• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can you sell a portion of your DC Purchase?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's say you bought 4000 points from Marriott that is recorded on the same deed, are you able to sell a portion of the points, i.e. 2000 of the 4000 on the deed or do you have to sell the same block of points you purchased?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Good question.....I would think that since each Beneficial Interest (BI) (representing 250 points) is listed separately on the deed, that you could sell (deed away) just certain BI's and get your deed re-recorded for just the remaining BI's that you would retain. That said, I am far from an attorney, so this is just my layman hunch talking.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yes. One is attached as an example in THIS post.
Odd. I've never seen a deed for a beneficial interest in a trust. There no conveyance of property itself. This seems to be some type of bankruptcy conveyance. Does anyone who's purchased from Marriot have an example of such a deed?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Odd. I've never seen a deed for a beneficial interest in a trust. There no conveyance of property itself. This seems to be some type of bankruptcy conveyance. Does anyone who's purchased from Marriot have an example of such a deed?

I do. It is identical except the Grantor is MORI as opposed to the Bankruptcy Trustee.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't have an electronic copy readily available but it's the same one as the post where it references the numbers of the beneficial interests purchased in the trust.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Same here as the other folks. All Marriott Trust beneficial interests are deeded in this manner. Recorded in Orange County, Florida.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just called Owner Services and they told me all beneficial interest recorded in one deed must be sold that way:shrug:

In other words, if I buy 5000 points in one deed, if I sell them I have to sell all 5000 and not a portion even though the #'s of each beneficial interest is listed separately.

Makes no sense to me because if I had 2 weeks in one deed, you can still sell only one or split the weeks to sell to 2 different people.

Has anyone here sold just a part of their DC points on the deed?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just called Owner Services and they told me all beneficial interest recorded in one deed must be sold that way:shrug:

In other words, if I buy 5000 points in one deed, if I sell them I have to sell all 5000 and not a portion even though the #'s of each beneficial interest is listed separately.

Makes no sense to me because if I had 2 weeks in one deed, you can still sell only one or split the weeks to sell to 2 different people.

That does seem rather like an unreasonable constraint designed to make it as difficult as possible to resell Points you have purchased.
I am sure pleased I don't have this problem myself.
Weeks may not be easy to sell (at anything other than giveaway prices anyway), but at least it is simple to do.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

That makes sense to me only because I know that's how Disney Points work - you can't sell only a portion of the DVC Points that are sold as a single contract. Those owners always suggest that you should break up large amounts into separate contracts for this reason.

I didn't realize you could put more than one Marriott Week on a single deed - our three are all separate deeds including the two that were purchased on the same day.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes sense to me only because I know that's how Disney Points work - you can't sell only a portion of the DVC Points that are sold as a single contract. Those owners always suggest that you should break up large amounts into separate contracts for this reason.

I didn't realize you could put more than one Marriott Week on a single deed - our three are all separate deeds including the two that were purchased on the same day.

Interesting, I didn't know that about Disney. Is Disney similar to Marriott in a sense that they list out each beneficial interest or block of point separately?

What I find weird about the Marriott answer is the deed clearly lists each interest and when you log onto MVCI, the BI # is listed separately. Seems silly that they can't move specific BI to another owner. It's not like HGVC where the deed is a % that is worth x amount of points.

I purchase a week from an owner with 2 weeks on a deed before so I know with weeks it can be done.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that its not able to be done legally, it's just that Marriott's own rules don't allow it. If you were to do it, they would have to find a way to comply, probably. Someone should clarify where in their DC points rules that is listed. I think you will find it is their own internal rule.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Interesting, I didn't know that about Disney. Is Disney similar to Marriott in a sense that they list out each beneficial interest or block of point separately?

What I find weird about the Marriott answer is the deed clearly lists each interest and when you log onto MVCI, the BI # is listed separately. Seems silly that they can't move specific BI to another owner. It's not like HGVC where the deed is a % that is worth x amount of points.

I purchase a week from an owner with 2 weeks on a deed before so I know with weeks it can be done.

It's a good question for the DVC forum - hopefully a DVC Member will come along and explain things to us. :)

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Resales Department and they confirmed you can sell a portion of the BI's recorded on a single deed.

I asked her to reconfirm with someone else and she did. I explained that another person told me that it cannot be done if recorded on the same deed.

The sales department whom I signed the contract with also put it in the email.

I'm hoping maybe a Tugger has sold a portion of their BI's recorded on a single deed before?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, let me get this straight: the Timeshare company representative told you something inaccurate (on first call at least) that favored the developer and made it harder for you to sell your timeshare.

Bet that's never happened before! :hysterical:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got off the phone with Resales Department and they confirmed you can sell a portion of the BI's recorded on a single deed.

I asked her to reconfirm with someone else and she did. I explained that another person told me that it cannot be done if recorded on the same deed.

The sales department whom I signed the contract with also put it in the email.

I'm hoping maybe a Tugger has sold a portion of their BI's recorded on a single deed before?

So let's say you have multiple BI's. You sell only a few.
For a proper chain of title, to avoid confusion later, you may want to think about a redeed as follows:
deed1) from Seaport104 to new buyer BI 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
Deed2) from Seaport104 to Seaport104 BI 5,6,7,8 etc.

But if Marriott is going to give you a huge hassle, then you could still leave the old deed alone but then someone would really have to be on their game to follow the chain of title in future

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The best group to confirm this would be Owner Modifications. I wouldn't count on getting the right answer from a VOA, customer service or even a sales rep.

I see no reason why you can't sell only a few BIs from a single deed. I too would suggest doing the deeds as alexadeparis suggested. This might require you to have to pay two transfer fees to Marriott, but it keeps the chain of title clearer.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The best group to confirm this would be Owner Modifications. I wouldn't count on getting the right answer from a VOA, customer service or even a sales rep.

I see no reason why you can't sell only a few BIs from a single deed. I too would suggest doing the deeds as alexadeparis suggested. This might require you to have to pay two transfer fees to Marriott, but it keeps the chain of title clearer.

Yes, I called owner modifications first and they referred me to resale department since they handle the ROFR process. Made no sense to me either but that's all they kept saying.

I agree with alexandeparis' suggestion and will definitely do that if I come across that road.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

Wow, it's amazing how I cannot get a consistent answer.

Received an email at 9 am indicating all points (BI's) on the deed must be sold

then 20 minutes later, received another email from the same person indicating they are not certain and will need to look into it:wall: