• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ceiling Fan recommedation

yan19454

Reaction score
My ceiling fan is not working. It has been a few years. I just want to replace it with reliable ceiling fan. Any recommedation ? I have a vaulted ceiling -high ceiling.

Thanks.

Last edited:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fans

I have purchased Hampton Bay fans from Home Depot and love them. If you have a stable outlet box, they do not woble like other fans.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I have a vaulted ceiling too and we just replace our fan with a remote controlled Hunter fan. The blades have two sides a light wood color side, and a dark wood color side. We chose the darker side to show and we love it. It does not woble and I love being able to change direction or speed via remote control. We love it! I also got it at Lowes or Home Depot. I will find out the model number and post again later this evening, that way you can check it out for youself!

Dorene

Autoeng

TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought a $129 Monte Carlo fan from Lowe's. Not happy with it. Appearance is ok but performance is not. Getting slower after less than one year. Bought an fighter plane fan for my son's room made by Craftmade and it is still good after one year. I judge Craftmade to be a brand you can trust. Fan prices vary wildly and I can only talk about ones that are middle of the road cost.

dukebigtom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Top of the line is Casablanca Fans. But, I think Hunter is also a great product. Not sure they may not even be related somehow. No experience with Hampton Bay.

BigTom

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I will find out the model number and post again later this evening, that way you can check it out for youself!

Sorry, we no longer have the box, that has the model number on it.

Dorene

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have a Hunter low profile and love it.

What is considered low profile? I need one that's not hung too low so no one will bump into it as my ceilings are only 8-9 feet high.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is considered low profile? I need one that's not hung too low so no one will bump into it as my ceilings are only 8-9 feet high.

8' ceiling is fine, no need for low profile, unless someone is 7' tall.

I bought a fan for every room in our house from Home Depot and the Hampton Bays or Hunters are all doing fine four years later. I think some of the expensive fans are over rated and I wouldn't waste my money. However, if you need a ceiling fan for a damp area like a bathroom, than you might want to get a more expensive fan. We have an open beam ceiling in a large bathroom with a ceiling fan that cost more than average, but it is really nice.

Denise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have several Hampton Bay fans in my home that are going strong w/ no problems for 8 years. The only fan I've had issues w/ is an Emerson that I paid about 3x as much for. My mom has a Hunter fan outside in a pool house that has been spinning for 30 years.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Watch Out For Too Fancy & Too Complicated.

Make sure the house wiring & room switches are OK for the fan -- not just the ceiling box overhead, but the wall switch too.

Otherwise you could end up writing your own chapter in the Doofus Diaries.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score

The 8-9 ft ceiling should accomodate any fan you prefer, no problem. For me, the low profile fan is ideal as I don't want a light on the fan, and I don't want a large unit that would be far too obnoxious for the room. I wanted it to blend into the decor without being a center piece any more than it is. The room has its own lighting decor and a fan light offers little or no ambiance.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure the house wiring & room switches are OK for the fan -- not just the ceiling box overhead, but the wall switch too.

Otherwise you could end up writing your own chapter in the Doofus Diaries.

If the OP's house is wired according to the National Electric Code, His wiring and switches can handle a fan. Most ceiling fans are in the 1/4-1/3 HP range. But even if he happens to find a fan with a 1 HP motor, it should only draw around 6 amps running. Start up amperage can double that for the second or two it takes to start. Houses are wired for 15 amps (14 guage wire) minimum, which includes switches and outlets. So I don't see where he should have a problem. If he lives in a very old house, he needs to check his wire size that's going to be feeding the fan. He could have 16 guage wire which is rated for 12 amps if I remember correctly. ( I usually use 12 gauge wire when I add a light or outlet which is rated at 20 amps so I don't run into this kind of problem.)
edit: The above statemant is for copper wire, if the house is wired with aluminum wiring, the wire needs to be one size larger to carry the same amperage. That is: 12 guage aluminum to carry the same amperage as 14 guage copper.

Last edited:

lll1929

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fans I have purchased are Hunters.

Great performance.

The one from when I was in high school (20) years ago from my parents house is in my house and the only issue with it is the speeds. The high speed no longer works but Med and Low work fine.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you or someone you know knows how, the switch can be replaced with a new 3 speed fan switch.

NJalison

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that Hunter and Casablanca have the same parent company. We have Hunter in our bedrooms and a Casablanca in our vaulted family room. All are great. The Hunters we got @ Home Depot and the Casablanca (new) on EBay at a substantial discount from what we looked at at specialty stores. We bought the fan unit and the blades separately. We had to buy the drop rod at the specialty store but those are only about $20 dollars depending on the drop that you need.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Flip-Switch Amperage.

Just make sure he gets a FAN switch and not a light switch. Fan switches can handle a heavier load.
Every 79-cent generic wall switch I've ever seen at Lowe's or Home Depot is rated at least 15 amps.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Every 79-cent generic wall switch I've ever seen at Lowe's or Home Depot is rated at least 15 amps.
Agreed. But if you are putting a "dimmer" or "speed control" switch, it does need to be rated for a fan, otherwise you can get some nasty humming / buzzing from the switch.

Kurt

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Don't Need A Weatherman To Tell Which Way The Air Blows.

Agreed. But if you are putting a "dimmer" or "speed control" switch, it does need to be rated for a fan, otherwise you can get some nasty humming / buzzing from the switch.
As you can tell from my Doofus Diaries entry, I am not a big fan -- no pun intended -- of the more fancypants & high-tech ceiling mounted air blowers.

Shux, even the el cheapo generic model ceiling fans from Wal*Mart, etc., are attractively styled & offer variable speeds & reversible air direction. Some of those even come with light kits.

There may well be rooms where it's nice to have the ability to fine-tune fan speed more precisely than simply Fast-Medium-Slow, & so for those the high-tech fan-rated speed-controlling wall switches could be just the thing. Ditto those that come with wireless remote controllers, like the ones for TVs.

Even so, I'm generally OK with ceiling fans operated by 79-cent Off-On flip switches -- so long as the fans have pull-chains dangling down for speed selection.

Then again, I'm easy to please.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Pulling My Chain.

One time, just for sheer excess, I took out the perfectly good Off-On pull-chain switch that works the overhead light fixture attached to the ceiling fan & replaced the original switch with a 4-way pull-chain switch.

The light fixture had 3 bulbs. With the original pull-chain switch, all 3 were on or all 3 were off. Period.

Too simple.

With the advanced 4-way pull-chain switch installed, there are more choices. All 3 bulbs can be off. One can be on & 2 off. Two can be on & 1 off. Or all 3 can be on.

The result is a 3-speed pull-chain light kit attached to a 3-speed pull-chain fan.

Overkill for sure -- all the more so because there were already dual side-by-side in-wall Off-On flip-switches for controlling the fan & the attached overhead light separately.

The Chief Of Staff was rolling her eyeballs over the whole deal.

Is this a great country or what ?

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was talking about replacing the switch inside the fan, not on the wall. You can get three speed fan switches and you can get three position light switches. Both can be chain pull. The fan switches are heavier duty.