• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canceled DirectTV

geekette

Reaction score
I looked at cutting the cable, and using the internet only for my entertainment, but those various services all cost money.. netflix, amazon, hulu, hbo etc are all paid subscription services and together they can add up to a lot, I didnt see a big savings, and as long as I can afford it, I want to see Scandal and Madam Secretary as soon as they air the first time.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to me that cutting tv service is helpful when all these other things are added in to replace. I went from Comcast to DirectV recently so I have free DVR now and won't be a buyer of all these other streaming services.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
If it weren't for Football and Fox News Channel my husband would probably agree to get rid of Directv.

Same problem here. I can get local and national news channels with Roku, but I can't figure out a way to get Fox News or Fox Business channel without either a satellite or cable subscription. All I can find are Roku apps that say they will offer little snippets of Fox programming, but not the full live broadcast.

If anyone is able to get Fox News and Fox Business channel on a Roku or similar device, please share how you do it and I will cancel DirectTV the following day.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Speaking of Roku, I brought my Streaming Stick along for the winter stay in Steamboat. Unfortunately to use it, I should have updated the software (of the brand new unit:rolleyes:) before I left my home network since it won't connect to another network unless the software had been updated. Nothing in the box said that was necessary and I found out by contacting Roku Support when it wouldn't connect.

It will connect after you update but you have to connect to update. Catch 22;)

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. I can get local and national news channels with Roku, but I can't figure out a way to get Fox News or Fox Business channel without either a satellite or cable subscription. All I can find are Roku apps that say they will offer little snippets of Fox programming, but not the full live broadcast.

If anyone is able to get Fox News and Fox Business channel on a Roku or similar device, please share how you do it and I will cancel DirectTV the following day.

YEAH! And I want to see the plane crashes on CNN, and HGTV and the Jailhouse and Caught on Camera shows on MSNBC too. How can we see all the dirt on 'the other side' without paying some cable or satellite outfit??? I get tired of all that 'mamby-pamby' crap from the wrong side on broadcast PBS or NBC or CBS. I want all the red meat, and I WANT IT FREE!!!!

Jim

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it weren't for the fact that I have such terrible reception and I can't really get the local channels, I would cancel - stream or use DVD's.

Still, while neither Direct TV nor Dish posts it on their web site, they both have "Family" plans. For Direct TV, it costs $29 per month and includes the local channels. You get just a few fairly junkie channels, but then again, there is very little in their 100, 200, 350 channel line up that I care to see, so I look upon it as the cost for local TV in an area with terrible reception.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I was at my co-workers house in near Raleigh, NC last week. He has completely cut the cord for internet and phone, but still needs his internet service, which is about $50/month. Here is what he did, which sounds great. Since he lives very close to Raleigh, he gets a ton of channels over the air (OTA) via HD antenna. He has the HD antenna connected to his main distro unit in the house, so all TV's are getting the service. He then purchased a TiVo OTA box, which also provides him with full DVR functionality. He is also considering getting the Sling service for $20 per month because they do miss a few shows that they'd be able to get if they had Sling.

For phone, he went with Ooma. I also have Ooma, which works great and is about $4/month for me.

BTW, he said the TiVo OTA box is normally about $100, then $10/month for the service. He purchased his TiVo OTA box during a semi-annual sale, or something like that, where they offer the unit for one time purchase with no annual fee. He paid $300 for the unit.