• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can't use our Newport Coast trade, so now what?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter who is studying in Florence for the fall semester returns to the states (Dulles airport) precisely when our exchange Dec. 15 into the Newport Coast begins. So, we're thinking about redepositing it into II. What happens; our original deposit was our MGV gold 1 bedroom locked off.

We're thinking about trying for Jan 07 when both girls are in college and home for extended Christmas breaks and heading to Newport Coast at that time.

HELP; I'm clueless about what II will do with me!

Thanks in advance! Love you Tuggers!

Bill4728

Reaction score
When you must cancel a exchange, the week which you had exchanged for is gone. You will recieve from II, a replacement week good for one year after the date of the cancellation. It should have similar trading power as the MGV week you started with.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree.

However, cancel the exchange as soon as practical. If you cancel too close to your exchange check-in date, your timing may have an adverse impact on your trade power for that replacement week.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, so if I turn it in tomorrow, I will have until August 18, 2007 to trade for something else. Is that right?

Then if I want the Newport Coast in January 2008 will this be viable (just date-wise)? E.g. I turn in the Dec. 06 Newport Coast this week and say I put in for the same resort for Jan 08. Am I making sense?

Thanks,

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.intervalworld.com/pdf/iw...arch="cancel exchange site:intervalworld.com"

Per Page 8, Paragraph 8(c), travel must occur within 12 months of the date of cancellation. IIUC, this would mean travel must occur by ~8/18/07 if you cancel tomorrow. I would suggest reviewing the other T&C's regarding your prospective action and subsequent useage to determine the best strategy.

FWIW, NCV is easy to get into during this time of year, so no worries. Personally, I enjoy SoCal during winter...

Happy travels!

Pat

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about exactly when you want to travel. I was thinking that you meant January of 2007.

If this is the case, don't cancel the exchange. Ask instead for a re-trade into the new week you want and pay the Marriott exchange fee ($89). The only hitch is that you have to trade into something in inventory.

There are weeks all during the month of January at NCV sitting there right now.

One last thing. With a cancellation, you are charged the normal exchange fee on future trades with the cancellation replacement week.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

You are not confused. We want to go to Newport in Jan 08. Life is too crazy with everyone's schedules not synching up at the same time for vacations, that we thought we'd wait until both girls are in college (currently one is in HS). So I don't know if I can request or exchange now as it's +12 months.

Thanks,

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No, you won't find any Newport inventory for January, 2008 this far in advance.

Your choices are to cancel and immediately accept a week that is now in inventory or take a replacement week instead, with the one-year limitation on making and using an exchange.

Or....

Keep your current exchange and have your daughter join you in California.

Last edited: