• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancelling HGVC Membership

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
HUH?

The only way to "cancel" membership is to sell or transfer the
ownership of the TS on which the membership is based. When
it happens, there's nothing in the account to "refund" except
points. HGVC asks which year the buyer's use begins and starts
the buyer's account with that year.

But nothing stops a seller and buyer from pro-rating the use of
points between themselves... makes perfect sense to me.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Maybe she's talking about undoing an affiliate ownership. :shrug:

Kathleen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Talent312 and Chriskre,

I was very careful to address the post to those who May not know.

If folks are considering selling, they may not wish to pay HGVC membership if there is no prorated refund.

Kathleen

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With all due respect, Kathleen, your reference to "cancelling a memberhip" was confusing.

What some "may not know" and what you did not explain is that HGVC is not a membership that one either joins or cancels, as if it were a AAA membership. Buying a TS is akin to buying a house or getting married. There is no "cancelling." You are in it for the long-haul. The only "refund" comes when you sell or get divorced... at that point, the settlement controls how much you "get back."

Edited to Add: ... If you are talking about an annual participation at an affiliate: Yes, you may join and elect to participate, and the activation fee is non-refundable, but its for an indefinite period of time (as long as you own the TS), so there is still nothing to be refunded.

Last edited:

Steve

Reaction score
With all due respect, Kathleen, your reference to "cancelling a memberhip" made no sense and was confusing.

What some "may not know" and what you did not explain is that HGVC is not a membership that one either joins or cancels, as if it were a AAA membership. Buying a TS is akin to buying a house or getting married. There is no "cancelling." You are in it for the long-haul. The only "refund" comes when you sell or get divorced... at that point, the settlement controls how much you "get back."

Talent,

If you own at an affiliate resort, you can indeed join and cancel HGVC at will. For example, when I purchased my Hurricane House week I did not join HGVC at first. Later, I decided to join. A couple years after that, I decided not to renew my HGVC membership when it came due. I could also have canceled it at anytime but, as Kathleen stated in her post, HGVC would not have given me a prorated refund...unlike II which does give prorated refunds when members cancel.

Steve

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you own at an affiliate resort, you can indeed join and cancel HGVC at will... I could also have canceled it at anytime but, as Kathleen stated in her post, HGVC would not have given me a prorated refund...

Sorry, but even for an affiliate, what might one think would be refunded?
Activation fees are good indefinitely (as long as you own the TS), not time-limited.
How can that be pro-rated?

Should it be like a tread warranty on a tire... It blows in year 2 and you get 50% back?

Last edited:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Hello All,

FYI for those who may not know, if you cancel your membership there is no prorated refund.

Kathleen

Bah, I was hoping to get $18.45 back after selling a unit in October.

Steve

Reaction score
With my moderator hat on...

Kathleen, I believe, was trying to be helpful. If you don't find her post helpful, then just ignore it. There is no need to be snide.

Steve

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch

Kathleen, I believe, was trying to be helpful. If you don't find her post helpful, then just ignore it. There is no need to be snide.

Steve

If we're eliminating snide comments half the TUG would disappear overnight.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If we're eliminating snide comments half the TUG would disappear overnight.

I find that a little levity is a good thing. Even if its a bit sarcastic.
I (and perhaps a few others) tend to take this stuff too seriously.

glwrenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
News to me

Talent,

If you own at an affiliate resort, you can indeed join and cancel HGVC at will. For example, when I purchased my Hurricane House week I did not join HGVC at first. Later, I decided to join. A couple years after that, I decided not to renew my HGVC membership when it came due. I could also have canceled it at anytime but, as Kathleen stated in her post, HGVC would not have given me a prorated refund...unlike II which does give prorated refunds when members cancel.

Steve

Interesting. I thought that once I elected to include my affiliate in HGVC, it was a one-time election for as long as you owned. Nice to know I have options. Thanks Steve.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
$99 per yer for our Hilton membership

We own at Marbrisa (an affiliate) and pay $99 per year for our HGVC dues. We also purchased a resale (also at Marbrisa) unit and paid to have it "join" HGVC. Yes, we paid something like $950 or so as a 1 time fee. The $99 we pay annually is for both (actually 3) affiliate units to be part of HGVC.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Steve

This thread will scroll off in a few days and nobody searches beyond page one because the same questions always get asked. This type of info is better suited to one of the stickys.