• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel - Rebook Delayed

happyhopian

Reaction score
I read a post a while back which said there had been some changes in the last quarter regarding the ressy system. One of them said there were delays in returning inventory to the system. Before doing any cancel rebooks of my own I went online to test.

Since last night I have booked and cancelled 10 times on different resorts. In each case I waited 30 minutes after booking to cancel and then look for the unit to return to inventory. Never did the inventory immediately return as it has in the past. In 2 instances it took about 10 minutes. In 3 they simply never came back though they might come back today and in 3 others it was about 20-30 minutes and in 2 the took over 30 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else developed a pattern?

This is a real problem. There are very legitimate reasons for c/b. For example I have a three night stay on a split with four night behind it. I only need five nights which means I need to CB the first and rebook two night of the three so I can free up the single night - book it and then cancel the two. This is the convoluted way in which owner care requires it to be done (though one would expect if I am holding the ressy they would simply adjust it for me but alas never have they agreed).

Thoughts, lessons learned, hints,

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I haven't done enough rebooking in the last month or so to be able to detect a pattern. It's too small a sample and too random -- 1-2 minutes but sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes after I'd given up on it.

What I can say is that it used to be that a cancelled reservation reappeared in 20-30 seconds. If not, then it might reappear 15 minutes after cancellation. If you didn't see it 15 minutes after cancellation, it was probably gone.

It's not at all predictable now.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read a post a while back which said there had been some changes in the last quarter regarding the ressy system. One of them said there were delays in returning inventory to the system. Before doing and cancel rebooks of my own I went online to test. Since last night I have booked and cancelled 10 times. In each case I waiting 30 minutes after booking to cancel and then look for the unit to return to inventory. In 2 instances it took longer than 10 minutes. In five they simply never came back and in 3 others it was more than an hour. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else developed a pattern?

Others have reported better success calling these in and having a VC do it for them, but I am still doing it myself. Doing these things when the call center is closed takes a large part of the competition out of the mix and gives me a better chance of success. At least thats the theory Im operating under.

I just did a number of these for real...not a test, I cancelled and rebooked, cancelled and upgraded, and then rebooked again. It took up to two minutes for for the cancelled reservations to come back but they all did and I now have 2 studios, 2 one bedrooms and a two bedroom all done at half the studio price, Im a happy camper

happyhopian

Reaction score
Others have reported better success calling these in and having a VC do it for them, but I am still doing it myself. Doing these things when the call center is closed takes a large part of the competition out of the mix and gives me a better chance of success. At least thats the theory Im operating under.

I just did a number of these for real...not a test, I cancelled and rebooked, cancelled and upgraded, and then rebooked again. It took up to two minutes for for the cancelled reservations to come back but they all did and I now have 2 studios, 2 one bedrooms and a two bedroom all done at half the studio price, Im a happy camper

Ron I am sure you did these in NOLA (correct me please), interesting that it could be based on the property. I tested Bonnet and Smokey.

I'm going to call in with a rep today and do two CB's and see how long it takes for them to appear on their end too.

Curious why this would be implemented and there has to be a pattern. Sql processes rarely operated with a randomization script.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Just did it again, Smokey and it took 5 minutes to come back.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sneaky computer system.

Cookies. Activity timers. Bots. Call Agent priorities different. Use year adjustments (both the "big" one and this recent little one .. cancel points return to original Use Year).

And my favorite ... losing points if cancelled inside the 14 days checkin window or all overlapping reservations without Guest Certificates if same name ... I need to ADD my siblings to my member ID (or do co-owners count as 2 different checkin people or ONE?)

Reaction score
I'm glad this topic has come up. I am wondering about how long does it take for points to come back to your account once you cancel a reservation online. Is it usually instant or not? If not, what's been your experiences with this? I know they will come back as regular points now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I'm glad this topic has come up. I am wondering about how long does it take for points to come back to your account once you cancel a reservation online. Is it usually instant or not? If not, what's been your experiences with this? I know they will come back as regular points now.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's instant, although the totals on the "Points Status" page in your account won't update until the next day.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Ok I did another test with a VC while I cancelled the unit, they saw it back in inventory within 10-15 seconds. We stayed on the phone for 10 minutes and it was still never visible on my end. He was unaware that there was any time delay difference. Can anyone else stipulate as to when this might have started? Has it been in just the last few weeks or is this something that started months back? I haven't been doing a lot of booking over the last few months but I do cancel / book a lot to get last minute units and piece together many split ressies to make things work out for my personal use. This is going to definitely complicate that.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am too nervous to try Cancel and Rebook in situations where there is NO currently inventory, especially if the united Is NEEDED.

