• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Comparing the Amount you Save Timesharing...

kool_kat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Tuscany and HGVC at Flamingo; DVC at Bay Lake Towers
Ok, I just bought my timeshare in October & am having great fun learning about the system & figuring out all the places I can stay & how much money I can save!

Anyways, I don't know if it's the accountant in me, or what, but I was just wondering if anyone had kept up with when they had actually broken even on their timeshare.

For example,
I paid $7,200 for my timeshare last year, including all closing costs. Plus, I just paid 2009 MF of $968, so total paid so far is $8,168.

I have booked two studio rooms in February at the HHV. I figure this is comparable to a hotel room (although, technically a studio is better). Two rooms with no view at the HHV for this period is roughly $3,100. So I am $5,068 from breaking even - all with only one vacation. I figure I can break even after approximately 3 trips (depending on where I stay).

I'm just wondering if someone who has owned say 5+ years has figured out if they have broke even and are ahead of the system?

Like I said, maybe I am too much of an accountant for my own good!

jestme

Reaction score
I have done the same thing. I use a rate per room night, and vary it by location. Your estimate is about 221/night for HHV, which is a fair / comparable retail rate for there, even though right now, you may be able to do better. In Orlando, it is much cheaper, and it's also cheaper in Vegas, so you have to adjust the rate accordingly. After 3 years of use, I have broken even from my original investment. In order to do it though, I had to use quite a bit of Open Season, and the bonus points I got from the developer when I bought. I always keep the estimated rate at a studio room, even if I book a 1BR, or 2BR. My assumption is that I wouldn't have spent $450 for a room like that to begin with. I would probably have stayed elsewhere for a studio rate.
Also, once you get familiar with 1BR and 2BR rooms, you will understand even more of the benefits of timesharing.

For more info on the studios at the HHV, read this thread, http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86621&highlight=Lagoon+studio

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
According To Our Rough Calculations . . .

. . . (resale) timesharing gets us luxury vacation accommodations for approximately Motel 6 & Super 8 rates.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I"m not certain that we've ever saved any money with timesharing but we really enjoy our vacations more than when we've stayed in a hotel room. It hasn't been a saving thing for us but more of a lifestyle thing.

Gerry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do the same thing keep track of where is the break even point!!! I bought in FL and Vegas and have had vacations in Kaui and the big Island for for a total of 4 times between the two, also 3 in Vegas so the point system is great for me. But the added advantage is the intangible is that it actually makes me want to take a vacation every year. Before I bought a timeshare I very rarely took vacation. Now I look back and say that was one of the best things I ever did was buy a T/S I have no regrets. Also, if I went on a vacation in a hotel, how many family members could you take with you. 6 people what's the cost for the hotel now, more than 1 room probably 3.!!!! They probably wouldn't have come with me, but now I can bring my family, nieces, nephews, grandchild, etc. I can't put a price on the intangibles it's tuff:whoopie:

mecllap

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's hard to figure out a hardline "break even" point because lots of things happen when you start timesharing. It will take longer for me, because I bought from the developer (not feeling too bad about that, because what I have doesn't come up often in resale, and I don't think I would have ever even learned about resale if I hadn't made the original purchase).

Anyway, in addition to the original purchase price, there are annual maintenance fees, room taxes, sometimes energy fees, etc. And the costs of taking more frequent, spiffier vacations than one might have otherwise. It's hard to resist one or two Getaways (with II), which are both a cost and a benefit. And using an Accommodation Certificate when you get one. We also have a "bonus week" that we can use, which only costs MFs when we use it (plus tax and the additional travel costs incurred).

It's also hard to decide how to balance the lodging costs -- do we compare the cost of a comparable unit for the week, or use the cost of the sort of accommodations we would more likely get if travelling the "old" way?

At any rate -- we are enjoying this "new" (for us) way of travelling -- much better lodging, and going for the temptation of travelling more than we might have otherwise. Not sure how to put a price on the total enjoyment we've gotten out of going to Grand Cayman three years in a row. It's still expensive, but it would never have occurred to me under my old travel mindset to do that.

In June, we have a week at Disney (DVC) (1BR) on exchange, and a week at a Marriott (2BR) with an AC -- serious improvement over the places we have usually stayed down there. (Without any amoritizing of the original costs, that's $626 MF, plus two exchange fees (239), plus the same taxes and fees we'd pay anywhere down there -- so a full two weeks, at less than $1000).

So, "breaking even" in the monetary sense? -- it's going to be several years before it feels like the original purchase is "paid off" but Suze Orman be darned -- I'm glad I got into timesharing even retail!