• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Capt. Andy's Na Pali Dinner Cruise

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hey Tuggers,

We are on our first trip to Kauai, and wanted to see the Na Pali coast "up close and personal." Based on Tugger recommendations, we booked this four-hour tour with Capt. Andys, and we went yesterday afternoon.

I can't say enough good things about this tour. It was FANTASTIC! The boat crew were polite, attentive, knowledgable, and a whole lot of fun. They made the experience worth every minute, and the money spent one of the best tour experiences we've ever had.

The skipper, named Rick, was the best. He kept up a fun and entertaining narration throughout, tossing in tidbits of facts that made the whole experience very worthwhile. He got us VERY up close and personal to the Na Pali cliffs, pointing out details we wouldn't have seen otherwise, like monk seals on the beach, and explaining the surprisingly busy coastline we were sailing past.

On the way back to Port Allen just about sunset, we got word that another boat had seen three humpback whales in the area. He detoured a bit to try and get us close to them, but it was just too dark by then to see anything. But the early whales are definitely in Kauai now.

We both agreed that the $95 per person discounted price we paid was worth every cent, and we plan to do this trip again. Even the teriyaki chicken dinner they served was really good.

Book via their website to get the discount (www.napali.com) or take a timeshare tour for free tickets. You won't regret it for a minute.

Dave

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Captain Andy's is a must do for us on every trip.:D

Their food is catered by Mark's Place just downhill from the Community College in the Puhi Industrial Park.

Mark's Place is not always open because of preparing for a catering activity but when they are open they are packed. Typically with 300# Hawaiian Construction Workers. Take away only but definitely worth it.:D

Sterling

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Captain Andy's is a must do for us on every trip.:D

Their food is catered by Mark's Place just downhill from the Community College in the Puhi Industrial Park.

Mark's Place is not always open because of preparing for a catering activity but when they are open they are packed. Typically with 300# Hawaiian Construction Workers. Take away only but definitely worth it.:D

Sterling

Wow, that dinner was excellent! I'd bet it's even better without the tossing boat under me... ;) I'll definitely check out Mark's Place. Thanks for the tip, Sterling!

Dave

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How rough was it? We're leaving for Kauai a week from Saturday. Did you see any whales?

I believe last year there were 30 foot waves on the North Shore about this time of year. More than my boogie board could handle. :D

Kauai is an incredible place. I'm almost as excited about going there as we were on our first trip 25 years ago.

Flying to and from is the only bad part of the experience. :(

Sterling

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We flew Seattle to Lihue nonstop on Alaska. Easy flight, but terribly bumpy ride. It was good to finally get on the ground.

Weather this week has been mostly sunny, with cloudy times, and periodic rain. The weather for the cruise was excellent. There was a lot of leftover chop in the water, so we were rocking quite a bit. Took a fair amount of spray over the bow at times. It was warm enough that nobody really cared, but if you're inclined to seasickness, be ready. Bonine seemed to work for me, even though I'm not the seasick type. One woman on the boat was pretty ill, but everyone else seemed okay.

Whales: As I reported in my initial post, on the way back to Port Allen, another cruise boat radioed that they saw three humpbacks. Our skipper detoured to try and see them, too, but it ws already too dark, and we couldn't see anything. So yes, the early whales are here. I had a talk with lifeguards at Haena Beach yesterday, and they haven't seen any yet.

Enjoy your trip - we leave tonight on the red eye -- we'll be back in cold, rainy Seattle area tomorrow morning. SIGH... :)

Kauai has captured our hearts and minds very well. We're already planning the next trip here in about 18 months, and talking about what we plan to do here. I'll mark the calendar... LOL! :)

Dave

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Quick Follow-Up Question

For those of you who have sailed with Captain Andy's, would you recommend the six-hour daytime cruise or the four-hour dinner cruise? Beyond the obvious issues with time of day, do you have a notable preference? Thanks in advance to fellow TUGgers for your expert advice!

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are also in Kauai now.

The economy is suffering terribly
Worse than Oahu

Stores are closing, restaurants are empty and there is no problem with access to any location. We spoke to a few shopkeepers - they are reallly hurting.

Weather has been beautiful but we are very conscious of the economic problems here.

Aloha

Mimi

TUG Review Crew
Reaction score
We are also in Kauai now. The Hawaiian plane was only 25% full from HNL, but in Kapaa, business seems to be thriving. We went to Kilauea Lighthouse but saw no whales there today. We did see 3 frisky whales on the way back, at the lookout at Kealia, near Kealia Beach. :wave: