• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel timeshare presentaion agreement

KathySGA

Reaction score
I agreed to a Holiday Inn Vacations timeshare presentation. I asked where we’d stay and was assured we could have a basic suite with a couch. It turns out the room is a run of the mill Standard Room. I’m handicapped and will be very uncomfortable in a room with no couch. I live in GA and the presentation is in Orlando, FL. Do I have any legal recourse to rescind my agreement to attend the presentation?

rjwehr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside @Granby Ranch,
Landmark Holiday Beach-PCB,
Inverness @ New Braunfels
I think there is some nuance about your question that I don't understand. What would happen if you didn't show up? Did you sign some kind of legal document? Did you pay a reservation fee and want to recoup that? Are you just trying to be polite about not attending? etc.

Generally speaking, Rule 1 to timeshare ownership is not to purchase from the timeshare developer... you want to buy from someone who bought from the developer and no longer wants it. So you may have inadvertently saved yourself from a potential financial mistake.

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. I'm not sure what your handicap/disability is, but you may want to contact the hotel and let them know you require an ADA accessible room with a couch. My guess is there is an easy fix to the problem you are describing.
2. If there is not an easy fix, we need to know more about the agreement you want to rescind. Did you pay money for this package? Are you okay with forfeiting that money if they refuse to refund it? Did you sign any agreement that imposes any other obligations other than you paid for the package and have to attend the presentation, meaning did you sign some agreement to buy a timeshare? Sounds like you did not, but that needs to be known.
3. If you have no further obligation other than to show up or forfeit your money, then obviously you don't need to show up. And if you do show up, do not under any circumstances sign any contract to buy anything, whatsoever. Ask them when they arrive how long you have to stay, and keep an eye on your watch. When the time comes, say "thank you, it's time, have a nice day," and leave. Personally, I always have nice conversations in timeshare presentations, but you sound like you might be at risk of getting swindled, coaxed, and prodded into signing something you might regret. Please don't.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holiday inn Vacation constantly runs a promotion for a stay with a mandatory promotion. Likely this is what OP bought. You prepay for the trip (usually around $200 for 4 days). Cancelling it will mean forfeiting the payment.
The problem for the OP is that the room may actually be ADA accessible without a couch.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps @KathySGA can call the desk where the lodging is for this presentation and clarify exactly what ADA accommodations are provided, and then decide if it fits her needs.
A personal aside, both my wife and I are more comfortable with at least some ADA accommodations. We have found that in timeshares, making these requests in advance makes it more comfortable both for us and for the hotel/TS.

Jim

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holiday inn Vacation constantly runs a promotion for a stay with a mandatory promotion. Likely this is what OP bought. You prepay for the trip (usually around $200 for 4 days). Cancelling it will mean forfeiting the payment.
The problem for the OP is that the room may actually be ADA accessible without a couch.
Apologies, I meant to say with a mandatory " presentation".

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
On similar note, I purchased a 3 night package with Hilton Grand Vacations for Vegas, but now my wife is refusing to attend the presentation. I ended up canceling that reservation and we handled that trip with free night certs at a hotel. I have until the end of year to use the promotion, and will either convince my wife to go or just eat the purchase price and move on...

KathySGA

Reaction score
I agreed to a Holiday Inn Vacations timeshare presentation. I asked where we’d stay and was assured we could have a basic suite with a couch. It turns out the room is a run of the mill Standard Room. I’m handicapped and will be very uncomfortable in a room with no couch. I live in GA and the presentation is in Orlando, FL. Do I have any legal recourse to rescind my agreement to attend the presentation?
Edit: In reading more about timeshare presentation agreements, I discovered that my paying $199 for a 4 day stay with a requirement to attend the presentation might qualify as contractual transaction. So I called Holiday Inn Vacations and very specifically asserted my legal “right to rescind” my agreement. They said they’d cancel the stay and refund my $199. I asked for that in writing via email and they complied. My credit card company told me since I have the email, if the company doesn’t refund me they’ll do a chargeback. Yay!!

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Edit: In reading more about timeshare presentation agreements, I discovered that my paying $199 for a 4 day stay with a requirement to attend the presentation might qualify as contractual transaction. So I called Holiday Inn Vacations and very specifically asserted my legal “right to rescind” my agreement. They said they’d cancel the stay and refund my $199. I asked for that in writing via email and they complied. My credit card company told me since I have the email, if the company doesn’t refund me they’ll do a chargeback. Yay!!
Well played!

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
@KathySGA Was there a specified rescinding period in the confirmation you got? Rescinding period are usually specified and not open ended. When did you buy this package?

KathySGA

Reaction score
@KathySGA Was there a specified rescinding period in the confirmation you got? Rescinding period are usually specified and not open ended. When did you buy this package?
I never received the actual contract, just a confirmation of payment. I bought the package the day before my original post, then began trying to cancel that afternoon. I was successful the next day.
I discovered there’s a 10 day period in FL during which you can rescind the purchase of a vacation club package.
In my calls to the Holiday Inn Vacation Club, they treated my purchase as contractual so I used that to invoke my right cancel my “contract”.
I asked for and received an email confirming the cancellation and their agreement to refund the charge.