• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can we claim Capital losses for tax purposes for giving away timeshares

sharadbags

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations
I (like many) purchased my time share from the original developer and am just giving it away for almost free. Since this is a loss, can we claim it as capital loss in tax return? Has anyone tried it? Any experiences, pointers?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Not a chance. This has been discussed before and I'm sure others will point out exactly why, but basically a timeshare is not an investment, it is a personal asset. It would be like trying to deduct a loss on an automobile that you purchased new and then sold for a fraction of the new price.

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It seems like it should follow the same rules as all property, especially when the timeshare is deeded and bought as an investment, but it doesn't. What's messed up about this is if there were a capital gain you would definitely owe Federal taxes, lol.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kurt's analogy to a car is good. The timeshare is considered personal property, and you can never claim a loss on the sale of personal property (though, as Bill points out, you would be taxed on the profit if you sold it for a gain).

There are rules for when property is considered an investment for which a loss can be claimed, but I'm pretty sure it's nigh impossible for a timeshare ownership to meet those criteria.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Timeshare, in many cases (if you have a deed), is real property. However, it isn't your primary residence and is considered a second home. Thus a gain is reportable for tax purposes but a loss is not deductible.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Kurt's analogy to a car is good. The timeshare is considered personal property
Sorry, but the analogy is actually a bad one. Most US based timeshares are deeded real property. They are not like a car at all. The better comparison is to a second home.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I believe even if you sold 1 timeshare for a gain (DVC) and 1 timeshare for a lost (Most) you still can not deduct the lost from that gain.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the analogy is actually a bad one. Most US based timeshares are deeded real property. They are not like a car at all. The better comparison is to a second home.
We will have to disagree. Even though a timeshare may be deeded (though many are not), in almost all situations for tax purposes it is treated as personal property. See the TUG advice article on timeshare and taxes.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
You can deduct the loss if the asset was primarily a business/investment asset. The distinction between personal vs real property is irrelevant. For what purpose was the capital deployed? business vs personal use. If you have all the records demonstrating that it was primarily used as a business/investment asset. No personal use of the asset or trading it for anything other than $$, which you would have filed on your past tax returns. Otherwise, good luck.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We will have to disagree. Even though a timeshare may be deeded (though many are not), in almost all situations for tax purposes it is treated as personal property. See the TUG advice article on timeshare and taxes.
I guess we will have to disagree. I did go and look through that TUG advice article and it only mentions "personal property" once and it is relation to RTU and non-deeded timeshares. I stand by my statement that deeded timeshares are real property. A Redweek article on timeshare taxes refer to it as personal property but for tax purposes the IRS considers a vacation home and timeshares as personal assets for tax purposes. I guess for tax purposes they could be compared to personal property but deeded timeshare are still considered real property. I think the second or vacation home analogy is better because a you can use interest on a timeshare loan, like a second home, as a tax deduction for federal income tax. You can't do that with a car loan. Timeshares are also more like a second home than a car. You just happen to live in a timeshare for a fractional portion of time. I suppose one could live in their car too, but cars are title differently than homes and all timeshares.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I (like many) purchased my time share from the original developer and am just giving it away for almost free. Since this is a loss, can we claim it as capital loss in tax return? Has anyone tried it? Any experiences, pointers?
I can assure that if this were possible, someone on TUG would have written an article about it. :D Most of us lose money on timeshares. Hopefully the vacations make the loss worthwhile.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I guess we will have to disagree. I did go and look through that TUG advice article and it only mentions "personal property" once and it is relation to RTU and non-deeded timeshares. I stand by my statement that deeded timeshares are real property. A Redweek article on timeshare taxes refer to it as personal property but for tax purposes the IRS considers a vacation home and timeshares as personal assets for tax purposes. I guess for tax purposes they could be compared to personal property but deeded timeshare are still considered real property. I think the second or vacation home analogy is better because a you can use interest on a timeshare loan, like a second home, as a tax deduction for federal income tax. You can't do that with a car loan. Timeshares are also more like a second home than a car. You just happen to live in a timeshare for a fractional portion of time. I suppose one could live in their car too, but cars are title differently than homes and all timeshares.
But the OP's question only involved claiming a capital loss on taxes. In that regard, I think the analogy of an automobile is apt.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But the OP's question only involved claiming a capital loss on taxes. In that regard, I think the analogy of an automobile is apt.
But the analogy to a second home is also apt. I guess we are both just arguing for the sake of arguing??

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we will have to disagree. I did go and look through that TUG advice article and it only mentions "personal property" once and it is relation to RTU and non-deeded timeshares.
Not sure what TUG advice article you read, but there is this from a TUG advice article that spells it out, indisputably. (... and PigsDad's analogy to a car is even mentioned)

"If you (and/or relatives or friends) use the timeshare, exchange it or let it go unused, a loss on sale will be personal and not deductible, just as a loss on the sale of your home or your car would not be deductible. Even though your intent might be to hold it as an investment, your personal use results in no tax loss being allowed upon sale."

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a word:

"No."

If you sell through a broker or otherwise receive an IRS Form1099 as a result of the sale, you will have to report it on your tax return -- in a way that does not result in a tax loss. This has worked for me in the past: