• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Computer for my 5 year old grandson

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable (that is probably the operative word) age appropriate computer for my 5 year old grandson? He is in Kindergarten and learning to use the computer at school. I have educational games for him on my computer and I showed him one time what to do, and he is self sufficient. I wanted to get him a computer for Christmas for his house, but didn't (and can't) afford to put out $1,000+ for an "adult" computer. Suggestions?

mecllap

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy these days not to spend $1,000 on a computer. I got a new e-machine at Office Depot for my grandson a few years back that wasn't much over $300, and I think that's still possible. A "regular adult" computer is fine -- no need to hook it up to the internet. I may have already had a monitor available, which saved a little. I'm not sure he was even 5 yet when I got it.

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is where a mini laptop would be useful. No moving parts to damage if the thing is dropped.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many laptops, mini ones also, that are not expensive at all. You could try Costco. ToysR'us sell computers, that are fully functional (not toys) that are very good for children and not too expensive. If you have a computer store near you, you could even enquire about a refurbished one. It doesn't have to have all the bells & whistles on it or even a large amount of memory.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All 3 of my nephews were on an adult computer before 3 years old. I gave the nephews their own NEW adult computer when the oldest was just 4.

Their mom and dad could NOT use their computers w/o the boys wanting to watch and help. The neighbors could not believe they had 2 desktops and 2 laptops in one house in those days, a mear 12 years ago.:D

PS That 12+ yo machine still runs (not used much as the graphics & operating system are old and it is not an online). The boys have always been VERY GOOD with the computers and have not broken even a mouse. Can't say the same thing about their Gameboys which might be flung across rooms over the years.:D

Last edited:

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try CraigsList. I have seen internet ready computers with monitors for a $100.:D

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not all 5-year-olds are equally careful or easy study's. I don't know if this would be too 'kid friendly', but you might check out the 'One Laptop Per Child. http://laptop.org/en/ I think. These are made to take abuse. Run on minimal power, are networked, have no hard drive and use Linux. Nicolas Negroponte conceived these to provide to kids in 3rd world countries for (originally) $100. The price is up a bit now, and the last I heard, if someone in the 1st world buys one, another is provided to a kid in Africa, India, or somewhere else I can't remember.

I think the ASUS eeepc would also be appropriate for small fingers. I saw one at Target this week for about $300. I have one and find it great for travel and light use. The keyboard is a bit cramped for my big fingers to type 'War and Peace'.

You may also look into used (reconditioned) computers at a local retailer. I think I might not give a 5 Y.O. a laptop, because desktops are more easily (cheaply) repaired and generally more durable.

Jim Ricks

Last edited by a moderator:

mecllap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an Asus eeepc, which I love for travel -- it's so small and lightweight, but I don't think it would work very well for a child who will be playing games, educational or fun. Screen is very small. Mine doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, altho more expensive ones do now. A full-size system is more likely to work for a youngster, and be similar to what she/he would use at school.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not laptop

I would think for a child that age you would want a desktop. Maybe some family member has an old one. I keep an old computer at my house for grandkids to use. The 2 oldest ones, I'll let on my "good" computer, but I don't care if the ruin the old one.

As side tale. Grandson had a laptop and his 2 year old brother got ahold of it and took all the keys off. Yes, Grandson should have put it up, but they share a room!

Nancy

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We bought our daughter a laptop when she was 5, and never had a problem with it at all. They aren't as fragile as people think, IMO. The main reason we went w/ the laptop is that we wanted to keep it in the family room, so that we could keep an eye on how much time and what she was doing with it. A laptop tucks away nicely when not in use, unlike a desktop. And with wireless networking,there are no wires to mess with.

You can get a very decent laptop for under $500, and it would be a great choice for a child.

Kurt

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
iMac.

Our son fixed his little boy up with a standalone iMac, which did the job just fine when the little guy was in the 4-5 age bracket.

Our grandson is 6 now & currently computerless because the iMac hard drive conked out.

No doubt his dad will get the iMac going again soon, or come up with a suitable replacement.

Meanwhile, the little boy has not been computing much because he's been going around with his left arm in a sling ever since a school playground accident October 24. Strictly against the rules, he tried hanging by his feet from the rings on the jungle gym. He fell, breaking his arm above the elbow. After emergency surgery ( -- 4 pins -- ), he got a dandy plaster cast from armpit to wrist, & will be stuck wearing that till the pins get taken out December 2.

When the accident happened, The Chief Of Staff & I were away in Delaware for a seasonal last hurrah at our dinky non-traveling travel trailer, planning to stay till October 27. We cut that short & came back October 25th -- not that our being home was needed, just that Grandma Carol & Papa Alan couldn't enjoy being away knowing our grandson was ailing. That is, we didn't want to miss any possible opportunity to administer extra TLC.

Fortunately kids are resilient. The boy adapted OK to getting around in a cast & went back to school without even missing 1 day. On Halloween, his mom adapted his trick-or-treat pirate costume so that the cast served as a perch for the pirate captain's parrot. Instead of trying to administer shampoo to a 6-year-old in a cast, his mom resourcefully took the boy to a hair salon at the mall for a shampoo & cut. Everybody is doing OK.

Life is good.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband bought a reconditioned computer on ebay a while ago and it was fine. You might also find a reputible computer repair business locally that could sell you one for cheap. I'm talking laptops here.

Janna

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they are using Macs at the school, that's what I would get them.

-David

scooooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, Walmart had an early Black Friday special. They had Compaq laptops on sale for under $300. I got on for my 7 year old and 5 year old for Christmas - one for them to share. Gets them off my laptop! LOL!

I would highly recommend considering a mini laptop. The limitations they have are perfect for kids. I would also stick with a laptop opposed to a desktop. Great to take with you on vacations, etc.

Make sure you check out the black friday specials, too! There are going to be some incredible sales out there this year!

Rhonda

mtgolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can purchase an Asus eeePC for $299. They have a solid state drive which is much more durable than a hard drive and were originally made with kids in mind. I believe Toys R Us carries them and you really can't go wrong.

bp

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any updates? I am considering getting my 8 and 6 year old grandsons a computer. I talked with a friend that got her girls the same age, each a laptop and felt it was a great move.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
DS got our 11 and 9 year olds an ASUS mini-computer for Christmas.

Nancy

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I strongly recommend that whatever you get, you disable internet access.

A child that young does not have the judgment to know not to click on all the enticing pop ups, pop unders, win a free whatevers, and so forth.

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. We decided to wait for a year on the computer (by then he will be 6 and his sister will be 4) and we went with a Nintendo Wii. They are both VERY active so hopefully that will be a good fit. Happy Holidays!

Vicky