• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Computer monitor help needed please

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Dell desktop with a flat screen monitor. The tower is only 1-2 yrs old, the flat screen is considerably older may be 7 yrs old.

So it all worked perfectly, then an hour later, I moved the mouse to wake up the screen and nothing happens. The computer is running, I have upplugged the monitor cables and power plug and replugged them all in, nothing changed. I powered down the computer and restarted and nothing happens.

The power butter on the monitor blinks, but it won't turn off unless I unplug the monitor from the power cord. It won't turn on either.

I have not changed any of the settings on the computer. The monitor shows then screen saver for a few minutes, then normally goes dark, until I move the mouse.

Has it died? I don't have an extra monitor at home here to test it.

Ideas?

Thanks.

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the input on the monitor? There should be an input button that will toggle between settings (VGA/DVI/Comp).

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something is wrong and needs to be fixed or replaced; the question is...is it the computer or the monitor? .and you already know how to test it...find a monitor you know works...and try it with your computer or plug your monitor to another computer

or it could be that the "power butter" has gummed up the works..happens to me whenever Im eating popcorn while on TUG:)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My thoughts:
Try the monitor on someone else's desktop. Take it someplace if need be.
... If it works, you may have a bad graphics card (or other) in your 'puter.
... A graphics card would be cheaper and easier to replace.
... If it doesn't, a monitor isn't worth fixing... better to replace.

If you have other access to the net, you could go online to Dell Support. It'll put you through a checklist. Once, we could not boot up the CPU. The checklist had us remove an internal part, try to boot, then put it back and remove something else. After 10 tries, the culprit turned out to be an old modem card... remember those?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
A blinking monitor power button usually means some sort of power supply problem -- probably a bad capacitor somewhere. I'll bet there's a new screen in your near future. Does your monitor have a "menu" button? Does pressing it do anything? Then probably a bad capacitor.

Surely you have a neighbor or friend that can help you troubleshoot. All you need is a known working monitor.

In the future, just turn your screen off when you're not using it. That's the best screen saver. Saves power, monitor life, and computer memory.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I am now incapacitated with the Noro virus and in the same shape as the monitor. DS happened to stop by and was quickly sent to buy Gatorade and a new monitor . That seemed to fix the computer problem . My stomach isn't fixed so easily .