• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado Timeshare

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
On another thread someone said that summer weeks in Colorado trade well, what areas in CO. trade well in the summer and what is there to do in that area? I always thought that Colorado was a ski/winter resort area and never thought summer.

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
We visited Pagosa Springs Colorado in June a few years back. Had an absolutely awesome Vacation. We rode both The Cumbres & Toltec and Durango & Silverton Railroads, took a drive down to the Four Corners area, (fantastic drive), went up to the Continental Divide, and saw Treasure Falls, and of course enjoyed the famous Pagosa Hot Springs. There was so much more to do in the area ~~ but then isn't that kinda defeating the purpose of Vacation?!! :shrug:

Sue

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Breckenridge is where we own (Grand Timber Lodge), and we have a summer week which is red season and trades well. In the summer, they turn part of the Breckenridge ski resort into the Peak 8 Fun Park with lots of activities (try Googling it). There is also whitewater rafting about an hour away and some of the companies may even pick you up in Breckenridge w/o you needing to drive there. Mountain biking, hiking, there is also Lake Dillon nearby. Typical outdoor mountain summer activities. I think there is also ziplining close by at Winter Park during the summer.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own summer float season at Grand Timber Lodge, too and have had good luck on trades, It is a three bedroom and when not using it, we split it up - a two bedroom and a studio. It trades with II.

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to mention that summer and winter season at Grand Timber are "red seasons" in Interval International (II) so we get a bonus week AC for depositing at least the 1bdrm. Since the units are lockoffs, if we deposited the studio and the 1bdrm, we'd get the bonus week, so 3 weeks of vacation each year. We own every other year, so our maintenance fees are around $350/yr for 2bdrm. Maintenance fees are slightly higher for a 3bdrm unit.

Last edited:

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also wanted to mention that summer and winter season at Grand Timber are "red seasons" in Interval International (II) so we get a bonus week AC for depositing at least the 1bdrm. Since the units are lockoffs, if we deposited the studio and the 1bdrm, we'd get the bonus week, so 3 weeks of vacation each year. We own every other year, so our maintenance fees are around $350/yr for 2bdrm. Maintenance fees are slightly higher for a 3bdrm unit.

I never thought about an every other year, hmmmm....can you please explain how the lockout works when you deposit it and how you get a bonus week?

I'm thinking this may be good especially with retirement in our near future.

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mjasp,
Our ownership is a floating summer season week, which means weeks 21-39, or roughly last week of May through September 30th. Like winter season, it is classified as red season ownership. We bought ownership for every other year, which means, we can use our timeshare for ONE week, during the above time, every other year. For us, it's odd years. You can buy one that is even years, for example.

First, I thought we might go up there for 4th of July. So on the first available day (May 22 2008) I made our reservation for the entire 2bdrm, for July 4-11, 2009.

Then, I went online to II a few months later and deposited the studio and the 1bdrm portions separately. You can also do this over the phone with an II rep. By depositing the 1bdrm I received a bonus week certificate which has to be used one year from the day I deposited the unit. As for the studio and 1bdrm, I have TWO years to book a trade, so July 11, 2011. By depositing my units, I no longer go to Breckenridge, but can trade and go anywhere there is availability within II. That's one week with the studio, a second week with the 1bdrm, a third week with the bonus week AC. With either the studio or 1 bdrm, I've seen 2bdrms in many places, even 3 bdrms. It just depends on how flexible of dates you have to travel. If you can only travel peak season (summers, holidays, spring break) your choices are a little more limited. But if you are lucky enough to just travel any time of year, you'll see a lot more.

As an example, we booked our bonus week for June in Arizona. Our studio deposit will be probably be Spring Break 2010 in San Diego. Our 1bdrm will probably be a summer trip or Thanksgiving trip in 2010. In 2011, we repeat the same process above.....book a week at Breck first, then deposit and vacation somewhere else.

