• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canyon Villas: Scorpions Galore

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Canyon Villas is such a wonderful resort on many levels, and the rooms are spacious and luxurious. Access to the JW is an added plus. We have had a fantabulous time here except for scorpions in our ground floor unit. Today was the third scorpion this week. My wife had had it, so we just changed rooms tonight to a 3rd floor unit. That was a big hassle, packing up and moving to stay for two nights, but for the safety of my children and the psychological sanity of my wife, we had to do it.

The scorpions have marred what has otherwise been one of our all time great vacations. Marriott needs to get it together on this.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Canyon Villas is such a wonderful resort on many levels, and the rooms are spacious and luxurious. Access to the JW is an added plus. We have had a fantabulous time here except for scorpions in our ground floor unit. Today was the third scorpion this week. My wife had had it, so we just changed rooms tonight to a 3rd floor unit. That was a big hassle, packing up and moving to stay for two nights, but for the safety of my children and the psychological sanity of my wife, we had to do it.

The scorpions have marred what has otherwise been one of our all time great vacations. Marriott needs to get it together on this.

I take a black light when ever I stay in a desert location. They glow in it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Kinda like lizards in Florida. We had one sneak in to our unit one time when it was by the door and we opened it and it scampers in. Called to see if they could find it and catch it which never happened. We would see it every time when we would return to the unit, but just as we walked in, it would run under the kitchen cabinets. I suppose it ended up dying and drying up and is under a cabinet in some unit at Grande Vista.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Color me GONE! I saw enough of that in an earlier incarnation.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The manager called us this morning and made a gesture to "make it right" so to speak, in addition to moving us last night. I do give them credit for the gesture. One other note is that we are now in the 2300 building in a dedicated 2BR unit. A few notable differences from our 3100 bldg 2BR lockoff unit:

- The kitchen sink counter/island is split level in the lockoff, with a much higher bar height section. In the dedicated 2BR, it is all the same height
- The second bedroom in the lockoff has a king w/ queen sleeper rather than two queens in the dedicated. The dedicated is missing the small table with two chairs for dining that the lockoff has. But that also creates the feeling of more space in the unit.
- The 2nd bathroom in the dedicated 2BR unit is a different configuration, which I slightly prefer, as it has a much longer vanity than the lockoff unit.
- The door to the lockoff is really plain odd, like they never really intended it to be used as part of a full 2BR unit. When the door is open, it overlaps with the closet (and wouldn't stay all the way open to boot, a hinge leveling thing in our unit I suppose). In the dedicated 2BR, there is an inset section for the tv and drawers where the closet was in the lockoff, and the door swings the opposite direction against an empty wall, which makes way more sense. In the lockoff, that very wall is exactly where the tv and drawers are.

So I prefer the dedicated 2BR, although the location is a bit further out from the main lobby area.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
scissors are the answer

Scorpions kind of creep me out too. I live in a rural inland area in Southern Ca. and we occasionally get a scorpion in the house. I have no clue how they get in. Perhap through the fireplace chimney?

The best thing to do is to use a scissors to first cut off the tail and then slice the body in half.

I guess that although the original poster was also creeped out that I don't know what Marriott could have done differently. The critters live in the desert. Canyon villas is in the desert.

BTW, it is my understanding that the sting from the scorpions in Arizona and Ca. is like a really bad bee sting and that a person will live through it.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scorpions kind of creep me out too. I live in a rural inland area in Southern Ca. and we occasionally get a scorpion in the house. I have no clue how they get in. Perhap through the fireplace chimney?

The best thing to do is to use a scissors to first cut off the tail and then slice the body in half.

I guess that although the original poster was also creeped out that I don't know what Marriott could have done differently. The critters live in the desert. Canyon villas is in the desert.

BTW, it is my understanding that the sting from the scorpions in Arizona and Ca. is like a really bad bee sting and that a person will live through it.

Depends on the scorpion. If it's black and about 2 inches long as an adult, it's a desert scorpion and barely bears venom. If it's bronze in color, and considerably smaller, it's a bark scorpion. They are imported with palm tree shipments and are common in Las Vegas and Palm Desert. They are quite more venomous, enough to be dangerous to small pets and children and elderly.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on the scorpion. If it's black and about 2 inches long as an adult, it's a desert scorpion and barely bears venom. If it's bronze in color, and considerably smaller, it's a bark scorpion. They are imported with palm tree shipments and are common in Las Vegas and Palm Desert. They are quite more venomous, enough to be dangerous to small pets and children and elderly.

Ours appeared to be bark scorpions.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The manager called us this morning and made a gesture to "make it right" so to speak, in addition to moving us last night. I do give them credit for the gesture. One other note is that we are now in the 2300 building in a dedicated 2BR unit. A few notable differences from our 3100 bldg 2BR lockoff unit:

So what was the additional gesture?

- The kitchen sink counter/island is split level in the lockoff, with a much higher bar height section. In the dedicated 2BR, it is all the same height
- The second bedroom in the lockoff has a king w/ queen sleeper rather than two queens in the dedicated. The dedicated is missing the small table with two chairs for dining that the lockoff has. But that also creates the feeling of more space in the unit.

This seems to be the standard in the Marriott system. Studio side of a lock off almost always (or always) has a king and a sleeper and usually a small place to dine. Ocean Point is like this with a small round table in the corner with two chairs.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is a scorpion like a spider?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Is a scorpion like a spider?

Yes they're in the same class
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnid

I've lived in Vegas for about 15 years. I've only seen one wild scorpion.

Bark scorpions are very small and light brown/ tan. They are dangerous. The black/dark brown ones are not dangerous but they can sting.

They cannot be treated by normal pest control and can actually be made worse by spraying. They have to be hunted, individually at night with a black light flashlight. It's best to just keep things clean and don't let piles of leaves or wood etc pile up undisturbed. They don't want to mess with you so if you just make things inhospitable they're less likely to invade.

The bark scorpions here in Vegas are not native and seem to be mostly a result of imported landscaping materials so the scorpions are more common in the newer developments

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score

:eek:

When my folks lived in Texas, they had a big scorpion problem. They used a electric scorpion zapper. My stepmother would sit in her recliner all day long and periodically there would be a loud zapping sound and she would have gotten another. It was rather unnerving. The pests would often be hanging from the ceiling.

But the zapper would not be a good idea with young children around.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wondered if diatomaceous earth would get rid of them. A google search showed that it does. I use it for other pests such as roaches and spiders. It does not harm pets. It does take a long time, though. So, if you have them in your timeshare and you sprinkle diatomaceous earth around, you probably won't benefit from it, but the people arriving the next week would.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Mexico, they live in thatched roofs (ceilings) I have a blacklight flashlight that causes them to fluoresce (shine). It also shows (ahem) dried bodily fluids on bedspreads and rugs. (I need not say more, I hope) We had them in Vietnam in our hootches. Had to shake out boots before we put them on. Something I can do without.