• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Choosing between Hawaiian resorts?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sometimes the convenience of the golf course can alone be a good reason to stay "on site" somewhere. If you don't play golf, that's obviously not a factor and you just look at the remainder. In the case of Mauna Kea, I'm not sure there's a good reason to stay there if you're not a golfer.
I'm sorry to hear that as our experience staying there was so great. Of course that was back in 1968, the resort was still new at that time. We did go so my dad, and my grandfather, could play golf. We were on a modified American plan where breakfast and dinner were included, I remember getting lunch at the clubhouse on the golf course. We didn't have a car, so we spent all of our time at the resort. We were only there for a few nights as this was one of those 2 weeks see 4 islands trips. I just remember the lush beauty, and the glorious beach. I grew up in southern California and had seen my share of beaches, but this was something special.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'm sorry to hear that as our experience staying there was so great. Of course that was back in 1968, the resort was still new at that time. We did go so my dad, and my grandfather, could play golf. We were on a modified American plan where breakfast and dinner were included, I remember getting lunch at the clubhouse on the golf course. We didn't have a car, so we spent all of our time at the resort. We were only there for a few nights as this was one of those 2 weeks see 4 islands trips. I just remember the lush beauty, and the glorious beach. I grew up in southern California and had seen my share of beaches, but this was something special.
I do believe they have one of the few "good" beaches on the Big Island, and that's a big draw. The Big Island isn't quite the breach place as much as, say, Maui or even Waikiki. And I'm sure in 1968 it was probably quite nice. It's not that it was bad, it was just dated. It lacks the impact and wow factor of the high-end (and price wise, it's high-end) beach front hotels in Hawaii. It's like an older Vegas hotel versus a new one on the strip.

skier4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Enclave by HGVC
Even during a pandemic, getting a reservation at the Lagoon tower for a 2-bdrm is a blood sport! I've stayed up till midnight a couple of times only to come up short. Having to make some tough choices about room size, view, and duration as we look to the Grand Waikikian... Hoping Kingsland is easier for the second part of our trip!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Even during a pandemic, getting a reservation at the Lagoon tower for a 2-bdrm is a blood sport! I've stayed up till midnight a couple of times only to come up short. Having to make some tough choices about room size, view, and duration as we look to the Grand Waikikian... Hoping Kingsland is easier for the second part of our trip!
Make sure you’re walking the reservation (book the first three nights then add-on every night).
Sometimes the Reservation system acts goofy, so if you run into problems adding a night online then just call immediately the next morning to get a rep to add the night for you.

Tip: If you don’t like crowds, I would avoid staying the 4th of July week when Waikiki has record numbers.

Ala Moana Center's annual 4th of July fireworks brings the crowds into Waikiki. Ala Moana‘s fireworks are launched from nearby Magic Island (link). I've only stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village once during the 4th of July. We enjoyed the 4th of July fireworks (link) but I didn't enjoy the crowds at all especially on the 4th of July. I've never seen it so crowded.
See this old thread for more details - https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/airport-to-grand-waikikian-transportation.227527/#post-1762486 (see post #6 through #14)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Sadly you’re probably also competing with commercial renters which is prohibited (link) but increasing at the Lagoon Tower since COVID-19. Redweek appears to have every week available within the 9 month booking window (from October 2019 to June 2020). :oops:

3097FD39-0CFA-473B-9644-C9EFD7A7A3A8.png

NOTE: I don’t plan on releasing my HHV home week for someone else to profit ;).

Attachments

• 486F33DF-31D4-4C6E-A494-12BA5F980405.png
    486F33DF-31D4-4C6E-A494-12BA5F980405.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 57A0A8F0-93FE-4F5F-B2A5-4E5F71440878.png
    57A0A8F0-93FE-4F5F-B2A5-4E5F71440878.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 3A0D2AC6-1200-4C3F-B9C6-B6CDE8E8B8EE.png
    3A0D2AC6-1200-4C3F-B9C6-B6CDE8E8B8EE.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 6A6CD382-38FE-4509-8261-F6A334D8B8B5.png
    6A6CD382-38FE-4509-8261-F6A334D8B8B5.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 15

skier4

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Enclave by HGVC
Sadly you’re probably also competing with commercial renters which is prohibited (link) but increasing at the Lagoon Tower since COVID-19. Redweek appears to have every week available within the 9 month booking window (from October 2019 to June 2020). :oops:
You know, I did notice a lot of availability when I went poking around to fill the point gap I had for GW. I'd hope that people wouldn't be booking because they were worried about traveling during the pandemic so I'd have a better shot. While I really don't like everything being taken on spec I do wish you could rent/swap points for when you have a gap.
Tip: If you don’t like crowds, I would avoid staying the 4th of July week when Waikiki has record numbers.
Wondered about that too. I originally wanted to go right after the kids got out of school but then I didn't get that weekend so I've pushed it back to where we're bumping up to the Fourth. I thought June crowds would be better than August (July doesn't always work for travel for us) but maybe I'll wait.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I'd hope that people wouldn't be booking because they were worried about traveling during the pandemic so I'd have a better shot.

With timeshare point systems, it’s best to book as soon as the booking window opens during peak travel periods. You can always cancel later due to Covid-19. ;)

Summer is peak season for families that travel based on the school calendar so expect more competition. Most summer school vacation overlap between late June through mid August so expect the most competition during this timeframe. And most families will want to book a two bedroom or larger.

Wondered about that too. I originally wanted to go right after the kids got out of school but then I didn't get that weekend so I've pushed it back to where we're bumping up to the Fourth. I thought June crowds would be better than August (July doesn't always work for travel for us) but maybe I'll wait.

Try to be as flexible as possible with your summer travel dates by booking whatever is available. All HGVC reservations booked online are changeable. So you can always change your online reservation if something becomes available days, weeks or months later. Keep checking ;)
Reminder: HGVC Grand Islander booking window starts later than the others (6 month vs 9 months before checkin).

For 2021 reservations, HGVC owners can use up to 4 years of points (saved 2019 & 2020 points, 2021 points and borrow from 2022 points). It’s actually a good time to splurge on a Hawaii vacation. :)

During peak summer months (when the kids are out of school) there will be more competition for oceanfront properties compared to non-oceanfront properties. This applies to all timeshare locations (not just Hawaii and not just HGVC).

HGVC also sold fixed summer weeks at HHV. For example, we know for Lagoon Tower they offered/sold 3 week fixed packages for the Japanese Obon holiday in August which can impact availability. NOTE: Fixed weeks are automatically reserved each year and can be released at anytime (up to 30 days before Checkin without penalty).

Here’s another TUG thread about HGVC Hawaii availability

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Rent a car, park for free at Kingsland, and basically ignore the Waikoloa Village big resort, often called the Hilton version of Disneyland out there. Yes there is a sort of beach but it’s on a lagoon. No direct beach access to the ocean for swimming other than walking around a rocky Peninsula. Instead drive 10 minutes to nearby Kapuna beach for sunsets every night. Also free!

When you want to go to the [Hilton] Village to grab something to eat, how do you get there? Can this big parking lot be used free of charge? Are there shuttles going between Kings' Land and the Village?

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
When you want to go to the Village to grab something to eat, how do you get there? Can this big parking lot be used free of charge? Are there shuttles going between Kings' Land and the Village?

When we stay at Bay Club or Kohala we walk. Even from Kingsland, we'd likely walk. No, the big parking lot has a charge. However, the beach access lot across the street can be used, but be careful about their hours as they lock the lot at night.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
When you want to go to the Village to grab something to eat, how do you get there? Can this big parking lot be used free of charge? Are there shuttles going between Kings' Land and the Village?

There is a free shuttle between the HGV resorts (Kingsland, Kohala, and Bay Club), runs every 30 mins. It goes to Kings and Queens marketplaces, where the majority of shops and dining are located. Not as much at the hotel complex.

If you take it to Queens you can walk out the back to A-Bay Beach, there is a beach in Waikoloa Resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we stay at Bay Club or Kohala we walk. Even from Kingsland, we'd likely walk. No, the big parking lot has a charge. However, the beach access lot across the street can be used, but be careful about their hours as they lock the lot at night.

Cheers.

So, my answer is actually not correct in this case. In general, that lot on the HWV property is not free, including for those staying there. However, for folks staying at Kohala and Kingsland, they get free use of the HWV amenities, including free parking (at least that was the case last time we stayed at Kohala.

We're going to Kingsland in 2 days. I should have this firmly in mind :)

Cheers.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Whenever I hear Waikoloa Village I think of the village up the hill, not the shopping centers in the Waikoloa Resort,

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Whenever I hear Waikoloa Village I think of the village up the hill, not the shopping centers in the Waikoloa Resort,

I agree. But the map was of HWV, so I just changed the wording on my answer to be less ambiguous :)

Cheers.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
You are correct, Waikoloa Village is 6 miles inland from the resorts. The area around the resorts is considered as Waikoloa Beach with King's and Queen's Shops in the complex.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You are correct, Waikoloa Village is 6 miles inland from the resorts. The area around the resorts is considered as Waikoloa Beach with King's and Queen's Shops in the complex.
When we stayed in the Waikoloa Resort area, both at the Bay Club and Kohala Suites, we would drive up to the Village to do our grocery shopping. There are (or at least were) a couple of good restaurants up there as well. In checking it looks like they are still there. Pueo's Osteria and Island Lava Java. Not quite the ambiance of being on, or near, the water, but less expensive than most of the restaurants in the resort area.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
When we stayed in the Waikoloa Resort area, both at the Bay Club and Kohala Suites, we would drive up to the Village to do our grocery shopping. There are (or at least were) a couple of good restaurants up there as well. In checking it looks like they are still there. Pueo's Osteria and Island Lava Java. Not quite the ambiance of being on, or near, the water, but less expensive than most of the restaurants in the resort area.

Pueo's Osteria will be moving to the new Waikoloa Plaza which will also house a Foodland supermarket, Popeye's Chicken and a few new restaurant options. The complex is still in development.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Pueo's Osteria will be moving to the new Waikoloa Plaza which will also house a Foodland supermarket, Popeye's Chicken and a few new restaurant options. The complex is still in development.

Is this going to replace the existing Waikoloa Village shopping center? Or is it another shopping center?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
thinking of going to the BI in the spring, have a few questions.

We are a family of 4 with teenagers.

Is it correct that we can stay at KingsLand in a 2BP2 (smaller 2 bedroom) for 8400 points; this includes free parking and free access to the Kingsland complex; free shuttle to the Hilton Waikoloa hotel complex; free use of the Hilton Waikoloa pool complex; and possibly free day parking at the Hilton Waikoloa as well?

Kohala and Bay Club do not have large pools; and Hilton Waikoloa has much higher point requirements as well as a daily charge for parking?

We stayed at KL many years ago as part of an HGVC promotion, before we were owners ,but have not gone back using our points.

Thank you for any advice -

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Is it correct that we can stay at KingsLand in a 2BP2 (smaller 2 bedroom) for 8400 points; this includes free parking and free access to the Kingsland complex; free shuttle to the Hilton Waikoloa hotel complex; free use of the Hilton Waikoloa pool complex; and possibly free day parking at the Hilton Waikoloa as well?

Kohala and Bay Club do not have large pools; and Hilton Waikoloa has much higher point requirements as well as a daily charge for parking?

We stayed at KL many years ago as part of an HGVC promotion, before we were owners ,but have not gone back using our points.

Yes that all sounds correct. For the free parking at the HWV Hotel, i think you have to stop at the bell desk and get your parking ticket validated if i recall correctly. It's not just a matter of using your Kingsland Room key at the parking gate. You just need to remember to stop and and get the ticket validated.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Black Friday sale, discounted points this spring. I booked a phase 1 larger 2br for less points than phase 2, in May. Check your dates, we love Kingsland, own there. Thursday afternoons on the ohana lawn, free hula show, order some pupu platters and drinks. Pool is the best one in the HGV system!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Just got back yesterday from our first stay at KL after a bunch at Bay Club and Kohala (I'll be doing a trip report later). If you want a very big pool, then KL. We don't want/need that, so the advantage of KL is minimal, and the locations are otherwise very much the same, really. Kohala gives HWV access just like KL, byt Baty Club does not.

Since we like to walk places (like HWV, Queens', Kings'), Bay Club/Kohala complex is better located.

KL is typically considerably more points than Kohala and Bay Club.

Cheers.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Just got back yesterday from our first stay at KL after a bunch at Bay Club and Kohala (I'll be doing a trip report later). If you want a very big pool, then KL. We don't want/need that, so the advantage of KL is minimal, and the locations are otherwise very much the same, really. Kohala gives HWV access just like KL, byt Baty Club does not.

Since we like to walk places (like HWV, Queens', Kings'), Bay Club/Kohala complex is better located.

KL is typically considerably more points than Kohala and Bay Club.

Cheers.
We enjoyed the afternoon live music by the pool and bar at Kings Land. Not sure if they have that at Kohala and I don’t recall it at Bay Club.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We enjoyed the afternoon live music by the pool and bar at Kings Land. Not sure if they have that at Kohala and I don’t recall it at Bay Club.

At least a few years back, Kohala also had live music in the pool bar area.