I was looking for a single night in Ft Lauderdale areas for January, which there was NO inventory. I found a single day at a different resort, so I booked that at 1/2 off and then cancelled and tried to rebook the original booking. Because I had a backup I tried, otherwise I wouldn't have even attempted it.

It look about 15 minutes for the unit to finally pop back up in Inventory. I booked it too, and now am letting my niece decide if she want a 1 BR Santa Barbara (near the beach, my recommendation, large 1 BR with 2 bathrooms) or a 2 BR Palm Aire (bigger number of bedrooms, but not bigger unit).

I personally am too chicken to try, if I know I need the unit. I will attempt it if it is not a hard requirement and I have some flexibility.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The SB 1bdr sleeps 6 with 2 full bathrooms ...
King in MBR plus a sleep sofa (the NEW improved almost a bed sleep sofa)
Plus the LR new & improve Sleep sofa.

PA is not a good place for singles (anyone without kids and a CAR!) ... was there days before Thanksgiving ... lead the 4 singles with no car group at the 1 and ONLY Tiki bar ... the 5 bar stool Tiki bar .... for a resort with almost 400 rooms ..mostly 2/2 units. And Walmart might be in the shopping center across the street ... but walking there is a HIGH RISK adventure to be done during BRIGHT DAYLIGHT ONLY. Shuttle to the BEACH ... 24 hr in advance sign up for a total of 6 seats ... 1 trip to BEACH (9:30AM) and one trip back from RV at (2:30PM).

PS NO FOOD at PA ... unless the totally empty and void of equipment small store (smaller than all bedrooms anywhere) sudden GOT refrigerator, shelving and countertops plus employed and trained the help at all who has shops (SB,RV and PA ..not thing at SB ever) since November 28 ... the SG store was gutted to the ceiling rafters and RV was not much better ... PS NO activity was happening all of THK'ing week BEFORE Thursday ... :ignore:

SB is MUCH, MUCH better ... for food and adventures ...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The SB 1bdr sleeps 6 with 2 full bathrooms ...
King in MBR plus a sleep sofa (the NEW improved almost a bed sleep sofa)
Plus the LR new & improve Sleep sofa.

PA is not a good place for singles (anyone without kids and a CAR!) ... was there days before Thanksgiving ... lead the 4 singles with no car group at the 1 and ONLY Tiki bar ... the 5 bar stool Tiki bar .... for a resort with almost 400 rooms ..mostly 2/2 units. And Walmart might be in the shopping center across the street ... but walking there is a HIGH RISK adventure to be done during BRIGHT DAYLIGHT ONLY. Shuttle to the BEACH ... 24 hr in advance sign up for a total of 6 seats ... 1 trip to BEACH (9:30AM) and one trip back from RV at (2:30PM).

PS NO FOOD at PA ... unless the totally empty and void of equipment small store (smaller than all bedrooms anywhere) sudden GOT refrigerator, shelving and countertops plus employed and trained the help at all who has shops (SB,RV and PA ..not thing at SB ever) since November 28 ... the SG store was gutted to the ceiling rafters and RV was not much better ... PS NO activity was happening all of THK'ing week BEFORE Thursday ... :ignore:

SB is MUCH, MUCH better ... for food and adventures ...

Agreed, that was my recommendations TOO.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I changed my mind

I had a bunch of cancel/ rebook and upgrades to do this week on some high value reservations. and followed my usual practice of doing it myself when the call center is closed. Over the last few days, I lost 3 and got one done, and that one took 30 minute to come back. So today I called. We lost one but got 24 done. successfully

I wont be doing it myself any more.