If you're interested in buying at Grand Timber or have any other questions, send me a private message (click on CATBinCO) and I'll put you in touch w/ our rep there. He is very knowledgable.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
But don't buy from the developer!

You can buy a Sheraton Lakeside Terrace in Vail, just a little west of Breck, and they go for a few thousand dollars on eBay. I saw you owned at Vistana, so that would be a good choice, and would trade extremely well, if you like the system you already own.

Great timeshares are a rarity in Breck and Vail. You can buy into Hilton points, too. Our Frisco, CO, resort trades very well in RCI, but it is unusual to see any on the open market for that resort because there are only six units. Our fees are very low, too ($460), making it a very low-cost exchange. The owners sell to one another, through the newsletter that comes in the bill every quarter. And those owners are very firm on their prices. I want a ski week but won't pay $6K!

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you own a 3 BR L/O isn't that a 2BR with a 1BR attached to it? So when you use the 2BR and bank the 1BR where does the studio come into play?

I do own Vistana, but I own a week not Sheraton points.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way the units are set up at GTL, you can split it as a two bedroom and studio or two one bedroom units. The studio or one of the one bedroom only has a very limited kitchen.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
No idea how well it would trade - but Hyatt's Breckenridge resort is amazing.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
Grand Timber has inventory

We really like Grand Timber Lodge and have a tentative booking there for this summer over the 4th of July. We have been there prior on a spring break ski week. I used Hyatt points for these II trades.

The only thing I would comment on concerning a summer week and trading value, is that it was VERY easy to get that summer exchange. All I did was call the Hyatt number and there were several units in inventory. Now with the ski week, I did have to put in a request and it was filled in 8 days.

We were very impressed with Grand Timber and we stay there if our Keystone condo is rented. So, considering we think it is a suitable substitute for the Hyatt in Breck or our own Condo in Keystone - this is a strong statement.

The only draw back I can see from Grand Timber is that it is a large property that does have a sizable inventory at most times of the year. So, if you are purchasing for trading power you might be able to get something for less money. But, if you are purchasing to use and you get a good deal - it is a very nice property.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The huge drawback to Grand Timber: it isn't related to any large resort chains, which indicates future severe decreases in resale values; it will be out on the open market after the developer is gone for pennies on the dollar.

I wouldn't buy developer, and I don't see any great prices out there for resales right now. The Hyatts, Hiltons, Sheratons, Marriotts are all going to hold value better than a generic resort, no matter how nice it is. If you don't mind a generic resort, which is what I own:D , buy an older resort. I see great deals for Rockridge, French Ridge and Gold Point all the time, with lesser fees than the big resort chains.

CATBinCO

TUG Member
Reaction score
The developers of Grand Timber also have two other resorts in Breckenridge. The newsletters always say how they like to stay local to Breck and be part of the town. The owners did Gold Point first, then Grand Timber, and now are doing Grand Lodge on Peak 7 which is literally on the slopes of the ski resort. It's not a Marriott or Hilton group, but a local group of 3 in Breckenridge. I don't think they're going anywhere. I seem to recall they are City Council members of Breck or something like that.

I've stayed in the studio and it's fine for a small family. (It sleeps 4). There is a stove top, microwave, fridge, dishwasher and full bathroom. It's not like most studios that only sleep 2.

I've been able to trade a "mud week" in Breckenridge for Marriott Newport Coast Villas in mid-June. We have been happy with Grand Timber so far.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI is my favorite exchange company for my Colorado resorts. Grand Timber doesn't exchange through RCI.

The problem with II is that no matter how great your timeshare is, they hold back inventory. I love RCI because you can see great Gold Crown resorts two years out. I have a better chance of getting a resort on Hawaii in prime time through RCI, by just searching for what's sitting online. II only shows inventory for a few months out. I am not at all impressed with II for traveling anywhere but Disneyworld (at any time of year), Williamsburg, Arizona and last minute stuff.

I like the thrill of the hunt, and II deprives me of my fun. :rofl: