• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coming changes to Weeks / Points crossover grids

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts received letters a few weeks ago that RCI was revising the grids for Points members to trade into Weeks for those regions not changed a year ago. Such changes are badly needed if any semblance of fairness is to be injected into the system. Prime red weeks are averaged in with pinkish red weeks of much less demand. Prime oceanfront locations are averaged in with flatland inland locations of much less demand. Overaveraging causes prime Weeks inventory to be availible to Points members at bargain basement prices, shortchanging the Weeks system.

My question is = Will RCI's revision of these grids only tweak the numbers a bit while leaving the structure that overaverages intact, like was done last year, or will it make some more fundamental revisions to the structure of the grids to make it fairer, perhaps building on the example of fairer European crossover grid system?

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian,

Please see my comments below:

Carolinian said:
Resorts received letters a few weeks ago that RCI was revising the grids for Points members to trade into Weeks for those regions not changed a year ago. Such changes are badly needed if any semblance of fairness is to be injected into the system. Prime red weeks are averaged in with pinkish red weeks of much less demand. Prime oceanfront locations are averaged in with flatland inland locations of much less demand. Overaveraging causes prime Weeks inventory to be availible to Points members at bargain basement prices, shortchanging the Weeks system.

Points payback to the Weeks system is not in any way determined by the grid values assigned to the individual weeks. Payback uses the same components as Trading Power to provide truly equivalent inventory.

My question is = Will RCI's revision of these grids only tweak the numbers a bit while leaving the structure that overaverages intact, like was done last year, or will it make some more fundamental revisions to the structure of the grids to make it fairer, perhaps building on the example of fairer European crossover grid system?

I am not aware that the U.S. Points system plans to begin assigning point values to non-Points resorts. Although Points members may in some cases receive favorable point requirements for vacations (in other cases the values are less favorable), the inventory behind the points that is paid back to Weeks is based on the inventory itself -- not on the number of points required to reserve it.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
But when specific questions are asked about how this ''magic balancing'' between the systems (term from Sing Li article in Timesharing Today on GPN when it first came out) RCI will not give a full answer, so I have NO faith in this pay back of Weeks being on the up and up. Sorry.

Who cares if marginal inventory may be overvalued by this overaveraging. It is the PRIME inventory that gets put up for Pointers to snatch at bargain basement rates by the current crossover grids.

I am trying to suggest some proactive things RCI could do to make the system fairer, but I take it from your answer that they have no interest in doing so.

If you read the whole thread you refer to below, it shows that RCI is STILL not being fully forthcoming on how these intra-system transfers are done or whether they are fair to Weeks members. Hiding key information is not something that gives Weeks members any confidence at all.

Last edited:

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian said:
But when specific questions are asked about how this ''magic balancing'' between the systems (term from Sing Li article in Timesharing Today on GPN when it first came out) RCI will not give a full answer, so I have NO faith in this pay back of Weeks being on the up and up. Sorry.

Who cares if marginal inventory may be overvalued by this overaveraging. It is the PRIME inventory that gets put up for Pointers to snatch at bargain basement rates by the current crossover grids.

I am trying to suggest some proactive things RCI could do to make the system fairer, but I take it from your answer that they have no interest in doing so.
Carolinian,

I have in fact responded to this issue on TUG many, many times on behalf of RCI. Recently, I answered the question about one-for-one unit payback for Weeks inventory here.

When Weeks units are taken by Points members regardless of the points they used the inventory is paid back in kind.