• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Carambola on St. Croix or Scrubs Island Resort?

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for some new places to travel next winter. We have 12 nights booked at Frenchman's Cove (thanks to another thread). Then another Tugger/OP owner encouraged me to check out Carambola. I did and it looks beautiful. Thought we'd stop there before the stay at Frenchman's Cove. When I did a search for Carambola the crime on St. Croix was mentioned, though I couldn't find any details. This sent me to another search for more Marriott's in the Caribbean. Found the new AC on Scrubs Island. Both of them have excellent and not-so-good reviews. Current upgrading construction seems to be a sore point with both so I figure by next January some of that could be ironed out. Scrubs is a Cat. 8 but some of the reviews say it doesn't measure up.

Currently I have a reservation at Scrubs Island using MR points.

Any help would be appreciated.

Suzzanne

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score
I loved Carambola Beach Resort when I stayed there in timeshare.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you robcrusoe. Would you mind elaborating a bit for me? How long ago did you visit the resort? Did you also hear of crime on the island before you went and what was your impression about it when you were there? I remember back in '74 when we honeymooned on St. Thomas we were cautioned not to go to St. Croix. I don't know how things may have changed. Did you venture far from the resort and take day tours?

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
In 1972 a group of Black Panthers decided to rob the golf club at Carambola. I think they killed 4 tourists and 4-5 employees. They were armed with automatic weapons and escaped. They were caught a few days later. One of them escaped from jail after a few years and as far as I know he is still on the loose.

St Croix still suffers from this incident. On our visit a week ago we went to Christiansted, the main town, and encountered nothing unusual or frightening. We went to Fredricksted and never even got out of the car. Not because of crime but the town is very run down and does not offer anything that we were interested in.

The street fair on Friday night in Christiansted is a lot of fun. Lots of tourists, all the shops that are still in business are open and a very heavy police presence. Other than that the main attraction to this Island is the resort itself and the restaurants nearby.

robcrusoe

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you robcrusoe. Would you mind elaborating a bit for me? How long ago did you visit the resort? Did you also hear of crime on the island before you went and what was your impression about it when you were there? I remember back in '74 when we honeymooned on St. Thomas we were cautioned not to go to St. Croix. I don't know how things may have changed. Did you venture far from the resort and take day tours?
The 'crime' on St Croix all dates back to the golf course incident. We had a rented car and went EVERYWHERE, you need a car for Carambola. I never felt unsafe anywhere on the island. Our visit was this century but I can't remember the exact year. St Croix is wonderful.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
My friend bigfrank and another non-TUG member own on Hotel on the Cay - Julianna and her husband have been going every fall for for 2 weeks for 5 years and using usual vacation sense, have not have a problem and just love it there.

That said, I am a BIG fan of the BVIs - we visit St Thomas every year and always do a trip there - honestly, that would be my first choice based on the beauty of the area and the 45 minute ferry ride from STT.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jim, Rob and GrayFal for taking the time to respond. I've got to say that anything surrounded by sand and turquoise water is sounding wonderful right now. We leave for Canyon Villas this Friday and while I'm psyched it's just not the same as a beach.

GrayFal, thank you for the reference to Hotel on the Cay. Very interesting. Can you tell me what kind of "visits" you do to the BVI's?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you Jim, Rob and GrayFal for taking the time to respond. I've got to say that anything surrounded by sand and turquoise water is sounding wonderful right now. We leave for Canyon Villas this Friday and while I'm psyched it's just not the same as a beach.

GrayFal, thank you for the reference to Hotel on the Cay. Very interesting. Can you tell me what kind of "visits" you do to the BVI's?
We have taken day trips to Virgin Gorda, the Baths, Jost Van Dyke with New Horizons http://www.newhorizonscharters.com/.
I have also taken the ferry and walked around Tortola.
We have had a cruise stop on Tortola as well and done some snorkeling.
The area is just so beautiful, the idea of spending 4-5 days there is very appealing.
We have two fixed January weeks at Bluebeard's BeachClub right down the beach from the Marriott and we enjoy those visits and day trips to STJ and BVI very much.

Hotel on the Cay is in St Croix. Funky little place right in the harbor.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs

Have a great trip. While it's not sun and sand, we were pleasantly surprised at what a great trip we had there in December. Fabulous sightseeing in the area and a bit N to Sedona. And although many people recommended against it since it is a bit of a trip, if you've never been to the Grand Canyon it was an amazing day trip and a good enticement to go back.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have taken day trips to Virgin Gorda, the Baths, Jost Van Dyke with New Horizons http://www.newhorizonscharters.com/.
I have also taken the ferry and walked around Tortola.
We have had a cruise stop on Tortola as well and done some snorkeling.
The area is just so beautiful, the idea of spending 4-5 days there is very appealing.
We have two fixed January weeks at Bluebeard's BeachClub right down the beach from the Marriott and we enjoy those visits and day trips to STJ and BVI very much.

Hotel on the Cay is in St Croix. Funky little place right in the harbor.

Thank you again GrayFal. That brings up another item. You said 4-5 days would be appealing. Currently I have lots of days reserved at Scrubs. With either island (St. Croix or Tortola) I was wondering if a 5 night certificate would be enough or should I go for 7.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Five nights is enough at ST Croix because there is not much to do on the Island. Can't comment on Scrub Island, never been there.

These two resorts are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Scrub Island seems modern and very high end. Carambola is very laid back and casual, nothing modern about it at all.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Jim for your help. Actually both resorts seem fine to me. I'm tending to lean towards Scrub Island for the simple reason I'd like to explore the BVI's on day trips.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again Jim for your help. Actually both resorts seem fine to me. I'm tending to lean towards Scrub Island for the simple reason I'd like to explore the BVI's on day trips.

Thanks to your post, I have just booked 5 nights at Scrub Island to go with my 7 night stay on St Thomas next January.
Very, very excited as it looks just wonderful!!!

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
GrayFal,

You should really thank Jim. He's the one who encouraged me to look at Carambola. That's the thing about travel forums--you get the bug to be there.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm annoyed with both of you. I had my 2013 plans all set, 4 weeks at MFC in February. All I had to do was wait for the best airfare.

Now I'm scrambling around try to see if I can fit Scrub Island in before the MFC trip. You guys are a bad influence. :rofl: :shrug:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh that's funny :D Besides getting the flights nailed down for our St. Thomas/Tortola return I'm working on an Alaska adventure for this summer. Instead of the usual cruise we're looking at the interior. The Alaska Railroad seems to have some nice packages. http://alaskarailroad.com/Vacations/tabid/121/Default.aspx

Did that catch anybody's interest?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GrayFal,

You should really thank Jim. He's the one who encouraged me to look at Carambola. That's the thing about travel forums--you get the bug to be there.

Actually I'm annoyed with both of you. I had my 2013 plans all set, 4 weeks at MFC in February. All I had to do was wait for the best airfare.

Now I'm scrambling around try to see if I can fit Scrub Island in before the MFC trip. You guys are a bad influence. :rofl: :shrug:
Well, it is REALLY your fault!
I am sure some January time would be just lovely....I just booked my FF tickets home from EIS, so excited about this and I will be surprising DH, he thinks we will be doing our usual 10-11 days on STT, won't he be happy when he finds this to at the airport rental car counter when he asks, why only a 6 day rental??? :cheer:

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
flights are all booked

Don't you just love it when the reservations are all confirmed?

Got my return from St. Thomas booked this morning using MileSaver award with AA. Scrubs Island, Frenchman's Cove and air all booked :cheer:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't you just love it when the reservations are all confirmed?

Got my return from St. Thomas booked this morning using MileSaver award with AA. Scrubs Island, Frenchman's Cove and air all booked :cheer:
I am looking forward to finally meeting you - I have "known you" on TUG for 10+.....going to be great!