• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado-Vail or Breckenridge?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
I've read the reviews, and was wondering...if I "traded" a 2 bedroom from Las Vegas, what would be my chances of getting a 2 bedroom in Colorado in the summer? We are thinking of 2010.

Is there more to do in Vail or Breckenridge? Want to take our kids (mid-twenties).

Thanks.
Barbara

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Breckenridge should be an easy trade if you're looking for the month of June. July seems to be a little tighter. I was looking using a Silver season studio unit from Ocean Pointe and was able to pull 1 bedroom units at Marriott's Breckenridge resort without a problem.

We wanted July and a 4th of July week did come up but, we don't like to travel over the holidays so I passed. About that time I.I. deposited an AC into my account for one of our other ownerships and we snagged a 2 bedroom unit at Grand Timber Lodge with it. We really thought Grand Timber looked better, had maybe a better location and we could get a 2 bedroom rather than just a 1 bedroom at the Marriott. I'm sure if I'd have been patient, I could have snagged a 1 bedroom at the Marriott with just my studio unit deposit. Breckenridge didn't seem to be that difficult of an exchange.

EDIT:

I still have the Silver season studio unit to shop. Presently, this is what came up for exchange at Marriott's Mountain Valley Lodge in Breckenridge.

Marriott's MtnValley Lodge @Breckenridge
MVL
Breckenridge , CO , USA Resort Details & Photos
Jul 03 2009 - Jul 10 2009 1 bedroom sleeps 4 6

Jul 04 2009 - Jul 11 2009 1 bedroom sleeps 4 6

Last edited:

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'd have any trouble if you're shooting for 2010. There are 2 bdrms available in both places right now for next summer.

We'll be heading to Breckenridge next week. I've skied there many times, but this will be my first time there in summer. We'll be driving around a lot for sightseeing (RMNP) and various activities (rafting), so from that perspective, it doesn't really matter if we sleep in Vail/Avon or Breck. But, I like the town of Breckenridge. It's nice just to walk around the area, and there are lots of restaurant choices in town.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Vail is nicer, but a considerable shuttle ride to the slopes. Breckenridge is a converted motel, but it's ski-in, ski-out. Vail tends to have more advanced slopes, and the bowls on the back side of the mountain are great for experienced skiers. Breckenridge has some good beginner and medium areas, and a few good advanced slopes. Both have good shopping, restaurants and villages.

Which is better depends on your personal preferences.

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
Thanks for the info. We are looking for a 2 bedroom in June 2010. Do you think a 1 or 2 bedroom Las Vegas would get that?

Pit...please feel free to email me privately with your visit. Your summer activities planned sound like what we would do!

I've read the reviews that Marriott doesn't manage all the Vail properties...but if we trade through II, doesn't that guarantee a Marriott managed building?

THanks,
Barbara

skifast

Reaction score
To add to what Hoc said - if it was winter, there is no question - Vail has the better skiing.
As Pit stated, in summer, you tend to move around a little more, so both locales are good. At Breck, the Marriott resort is in town. At Vail, you either need to drive (free parking available) or take a shuttle to get into town.
Vail is more upscale, and has lots of activities every weekend. Also, the mountain in Vail has more activities going on, with easy access via the Gondola or chairlift.
We always stay in Vail, and just got back after having a great time!
Lots to do in summer - hiking, biking, beautiful flowers, great golf (the ball does travel longer), whitewater rafting, just hanging out enjoying the nice days and cool nights...

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. We are looking for a 2 bedroom in June 2010. Do you think a 1 or 2 bedroom Las Vegas would get that?

Pit...please feel free to email me privately with your visit. Your summer activities planned sound like what we would do!

I've read the reviews that Marriott doesn't manage all the Vail properties...but if we trade through II, doesn't that guarantee a Marriott managed building?

THanks,
Barbara

To qualify what I wrote earlier, my II search was not limited to Marriott properties. There are nice 2 bdrm units available at Grand Timber Lodge in Breck and Lakeside Terrace in Avon for next summer. So, I don't think you would have any trouble getting a nice place to stay in 2010 (especially June).

However, if you must stay at a Marriott, then you will want to opt for Vail. The Marriott in Breck only has studio and 1 Br units - no 2 bdrm.

I'm not up to date on the situation at StreamSide, but the II resort directory still lists Evergreen (MEV), Douglas (MDO), and Birch (MVB) buildings as Marriott. Hopefully, a StreamSide owner can comment.

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
One more consideration is whether any in your group is subject to altitude sickness. At about 10,000 feet above sea level, Breckenridge is more likely to result in a problem for someone like that. If I remember correctly, Vail is something like 8,000 feet, and it does make a difference.