• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Computer connectavity problems...please help

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am running Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 1501.

The resort where we are staying has WIFI and I used it all last week with no problems. This week I have gotten on a few times, but most of the time it will not connect.

I get a pop up saying that I am connected and when I check "Connect to" it says that I am connected, but Explorer won't connect.

I have used Explorer's tool to diagnose connection problems. One time it said to fix the "winsock provider catalog", I clicked on the button to fix it and restarted the computer. I was able to connect using WIFI for a day or two...then it wouldn't. When I ran the diagnose connection problems it did not give me any choices.

I can use my AOL Dial up that I have for traveling, but it is slow. However, I think that shows that my modem is working. Explorer works fine with AOL dial up.

I have a feeling that I need to click on a button somewhere, but can't figure out where. Suggestions PLEASE.

Sandy :wall: :wall: :wall:

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am running Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 1501.

I can use my AOL Dial up that I have for traveling, but it is slow. However, I think that shows that my modem is working. Explorer works fine with AOL dial up.

I have a feeling that I need to click on a button somewhere, but can't figure out where. Suggestions PLEASE.

Sandy :wall: :wall: :wall:

I'm sorry to say that I probably can't really help you figure this out, but I can tell you that your AOL Dial Up uses your dial up Modem. Your wireless connection uses a Broadband Modem. These two Modems are completely different pieces of hardware within your laptop. So a working Dial up connection does not tell you anything about the state of your wireless connection. They are seperate entities and work independently of each other.

Does that make sense?

It is possible that the wireless in your resort is not reliable. I travel a lot for business and find that many times in Hotels, the wireless is "easy come/easy go." This is most likely your problem. Do you have a wired option in the room?

Try right clicking on the wireless icon in your toolbar and left clicking on [repair] That works for me often in new locations.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This is just a guess, but after Googling the winsock error you reported, I saw a LOT of sites talking about a trojan virus that was messing with files on the PC. Not sure if you have one, but you may want to try and check anyway. If you have a good, current virus protection software installed, you may want to check your system. Then I strongly recommend you go to www.malwarebytes.com and download their free malware scan tool. It's an excellent resource for catching those stray bugs that the major software may miss.

After things are clean, go to Network Connections in the Control Panel and delete the wireless connection settings. Restart your PC and try to connect again. You'll have to set up the wireless connection data again, but it should give a better chance of working right for you.

Edited to add: The Winsock entry is what controls your computer's ability to go online. If you can do so via LAN connection, then your Winsock settings are probably ok. But a free tool at this website will check your Windows Registry for errors, and fix things that are corrupted, which may include your Winsock entry: http://www.registrypatrol.com.

I'm sure others will have suggestions, too. But this will get you started.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
John and Dave thanks for your help. I tried the one that works for you when you travel, but it sadly it didn't work for me. I am going to wait until I get home tomorrow and see if my pc connects to my home network that I know is reliable before I make more changes. At least I can use AOL for now. Thanks again.

Sandy

shmoore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guys, I think John was right about the server being the problem. As soon as I got home, I checked out my computer on my local network and it worked like a charm. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Yeah...I am so glad I'm not having that problem at home. I like to use my laptop in the family room where my husband watches tv so we can be in the same room. My computer room is in the back of the house....too far away from dear sweet hubby of 45 years.

Sandy

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy,

I'm glad you're back up and running! Enjoy!:clap: