300,000 people are going to die every month from "hunger" because of the coronavirus -- and I doubt the homeless population will "explode"

sure, a faster national response to the coronavirus could have helped avert economic consequences. The stock market seems to be saying the economic recovery could be shorter than what was originally forecast.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I don't think 300,000 people are going to die every month from "hunger" because of the coronavirus -- and I doubt the homeless population will "explode"

The UN's World Food Programme would disagree with you:

Kurt

Brett

Reaction score
The UN's World Food Programme would disagree with you:

Kurt

I did not take into account the hungry and homeless people in Africa :oops:

also the locust swarms
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/world/2020/05/05/locusts-africa-swarms-kenya-ethiopia/

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
But the experts warning of collateral damage at beginning were...not listened to or outright dismissed or called names...
I was curious about the 147 million statistic. Apparently it originated here, in World Net Daily

Per Wikipedia:
"WorldNetDaily (WND) is an American news and opinion website and online news aggregator which has been described as "fringe" and far right[6] as well as politically conservative.[7] The website is known for promoting falsehoods and conspiracy theories.[15]

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

I do not know how you can ignore the effect of the virus itself. While I agree that the lockdowns probably made the downturn worse there is no way if they had not done it the economy would be booming. Not a very good control , but Sweden's economy is hurting every bit as bad as the rest of Europe. We were in for a troubled economy no matter what we did. We can argue degrees but certainly cannot say the SAH orders were the only cause. I still believe (personal opinion here) that if we did nothing and had many more deaths the fear would have lasted a lot longer and the effects on the economy would have been even worse.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
You all need to slow down and get a grip on reality. The number of cases, beds required, ICU beds required, incubators required are all OVER ESTIMATED. The hospitals are WAY under utilized. What we need is to OPEN UP the hospitals and get people back to normal.
I'm wondering, Sea Six, if "open up" and "get people back to normal" is still your advice now that Florida is seeing a huge rise in infections [thanks to being open]? How are the ICU beds at your local hospital? Any concerns? Perhaps your views are changing as the virus strikes closer to home [Florida]? It was close to home for others two months ago.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm wondering, Sea Six, if "open up" and "get people back to normal" is still your advice now that Florida is seeing a huge rise in infections [thanks to being open]? How are the ICU beds at your local hospital? Any concerns? Perhaps your views are changing as the virus strikes closer to home [Florida]? It was close to home for others two months ago.
New cases in June are about triple what they were in May. Primarily due to more testing. While new cases are rising, hospitalizations and deaths are way DOWN! The popular opinion seems to be that the virus is not as strong as it once was. Most people testing positive don't even have symptoms. Our hospitals were so empty there were threats of laying off the staff. Now they are resuming elective surgeries and getting their occupancy rates back up again. My concern is people just ignoring the whole situation and not wearing any protection, even in grocery stores. 5 deaths per day (considering how they count every death as COVID, regardless what the patient had) is not serious enough to shut everything down again, and governor DeSantis has said the same. When I was in the hospital mid-April, the hospital had a wing quarantined off for COVID, and only had 6 rooms occupied. I was on a floor with no COVID patients, and practically had private duty service. The hospitals have plenty of room, even now, as the Doctors aren't even seeing patients in their offices. My appointments are video conferences. How can a cardiologist evaluate a patient over a video conference? I won't freak out until I see what happens after Universal, Disney, and Sea World all re-open.

Covid FL 6-17.JPG

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
5 deaths per day (considering how they count every death as COVID, regardless what the patient had) is not serious enough to shut everything down again, and governor DeSantis has said the same.

Wow I need to move to FL.

5 deaths per day is 1825 a year
With a population of 21.5 million it will take 11781 years for them to die.

Brett

Reaction score

in Florida it's about the old and dying ... :(

Coronavirus Cases Spike Across Sun Belt as Economy Lurches into Motion
Arizona, Texas and Florida are reporting their highest case numbers

Florida sets records for new COVID-19 cases

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ported-increase-with-2610-new-covid-19-cases/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-arizona-texas-set-records-new-covid-19-cases-n1231326
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/us/coronavirus-united-states.html

Country Roads

Reaction score

Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed. :wave:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando

That's about the rate that people die choking on chicken bones.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score