• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental in Florida

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be going to Fort Lauderdale in May (Fairways of Palm Aire). My wife and I have twin 3 yr old girls, I have been looking for a car rental and they all want $9/day per car seat.. This adds up to $126(at Alamo using a 20% coupon).

Tax seems to add up to about 50% of the rental cost, so I start out with a Uplander for $127 for the week and it ends up after car seats and taxes to about $320.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I would like a mini-van, but I will take a full size car if it saves me a decent amount of money.

Thanks
Joe

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, am amazed at the prices for rental cars in Ft. Lauderdale. The taxes are ridiculous. The car is more costly than the airline ticket! I have not found anything reasonably-priced recently either. Anyone can help us?

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, too!

I have a reservation for the cheapest thing I could find that would accommodate the four of us at Jacksonville airport, which is a mid-size at $243 total for the week. Really high price from what I've rented in the past in Florida.

JLB

Banned
Reaction score

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're bringing our car seat. We rented a mini van in Miami for March and with taxes, it'll be $328 with Avis using a code that someone posted here on TUG. I think car seat rental charges are ridiculous so we're bringing ours and checking it in with our luggage. I'm just going to put it one of those huge plastic bags that are for bikes etc.

Debi

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Car Rental

I have seen the Tote 'n Go travel carseat on sale for $29.95. It is a carseat that is soft and can fold into a bag. With these I can rent the minivan for under $200 including tax, hopefully.

I was a bit skeptical about how safe a soft car seat was, but a woman posted a review that said she was involved in an accident that resulted in her car rolling over and the seat worked great, keeping the child attached to the seat, even when upside down. Now, I just have to convince my wife.

I will let you know how it goes.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, royerh!

royerh said:
go to tug posting in this section made by anne1125 on Jan. 16th for discount code info.
heather

Those discount postings helped. I didn't catch that thread the first time around. I checked one of the discounts through AVIS and it's $35 less for an upgrade to a standard size from the intermediate I had reserved through Dollar. Thanks again! :)

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's great -- a minivan for under $200. Did you have to use any discount codes or anything? I'm still trying to reduce our mini-van rental out of Miami -- so far, it's $328 with all the taxes.

Thanks, Debi

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
Through National's Emerald Club a mid size SUV (Equinox) is $156.58, A minivan (Uplander--very nice) is $172.98, and an SUV (Trailblazer) is $209.06.

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a great rate. I think the Uplander is what I'm getting for $328. Unfortunately, I'm not an Emerald Club Member.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uplander

You can get the uplander at the rate I quoted using Walmart's 20% off Alamo coupon. The code is on Mousesavers.com

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it has something to do with what airport you're picking up at. I went to Alamo and used the rate code you mentioned from Mousesavers and it ended up being about $275 for the week including taxes -- and that was for the Uplander (or similar). I think you said your rate of $200 included taxes. Please confirm. Thanks, Debi

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Caravan has built in toddler seats.

Check if the rental company has Grand Caravans in their fleet. That's what I rented during my recent Orlando vacation and saved the cost of renting car seats and the hassle of lugging car seats for my twins all the way doen to Florida.

Charles

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
mikey0531 said:
That's a great rate. I think the Uplander is what I'm getting for $328. Unfortunately, I'm not an Emerald Club Member.

Signing up is no big deal. Go their site or call. The reason I did in the first place was to get a great rate in Hawaii.

As to another comments, rates vary by airport, date, and car category. The car category is not always what you thin it might be, that nicer cars cost more. It has to do with availability at that location that date. In my above examples lesser vehicles were much higher.

And there's a lot more than taxes involved in the mandatory extra fees. In our recent $598 quote, the car itself was $456.81.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Reaction score
What am I missing on the child car seat issue? Do some vehicles have them built in? If so, which ones, I may want to start having kids. :cool:

PS--The Uplander didn't, I don't think.