• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rentals in Hawaii

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I am working on our planning for 2009. We have our timeshare booked for Waikiki 8/29-9/5 and a mid sized car through carrentals.com/advantage for $135 total for the week. In looking at our "piggyback" week, we're hoping to do either Maui or Kauai but haven't been able to score the exchange yet.

In looking at car rentals for those islands, plus the Big Island, I'm surprised to see the differences in pricing (again through carrentals.com):

Maul $150 (total for the week)
Big Island $250-ish
Kauai $350-ish

It would appear that where Advantage operates, they keep the rates down. Without Advantage on Kauai, they are very high.

What has been your experience finding decent rental prices for Kauai? Any advice or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Von

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Try bidding at priceline. I got a Premium car on Kauii for the week at $20 a day plus taxes, and fullsize on Big Island for $19 a day plus taxes for the week. Both are with Hertz. Both ended up being about $190 for the week after taxes and fees. They beat all the quotes I had through Alomo using entertainment book discounts and coupon. Only thing is to bid your locked in and have to pay then at priceline.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Try Alamo through the Costco site or with the Entertainment Book coupons. I just snagged a mid-size on Maui, in Jan., for $116, all in! The compact was $106, all in. :) Did not try Kauai but I think you should.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Car rentals on the Big Island for the first two weeks in March are through the roof. I've got vehicles rented at a bit lower but I'm sure hoping they come down between now and then.

Palguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bid $14 a day one month before our recent trip to Maui with Priceline and won a midsize from Alamo. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get one for less if you bid closer to the day you leave. You can always cancel your current reservations (other than with Priceline). With travel to Hawaii down as much as it is right now there is a glut of rental cars.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have generally received the best rates on Kaua'i via Priceline or Hotwire. Kaua'i rates are generally higher than other islands (except Moloka'i).

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep checking weekly until your departure! This past February, we were able to get a reservation for both Maui and Kauai for about $99 a week plus taxes, but these rates appeared about 6 week - 4 weeks in advance of departure. You can cancel your existing reservations without penalty. :)