• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel and rebook reservation?

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I am going to the Grand Islander in less than 2 weeks in a 2bdrm Plus (partial Oceanview). A 2bdrm resort view popped up today for less points. 3,360 savings which is like a 3-4 nights trip to Carlsbad. HGVC says you cannot downgrade within 30 days and I did buy cancellation insurance. The customer service representative did say I can cancel and rebook for reservation fee $69 online.

If you have cancelled a reservation, do the points appear in your account immediately for rebooking? I forgot to ask on my phone call. Would you cancel and rebook?

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Even LT 30 days, you can reduce points w/o using "protection" or paying more fees.
You simply move the booking to more than 30 days out (changing resorts if necessary).
Then move it back to where you want to go, and you won't be subject to any penalty.
But you must use the same calendar year. So year-end bookings are still problematic.

The points reappear not instantly, but quickly, withing a few minutes.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The customer service representative did say I can cancel and rebook for reservation fee $69 online.
If you cancel your existing reservation, you will be hit with the point penalty since you are less than 30 days out. I believe the service rep was wrong in this case.

Kurt

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I do not believe there is a point hit if she paid to insure the points.

If you cancel your existing reservation, you will be hit with the point penalty since you are less than 30 days out. I believe the service rep was wrong in this case.

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The "insurance" avoids the point-penalty but not the rebooking fee.
Using Change to move the booking MT 30 days out avoids both.

Last year, I wanted to reduce a November booking LT 30 days away.
I moved it to December late December. Moved it back for less points.
Then made an entirely new booking with the points I saved.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Even LT 30 days, you can reduce points w/o using "protection" or paying more fees.
You simply move the booking to more than 30 days out (changing resorts if necessary).
Then move it back to where you want to go, and you won't be subject to any penalty.
Thanks. It worked. I moved my reservation to April and downgraded back to March. The cancellation insurance still carries on my reservation.

emoneybug

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney - Saratoga Springs 365pts (resale)
Good to know

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is precisely what this forum is all about! ;-) Great tips and way to help each other out, Tuggers.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
So... a lot of Japanese cancellations I heard from a staff. I got a free upgrade to partial oceanview. :)

My 5 am wake up call. My baby didn't adjust to Hawaii time.

Attachments

• 20200308_144347.jpg
    20200308_144347.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200309_060551.jpg
    20200309_060551.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 42

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Thanks. It worked. I moved my reservation to April and downgraded back to March. The cancellation insurance still carries on my reservation.
You may have got lucky. I wanted to do something like that and called the Club help desk and was told there was a risk the reservation I wanted could be scooped up by someone else in the time it took to make the new booking.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I wanted to do something like that and called the Club help desk and was told there was a risk the reservation I wanted could be scooped up by someone else in the time it took to make the new booking.

This is why you verify that the dates you want are available, before you release yours.
IOW, that you could make the booking you want, and all you need are the points.
One CSR actually talked one of our posters thru this, to help him avoid the penalty.

audirt

Reaction score
The "insurance" avoids the point-penalty but not the rebooking fee.
Using Change to move the booking MT 30 days out avoids both.

Last year, I wanted to reduce a November booking LT 30 days away.
I moved it to December late December. Moved it back for less points.
Then made an entirely new booking with the points I saved.

I have a reservation at NYC Midtown in about 17 days. By your logic, I can move the reservation to a date +30 days, then cancel the modified reservation without losing points?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Eggsactly.
I suggest that you confirm the new dates, log out, and start a new session to cancel.
Logging out and reloading may not be necessary. I just think it's cleaner that way.

audirt

Reaction score
Eggsactly.
I suggest that you confirm the new dates, log out, and start a new session to cancel.
Logging out and reloading may not be necessary. I just think it's cleaner that way.

Holy cow! If this works, I will seriously be in your debt.

audirt

Reaction score
FWIW, someone in a different thread reported that phone reps are cancelling reservations without penalty and without the restrictions given on the HGV website (i.e. travel to/from Japan, South Korea, and Italy).