• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

can't decide - replacing vertical blinds

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
we need to replace our cloth vertical blinds. they are 20 years old.
WE will buy vinyl (so visiting dogs can't chew them up).
Here is the problem:
new sets are apparently one inch longer than the ones we have
1) so we can use the same headrail, buy three sets, and have them cut. Of course, if just one place on the headrail doesn't work, this way won't work.
2)We can buy an entire new set, new headrail, try to install it correctly about one inch higher than the previous set. this is actually cheaper than the replacement slats. Clerk at store said new headrail is probably not as good as old headrail.
big problem is we can't seem to do supposedly easy chores without something going wrong. don't want them falling off the wall or whatever.

a pretty boring toopic, but anyone have experience with this. :zzz:

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're total klutzes who can't really do anything around the house and have the same kind of luck you do--if something can go wrong, it will.

With that in mind, I would buy everything entirely new, new slats, new headrails, new everything, and I would let the store do all the measuring and all the installation.

I've found when I try to do things like save a headrail, it's counterproductive because somehow the new elements won't fit and either they have to be cobbled on (leading to years of aggravation) or I have to go back and buy the piece I didn't buy to begin with, only now it's back ordered...and on and on.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
kind of what I was thinking, if something could possibly go wrong, it will.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you spread the cost of professional installation over twenty years, its a minor item. Besides, if you do that, they will come out and measure beforehand to make sure everything is sized right.

Alternately, if you know of a good handyman, and know how to measure, you could go that route. We aren't real handy, but we found the greatest handyman in the world, and we use him for many things.

Fern

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
we need to replace our cloth vertical blinds. they are 20 years old.
WE will buy vinyl (so visiting dogs can't chew them up).
Here is the problem:
new sets are apparently one inch longer than the ones we have
1) so we can use the same headrail, buy three sets, and have them cut. Of course, if just one place on the headrail doesn't work, this way won't work.
2)We can buy an entire new set, new headrail, try to install it correctly about one inch higher than the previous set. this is actually cheaper than the replacement slats. Clerk at store said new headrail is probably not as good as old headrail.
big problem is we can't seem to do supposedly easy chores without something going wrong. don't want them falling off the wall or whatever.

a pretty boring topic, but anyone have experience with this. :zzz:

My experience with vinyl vertical blinds is that I hated them. They came with the house when we bought it and I lived with them for about 13 years before we could afford to replace them. They were easy to clean and that is about the only positive thing I can say about them. Some of them fell off--the holes where they attached to the rail would break. A determined or unattended dog can chew through them--or pull them off. They rattled when a breeze came through the open window. I sometimes would pull them all to one side of the window and put a rubber band around the bottom to keep them quiet.

We finally replaced them with expensive custom drapery. My son's dog shredded the sheers. Dust settles into cloth more than on hard surfaces. They are expensive to have cleaned. I am now seriously thinking of having the drapery replaced with wooden plantation shutters because they are easy to dust and look much nicer than verticals, IMO.

Good luck with your choice.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
we have the vinyl verticals in Florida and they do make a lot of noise. But these cloth verticals are covered with cat hair and also some visiting dog must have chewed on them. We won't be here in twenty years, realized that when we had a new roof put on and it would be our last roof.
It is a slider, so I have to have something that will open to the side. By uyin a cheap set I am taking chances on those slats falling out etc.