• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can the point allocation/use date be changed?

carters4usm

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not the date of point allocations/useage can be changed. I'm looking at buying some resale points that are different than my existing January use year and think I'll get really confused if I have another date to deal with. Help needed!

kathyj0205

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes they can, for a price

I think the only way you can change the use year is by buying more points and converting your deed. I sure don't think that buying retail to change your week would be worth it.

We have one deed that is 10/1 thru 9/31 and both of the others are Jan to Dec. I really like the flexiblilty the staggered years offer. If I need to credit pool my points, I have an additional three months to decide. Since I rarely have any extra points, this hasn't really been needed.

Kathy

carters4usm

Reaction score
I actually answered my own question. I called Wyndham and stayed on hold for a long time....but....they said they do allow a one time use year change as a courtesy, even on resale. So that answers that.

Kathy, think I'm looking at pretty much the same thing you have. I have 2 January contracts, one every year and one on even years. The new one I'm looking at is an every October 1. It seems like this would be so confusing to keep up with, but you're the second person to comment on how well staggering the start dates work. Any pointers or do I just need to draw myself some pictures ;)

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the stagger also. I use a MS Excel spreadsheet to keep track.

Jya-Ning

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stagger is good, Wyndham website will show you all the points from different use year. So, I sometimes print it out before I do any confused operation.

One thing is, you will always has point overlapped unless you use one contract on the ARP. So you will never have point unused unless you want to.

Jya-Ning

carters4usm

Reaction score
Jya-Ning, you were the first one to suggest staggering instead of buying even year points. At the time, I thought no way that would be workable, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. It looks like I can try it and if its too much, I can get member services to change it. Thanks again for the great advice. Now just gotta win the auction:cheer:

acesneights

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing the use year requires you to waste money by paying MF for no use of points.

e.g changing 10/1 to 1/1 means you pay MF for 10/1/08 to 12/31/09 or 15 months but you only get one year allotment of points.

Worst case is 4/1 to 1/1 where you pay 21 months MF for 12 months of points.

Stan

kathyj0205

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't needed a spreadsheet

I haven't put my points on a SS. We have 525K points, 315K on 10/1 year and 1 EEY 210K and 1 EOY 210K both for 1/1 use year. Whenever I make a reservation WW takes out the soonest to expire first. The only time I run into trouble is if I cancel an earlier reservation. Then they go back with the original expiration date. Personally, I think having all my points on the same use year would be less flexible. When we bought our last contract ( I know, from the developer, how stupid, water under the bridge) they offered to change our 1st deed so that all were on the same year. We actually told them to go ahead and do it. BUt it never happened, and I have been grateful ever since.

Kathy