• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Capital Vacations buys Vacation Resorts International Americas

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if there are any "wind downs" at some of these properties. VRI has quite a few that are ripe for sunsetting. The dirt beneath the building is worth more than the building.

This is something that we have been wondering about at Hollywood Sands.

They are currently constructing condos on the inner coastal on our block and the company has acquired some lots across the street that they're using for storage.
The Marriott next to us owns some of the property between us and them.
I'm hoping for 10 more years. By then, there probably won't be anymore ocean front property for $765 per week plus inflation in Jan/Feb in South Florida.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Here's a thread where MROP (managed by VRI) sent out and assessment on April 30th and states that it's delinquent if it's not paid by May 1st. Could this be someone trying to squeeze some money out before the transaction took place?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Foxrun owners wouldn't go along with the sunsetting of Foxrun. They fought tooth and nail. I would rather have ended Foxrun as a timeshare.

headoflife

TUG Member
Reaction score
Foxrun owners wouldn't go along with the sunsetting of Foxrun. They fought tooth and nail. I would rather have ended Foxrun as a timeshare.

Me, too Cindy. I find it hard to believe it isn't worth more as land, or whole ownership units. I get good trades, but it would have been a clean way to be done with it, and maybe even come out a little ahead.

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a points chart for Capital Resorts? I can not find one anywhere.

Great question as I also have been looking for it. We attended a VIP weekend recently at Stormy Point (SPV) in Branson & got this info on their tiers:

Tier 1: 35k SPV is tier 1 sept/oct- April
Tier 2: 75k
Tier 3: 100k SPV is tier 3 May-sept
Tier 4: 150k
Tier 5: 200k
Tier 6: 250k

These amounts are for a week.

They wouldn’t give us all the details but I got that info which was more than I’d seen. We have a deeded week & they want us to move to points. We’ve now been invited 3 times for inexpensive weekends wanting our week& keep saying NO.

tomt73

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lake Placid Club Lodges, Las Brisas de Santa Fe.
We own 7 weeks (4 on points) at Lake Placid Club Lodges (LPCL, Lake Placid, NY) and two winter float weeks at Las Brisas de Santa Fe (Santa Fe, NM). I just succeeded in getting VRI hired as Las Brisas' new management company. I drafted both the Request for Proposals and the Proposal Evaluation Metrics for the Board. I also did a bunch of research legwork both to convince the Board a new manager was needed and to identify prospective candidates.

VRI has managed LPCL for about 25 years, with great results and owner satisfaction the whole time. They do a great job of hiring and supporting on-site management and staff. They've also come up with creative solutions to problems that face independent resorts. Their acquisition by Marriott didn't seem to affect their relationships and performance for their independent resort clients at all. It will be interesting to see how Capital Vacations integrates with them, VRI being much the larger organization in the deal.

BTW, I've been told (years ago and this may have changed), that owners of VRI-managed properties get a priority in RCI's platform when exchanging into other resorts managed by VRI. This seemed to work for us last winter when we exchanged into Jackson Pines, a VRI-managed property in Jackson, WY.

Amadeus51

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paniolo Greens (Hawaii - Big Island), Pono Kai (Hawaii-Kauai), Royal Dunes (Hilton Head), Jockey Club, VI (group of resorts)
VRI does management for MROP; Does anyone have information about implications to MROP from the Capital-VRI deal??

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I own at 2 Independents and haven’t had issues at VRI. Hopefully there will be a buyback program instituted.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
VRI was managing Sedona Springs when we purchased there in 1996. We were very happy with their management of the resort. Later we had to endure the years of what I always refer to as the "Sunterra Fiasco". Whatever else you have to say about Diamond, they brought VRI back as our management company and I was elated! It has been smooth sailing ever since.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Me, too Cindy. I find it hard to believe it isn't worth more as land, or whole ownership units. I get good trades, but it would have been a clean way to be done with it, and maybe even come out a little ahead.
Glad they didn't. Love Foxrun and have only traded it twice in the last 12 years. We're going there next week.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I own four weeks at The Resort on Cocoa Beach, a VRI-managed facility. I've had very little direct contact with VRI. I make reservations and pay maintenance fees for the next year while we are at ROCB, usually in May. Confirmations look like they come from VRI and I can go into VRI's web site to check account status. If it continues to work like that, I'll be happy.

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a Yellowstone summer week that is managed by TPI. TPI is also our exchange company although I could deposit our week to RCI or II should I so desire. I think TPI (and our independent HOA) is doing a good job managing our resort as we've gone through upgrades and built a new clubhouse/pool with very minor increase in our MF.

The odd part of TPI being the managing entity and also the exchange company is that our booking confirmations will have the "Trading Places International" logo and watermark. I always need to explain (to my renter when renting out) that I got my week by paying my maintenance fee vs. snagging it from the exchange.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the Apollo investment company the same company that own shares in the acquisition between DRI and Hilton?

Yes, but it looks like they may have only provided financing for this deal between Capital and VRIA.

Apollo took ownership of Capital Vacations in 2018. The latter was a private company, so there was nothing in the press. Apollo "providing financing" for the current deal, works much like they provided the financing to take Diamond private -- the loan is secured by the equity of the company and Apollo owns the company's equity.

Last edited:

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I consider them Diamond-Light. They are following the Diamond business plan. They even created their own DEX program called Global Exchange that uses RCI as the behind the scenes platform.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
Just tried to get into the VRI owners portal and this is the message I got

This page isn’t working right now
vriresorts.com can't currently handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Just tried to get into the VRI owners portal and this is the message I got

This page isn’t working right now
vriresorts.com can't currently handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

I hope they get that fixed soon. I need to make a 6 am reservation next Friday.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got into the Owners Portal.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. We stayed at a Capital Resort over Thanksgiving in 2017 on the "Inner Banks" of the NC Coast. There was *one building* built, and a live-in onsite manager. The units were *huge* and had clearly been built with whole ownership in mind. It's still the largest kitchen I've ever had the pleasure of prepping Thanksgiving dinner in, and that includes my own house. :)

But there was never even an ask about a presentation. The manager was just that--a manager--and had nothing to do with sales. We invited him to share Thanksgiving dinner with us, and he did. Delightful fellow. I think there were plans to continue building out--the entire site had been prepped, utilities put in, etc.--but I'm not sure they have. This would have been just before Apollo entered the picture. There was a brand new outdoor pool/hot tub/grill/fire pit/gazebo area that was quite lovely, and it was right on the water.

In the press release, they mention that "if requested" Capital will reach out to the VRI-managed resorts about other products/services. So maybe there won't be full integration into the VRI/TPI exchange unless the individual HOAs request it?

Interesting stuff....

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
I hope they get that fixed soon. I need to make a 6 am reservation next Friday.
I now got in, thanks.
I guess the buyout did not have anything to do with my not being able to get in.
Thanks again