• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

computer ?

w.bob

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just started having a slight problem while on the internet. Every now & then my computer will freeze up for about 5 seconds. If I am listening to music over the web it will sound like a record stuck in one spot over & over, or the mouse will freeze and if I'm typing something it will stop. I do not know if I downloaded something recently to cause the problem. It occurs about every 5 to 10 minutes and only last for about 5 seconds and then everything is ok until the next time. any suggestions? Thanks

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
No computer expert but do you run Spybot Search & Destroy and LavaSofts Ad-Aware now and then incase your problems is spyware that gets picked up without you knowing? When things on my computer slow down and act up these are the first things I try after the virus check.

w.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tia said:
No computer expert but do you run Spybot Search & Destroy and LavaSofts Ad-Aware now and then incase your problems is spyware that gets picked up without you knowing? When things on my computer slow down and act up these are the first things I try after the virus check.

Tia I did run both of them with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have problems similar to that if I haven't defragmented my hard drive in a while.

swasuth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arlene,
I only defragmented once about 3 years ago & now I forget ho0w I did it. I have Microsoft internet explorer. Hope you can help or can someone jump in here. Thanks. I know I will get an answer. I always do. My friend thinks that the word TUGGER is some sort of cult because of the way I tout it. ;) :D :)

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
To defrag on mine I click start->programs -> accessories->system tools-> defrag. It's going to take awhile.

Sometimes mine will come up with a box saying it's had to restart so many times ....blah blah so I close a few programs and proceed.

swasuth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Mine took about 10-15 minutes. When I do mine at work tomorrow,it should be a big help on speed. I remember that was the reason I did it the last time. :) Thanks again

happybaby

TUG Member
Reaction score
defrag

Tia said:
To defrag on mine I click start->programs -> accessories->system tools-> defrag. It's going to take awhile.

Sometimes mine will come up with a box saying it's had to restart so many times ....blah blah so I close a few programs and proceed.

I'm no expert here, but I was told to defrag you should not have any other programs running. Also, you should defrag or even do scan disc in "safe mode". To do this, when my computer is booting up, I keep hitting F8 until I get to the screen that asks if I want to run in safe mode.

And not doing mine on a regular basis takes forever !!!
Somebody with more knowledge then me can correct me if wrong, or explain better.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have to be in safe mode, and you don't have to close any running programs.

However, if you have programs accessing the disk while you are trying to defrag, that will keep interrupting the defrag process, and it will keep starting over. So, the best bet is to stop all running applications. If you're still having problems with constant restarts, you probably are running some services or other programs that start automatically when you boot your system or login to your system. In that case, running it in safe mode should take care of the restarts.

There are 3rd party disk defragmenter programs that don't suffer from the problems of constant restarts, and don't require as much free disk space as the one that comes with Windows XP. It's your call if you think it's worth buying one of them or not. I like diskeeper, however, I'm really annoyed by their constant emails asking me to upgrade. On the other hand, it has some sort of smart IO feature, which basically pauses the defrag process when anything else is accessing the disk, then it resumes from where it left off, so if you enable this feature there are no restarts and it can run while you are using the computer for anything else.

-David

Last edited:

w.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
w.bob said:
I just started having a slight problem while on the internet. Every now & then my computer will freeze up for about 5 seconds. If I am listening to music over the web it will sound like a record stuck in one spot over & over, or the mouse will freeze and if I'm typing something it will stop. I do not know if I downloaded something recently to cause the problem. It occurs about every 5 to 10 minutes and only last for about 5 seconds and then everything is ok until the next time. any suggestions? Thanks

I tried defrag but that did not help either. Any other suggestions?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't think the defrag would solve the problem.

Can I assume that your system is up to date with respect to windows update, and that you've applied all critical updates and that your drivers are all up to date? If not, then go spend some time doing that. After you're up to date with windows update, go look at the system vendors website for updated drivers, and if you find any there that apply to your system, update them.

Let's see if you can get somewhere by doing that.

-David

Last edited:

fnewman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Platinum member: Diamond US Collection, Cypress Point I, Powhatan Plantation, San Luis Obispo.
If running a 'multi-protection' package, such as McAfee Viruscan/firewall/spamblocker, etc. you might try disabling those applications one at time to see if the situation improves. You can also see what is taking up system time by doing cntrl/alt/del to bring up Task Manager. Look first at 'applications' to see what is running, then click the 'processes' tab. Double click on CPU to see a list in order of the amount of CPU time it is taking. Then once you see something that seems to be the culprit, Google that name to see if it is a virus and to learn how to remove. Some are pretty sneaky and hard to deal with.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
You beat me to that suggestion, Frank. Late last June or early July, I apparrently got an auto update from McAfee that started Virusscan's Insta Shield to start working double overtime. It slowed me down to a near stop. I couldn,t even double click an icon. I had to disable the Insta Shield to get back up to speed. I'm currently looking for a different virus program.