• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Combine contracts or keep use years different

Lacardsfan

Reaction score
I know I saw this on this board before but I cannot seem to find the best thing to search for to pull it up.

Here is my question:

I have three contracts with Wyndham (Still waiting on two to transfer, but almost there.O)

Talking to someone on the phone she said that I should combine all three so I have one use year and can pay all MFs at one time.

I swear I read on here once before that it can be better to keep everything separate and have different use years. Cant remember why that was better.

Here is what I have:

49k April 1
49k July 1
140k January 1

So what is the best way to handle everything. I know the person on the phone is knowledgeable but I trust the TUGG team more.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Sent you a PM

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was the person on the phone by any chance a sales person? If so, their main motivation in giving you any advice is to sell you more points.

One reason to combine is to only have one transfer fee when you get rid of them later on. One reason to keep separate is to make it easier to reduce your ownership by a part later on. Another reason to keep separate is (if they are not all at the same resort) you reduce your chances of getting a huge special assessment in future.

Do you currently get a guest certificate per contract? What happens to that if you combine?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... I have three contracts with Wyndham ... What is the best way to handle everything ...

Depends what you want to do. I like different use years because of more flexability in the use of the points if you schedule and cancel reservations. It has to do with where the cancelled points go. If you have been given on offer by Wynhdam to take the three contracts back and give you an equilvant number of points plus a new purchase, then that depends on how bad you want VIP Status (especially if the three are re-sale contracts).

dr_adventure

Reaction score
Keep them separate - you can roll cancel points forward indefinitely with different use years simply by booking and canceling. Has the benefit of NOT paying the fee to use pool.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep them separate - you can roll cancel points forward indefinitely with different use years simply by booking and canceling. Has the benefit of NOT paying the fee to use pool.

I second that!

Depending on how many use years you have, you might create a small spreadsheet to keep things straight. I made one organized by calendar quarters, so I can always see what I've got when.