• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian stop paying for Florida Timeshare

JCAM7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Hello! I've searched the forum for posts about this but many are old 2015 & 2020. Based on what I've read, we stopped paying for both the loan & maintenance fees of my Dad's last contract with Wyndham. It's been about 6 months of them calling every day or multiple times a day. I also sent official paperwork in back in April indicating we want out & we're not paying anymore based on a thread I found in here.

I am now getting calls from a human being from Wyndham. I'm wondering if I should answer & offer deedback in lieu of foreclosure? Or would I be resetting the timeclock as I've seen other posts?

My Dad bought in 3 times. Had over 500,000 points. Paid 2 contracts off. Financed the last at 17%!!! And has run out of money to afford these. They front loaded the interest. Up until now, he paid everything he was supposed to. We enjoyed 7 years of nice vacations at Bonnet Creek but the timeshare cost was never worth it, especially once you add maintenance fees!

Also to the tally person - what are the numbers now for defaulting. Still 0 for ?? 8

Thanks so much! You guys are awesome!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@JCAM7
You might want to talk with a Canadian legal professional and ask if your dad is 'judgement proof'. I honestly don't know the mechanics of cross-border financial transactions. Obviously the collateral for the loan is the timeshare, and it appears he is willing to let it go. Eventually, they WILL foreclose. It's unlikely that a bad credit report is going to have much (if any) effect on dad's ability to borrow.

I wouldn't answer any phone calls. At some point there will be some 'official looking' papers outlining when the foreclosure will occur. Then, it'll be a done deal.

Jim

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well youve already stopped paying, the time to ask those questions was likely before that =)

is likely no harm in talking to wyndham to try to work out a surrender instead of waiting for foreclosure.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hello! I've searched the forum for posts about this but many are old 2015 & 2020. Based on what I've read, we stopped paying for both the loan & maintenance fees of my Dad's last contract with Wyndham. It's been about 6 months of them calling every day or multiple times a day

I'm wondering if I should answer & offer deedback in lieu of foreclosure?
Or would I be resetting the timeclock as I've seen other posts?

My Dad bought in 3 times. Had over 500,000 points. Paid 2 contracts off. Financed the last at 17%!!! And has run out of money to afford these. They front loaded the interest. Up until now, he paid everything he was supposed to. We enjoyed 7 years of nice vacations at Bonnet Creek but ..........

Hi @JCAM7
Welcome to TUG . Sorry to hear of your Dad's situation .

Since he bought Wyndham Points there may not be a specific underlying deed
In my opinion the collection would be on the loan balance.
@chapjim may be able to add information.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interest is always “front loaded” on every loan.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
When I had USA debt, business related credit cards, issued by USA banks (had an USA bank account), nothing USA related ever showed on my Canadian credit report. Check his credit report and see if the USA debt is in fact listed.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
Not here in Canada. Maybe always with timeshare though... or always in Florida.
What? Compounding interest compounds. It’s the nature of compounding interest. You necessarily are paying more interest at the beginning of the loan because your balance is higher and more interest is accruing. As the balance decreases over time (in a flat payment system) the ratio of interest to principal changes. That’s not a US or a Canadian thing. That’s just how flat-payment compounding interest loans work.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort; Wyndham Bonnet Creek; Wyndham Bali Hai; Wyndham Canterbury; Wyndham Grand Desert; Marriott Grand Chateau
What? Compounding interest compounds. It’s the nature of compounding interest. You necessarily are paying more interest at the beginning of the loan because your balance is higher and more interest is accruing. As the balance decreases over time (in a flat payment system) the ratio of interest to principal changes. That’s not a US or a Canadian thing. That’s just how flat-payment compounding interest loans work.
I guess if you are overpaying the loan and the servicer applies the overpayment to the next months payment (paying interest) instead of to principal only, that could be where you are getting the misconception from. Other than an overpayment situation though your statement makes no sense.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I guess if you are overpaying the loan and the servicer applies the overpayment to the next months payment (paying interest) instead of to principal only, that could be where you are getting the misconception from. Other than an overpayment situation though your statement makes no sense.
You need to look at a mortgage amortization calculator and put some numbers in to see how it works. The initial payments are alway mostly interest. Just how it works.

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
You need to look at a mortgage amortization calculator and put some numbers in to see how it works. The initial payments are alway mostly interest. Just how it works.
That's just how the math works.

But no prepayment penalty? I hope.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's just how the math works.

But no prepayment penalty? I hope.
Canada has different rules about mortgages. Open and closed. If you take out a closed mortgage then there may be a penalty to refinance or change the terms. These have lower rates than open mortgages.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Hello! I've searched the forum for posts about this but many are old 2015 & 2020. Based on what I've read, we stopped paying for both the loan & maintenance fees of my Dad's last contract with Wyndham. It's been about 6 months of them calling every day or multiple times a day. I also sent official paperwork in back in April indicating we want out & we're not paying anymore based on a thread I found in here.

I am now getting calls from a human being from Wyndham. I'm wondering if I should answer & offer deedback in lieu of foreclosure? Or would I be resetting the timeclock as I've seen other posts?

My Dad bought in 3 times. Had over 500,000 points. Paid 2 contracts off. Financed the last at 17%!!! And has run out of money to afford these. They front loaded the interest. Up until now, he paid everything he was supposed to. We enjoyed 7 years of nice vacations at Bonnet Creek but the timeshare cost was never worth it, especially once you add maintenance fees!

Also to the tally person - what are the numbers now for defaulting. Still 0 for ?? 8

Thanks so much! You guys are awesome!
Don't pay, don't answer or return any contact. It resets things. Block all emails and calls, write return to sender on all mail. Nothing will ever show on your Canadian credit report.

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right, that’s the nature of paying a loan with compounding interest at a flat monthly rate for a set number of years.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi @JCAM7
I would review these posts .

When I had USA debt, business related credit cards, issued by USA banks (had an USA bank account), nothing USA related ever showed on my Canadian credit report. Check his credit report and see if the USA debt is in fact listed.
Don't pay, don't answer or return any contact. It resets things. Block all emails and calls, write return to sender on all mail. Nothing will ever show on your Canadian credit report.

Since your Dad lives in Canada -

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not here in Canada. Maybe always with timeshare though... or always in Florida.
Where did he take out the loan? If he took it out in Canada it will be different than if he took it out in the USA despite his citizenship.
If he took it out in Canada then there is a different default issue isnt there.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Where did he take out the loan? If he took it out in Canada it will be different than if he took it out in the USA despite his citizenship.
If he took it out in Canada then there is a different default issue isnt there.
The timeshare loan was in the US. The OP was complaining that it was front loaded with interest. Others (me included) stated this is how all loans are and they then made the comparison to “not in Canada”. The timeshare loan, if taken with the developer, should not have a prepayment penalty.

e.bram

Reaction score
If a women calls, ask if she is a blonde.If she asks why or says yes or no. Say your father prefers them and you can arrange a meeting. That usually stops the calls. it did for me.

JCAM7

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
They took $35,000 and applied $25,000 to interest and only $10,000 to principal saying he still owes $25000 on the principal. That's what I mean by front loading. My Canadian mortgage doesn't work this way.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Without details of what the loan amount is, when payments were made, was the $35,000 paid in a lump sum, what was the loan term. We really can’t make any assessments as to what you are talking about. I think there is more confusion about what was paid and how it was applied. In the timeshare world, there is no such thing as a front loaded interest loan. It is just the nature of all loans

Fido Chuckwagon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They took $35,000 and applied $25,000 to interest and only $10,000 to principal saying he still owes $25000 on the principal. That's what I mean by front loading. My Canadian mortgage doesn't work this way.
Did he pay the $35,000 in a lump sump as an attempt to pay off the loan in its entirety or did he just make his normal monthly payments for some number of months and at the end of those number of months had paid a total of $35,000? If it’s the latter, that’s the way loans work, including in Canada. If loans didn’t work that way in Canada then nobody would ever have to pay interest on any loans. Interest gets added to the principal.

If he attempted to lump-sum pay it off though and they did what you said, that’s a bigger issue. There shouldn’t be a prepayment penalty and the company likely did something wrong, having nothing to do with the country that it is in. You could potentially get the loan discharged without defaulting if this is the scenario.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
A "front loaded" loan is better known as an "amortized loan" over X amount of years. No one calls them front loaded. They call them fully amortized mortgage loan over X amount of years unless of course it happens to be a balloon mortgage (and that's a different definition).

JCAM72

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It appears to have worked. I will post a new thread but after following all the advice seen on your forums & ignoring hundreds of calls, they've sent paperwork offering to take back the membership as "collateral in satisfaction of debt". We no longer have a deed as it was traded on 1 of the meetings so they can't do a deed in lieu of.