• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancun Timeshares with Friday Check-in?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Hi, I am planning a family vacation in Mexico and we already bought the tickets to Cancun for 10 nights Fri-Mon in March 2016. I am looking for the advice on timeshare rental.

The priority is a great beach. I read that Riviera Maya beaches are not that great, and Cancun beaches are much better. Is this true, or are there any Riviera Maya timeshares on really great beaches as well?

Also, I need a Fri-Fri or Mon-Mon week because of the ticket dates, but most timeshare rentals I see are Sat-Sat. Are there any Fri-Fri or Mon-Mon timeshares which are on a truly fantastic white sand calm turquoise water swimmable beach without rocks and do not require mandatory AI fees? I know Westin Lagunamar allows Fri-Fri, but are there any others?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lagunamar does not have calm waters as it is on the long leg of the "7"

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning a family vacation in Mexico and we already bought the tickets to Cancun for 10 nights Fri-Mon in March 2016. I am looking for the advice on timeshare rental.

The priority is a great beach. I read that Riviera Maya beaches are not that great, and Cancun beaches are much better. Is this true, or are there any Riviera Maya timeshares on really great beaches as well?

Also, I need a Fri-Fri or Mon-Mon week because of the ticket dates, but most timeshare rentals I see are Sat-Sat. Are there any Fri-Fri or Mon-Mon timeshares which are on a truly fantastic white sand calm turquoise water swimmable beach without rocks and do not require mandatory AI fees? I know Westin Lagunamar allows Fri-Fri, but are there any others?

The Mayan resorts have "OK" beaches (well the sand is OK, it's the getting into the water part).

Further south, in Playa is a nice public beach. In Playacar (next to PDC), are nice beaches as well, but most timeshares there are AI mandatory, so from a timeshare perspective not very good, IMO.

There may be NON-AI in Playacar, I just don't see any that I have access to (RCI via HGVC or SFX). II may have some.

Or rent a house/condo in Playa del Carmen if you don't need/want the resort feel.

Nothing wrong with Cancun either, but also a lot of timeshares there are AI as well. Although I think the Club Regina is NON AI, (at the end of the "7" as well), and not sure about Fiesta Americana. It didn't used to be AI, but I thought I read somewhere that it requires AI now.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Thanks for the info. Looks like TS situation in Cancun is complicated, and more expensive that I thought, like I will not be able to rent a nice week for $700 as it appeared possible initially, and it may be better just to get an AI hotel from a travel agency than trying to rent a TS in our situation.

buceo

Reaction score
One combination:
Rent a Sat-Sat week at either the Royal Caribbean or Islander in Cancun, no AI. The Lock off will be $700 or less for the week in the winter, finding a larger unit for that price would be a great find. Then the odd nights you can get a room next door at the Emporio, you'd have to do some moving.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The Mayan properties (Playa del Carmen area) have Friday check in and non-AI but the beach is rock going in.

Another one is Villa del Palmar Cancun with Friday check in with calm water but it is not in the hotel zone but north of the hotel zone.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Mayan properties (Playa del Carmen area) have Friday check in and non-AI but the beach is rock going in.

Another one is Villa del Palmar Cancun with Friday check in with calm water but it is not in the hotel zone but north of the hotel zone.

Villa del Palmar is in a very remote area of Cancun--near Puerto Juarez. We own at the Royal Sands but we traded into VDP a few years ago. It was too isolated for us and were always rent a car. IMHO I did not like the resort.

celperf

TUG Member
Reaction score
The mayan palace and grand mayan have Friday check in and the beach has been restored, before was bad but they have fix this

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Cancun Friday check in

Last Feb we stayed At Club Regina . It is not AI - We traded in thru RCI .Check in is Sunday to Sunday but we were able to add a day at either end with the on site reservation staff by calling to them directly. It was in pesos but worked out to USD $ 175 per night for the extra days. This was for the suite with full
separate bedroom & the hot tub on the" porch" room. Club Regina is on the same property as the Westin so worst case you could book extra nights there and walk across the parking lot
The RCI trade was 15 or 16 TPU plus RCI fee

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We have been at Lagunamar since 9/18 and the ocean has been calm until yesterday and today. Excellent resort, but I am unsure how much per day to stay here as we used our StarOptions for booking.