• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can relatives check in early w/o Guest Certificate?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is hard for the GM to know. They don't want to violate their agreement with II. How does the GM know that the owner is going to show up later. After allowing the guest to checkin, they really have no way of enforcing the GC rule unless the evict the guest, something they don't really want to do. The GM is caught between a rock and a hard place.

An easy solution would be to take the credit card number of the owner by phone, and ask the owner to check in when they arrive. If they never check in, then they can be charged an additional fee. There are always possibilities of people gaming the system, but the whole class shouldn't be punished for a few misbehaving students.

mbeach89

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this only an issue with an II exchange?

If I am using my usual deeded week at my home resort, and a family member arrives before me, will there be a similar issue?

Chucez

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call the resort and II and explain that you want to add your folks names. It worked for me with Marriott at Christmas. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott reservation agents will tell you that their computers will not allow someone's name to be added to a reservation that was generated by an exchange. I simply ask them to please go ahead and try it anyway.

They usually follow up by saying, "Oh, it worked."

P.S. - Do not call a Vacation Adviser or II. The answer is always 'NO'.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Is this only an issue with an II exchange?

If I am using my usual deeded week at my home resort, and a family member arrives before me, will there be a similar issue?

No. Using an owned Week you can add any names you want to the reservation by contacting Owner Services (telephone/email/"Click to Chat" on my-vacationclub.com/etc ...) There's no pushback for Owner stays because II isn't in the picture, and it's the II rules that prohibit rentals of exchanges/Getaways.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Sue Don. Just call the resort and explain the situation. No problem. In fact, I often don't even show up. I call the resort and say my daughter etc is coming and they are fine with that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree with Sue Don. Just call the resort and explain the situation. No problem. In fact, I often don't even show up. I call the resort and say my daughter etc is coming and they are fine with that.

This apparently won't work for Grande Vista per Aviator621's experience.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
An easy solution would be to take the credit card number of the owner by phone, and ask the owner to check in when they arrive. If they never check in, then they can be charged an additional fee. There are always possibilities of people gaming the system, but the whole class shouldn't be punished for a few misbehaving students.

I think the issue is, what fee would the resort be charging for? They aren't there to collect IIs guest certificate fee. That is charged by II. I think it opens up a whole bunch of other problems taking a credit card number by phone. While I don't necessarily agree with the hard line from the Grande Vista GM, they are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. They are supposed to enforce the rules of the names on the reservation. II owns that reservation and are technically the only ones that are supposed to edit those names.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have an update. First, side detail to the story: reason my parents wanted to check in early is they are currently staying a week at Harbour Lake before moving over to spend the week with us at Grande Vista. So of course they want to go ahead and move items to the new refrigerator in a straight shot. Well, for the update, my Dad (who also happens to own at Grand Vista) went over today in person to talk to the GM about trying to get an exception to the policy. They didn't budge, saying it is a contractual requirement with II now and they are not allowed to change it. They did at least agree to refrigerate the items until we arrive to check in. So at least there that.

Sometimes common sense doesn't prevail. To me this policy makes no sense. Why would they care what II thinks. They don't work for II. They work for Marriott. Who cares what their contract says. They should honor a request that an owner makes.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Sometimes common sense doesn't prevail. To me this policy makes no sense. Why would they care what II thinks. They don't work for II. They work for Marriott. Who cares what their contract says. They should honor a request that an owner makes.

Small minds find it easier to blindly follow policy, to paraphrase Emerson.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

I agree that this particular II exchange situation shouldn't be an issue because the OP intends to stay in the same unit with her guests (only will be arriving after them.) The II rule is that a GC must be purchased if the exchanger isn't staying in the unit, so to me this isn't a case of the exchanger asking for something that shouldn't be allowed. Traditionally II hasn't required that a GC be purchased in these situations so I'm hoping the problem here is a result of an overzealous GM and not a change in II's traditional policy.

But I disagree with you that Marriott, II, or we shouldn't ever care what the rules are, that Marriott reps should simply honor any request made by an owner/exchanger. There's a contractual relationship between Marriott and II that spells out the rules - if we allow them to override the rules/contracts as a blanket policy in our favor we're opening the door to them doing it to our detriment.

Tom M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Marbella Beach Club

formerly:
Marriott Sunset Pointe
We have an upcoming exchange in a 3 bedroom at Grande Vista for Thanksgiving. Our parents are joining us there for the holiday, but due to schedules will be arriving before us. I though it would be a simple matter of arranging for them to check in early, but both the resort and II say it will require a $59 guest certificate. This surprised (and annoyed) me, but wanted to see--anyone else have to deal with this? Any alternative to recommend to avoid having to pay for the GC? Thanks for the help.

We have often let our son & his family stay at Marriott timeshare we booked and they have never had to have a guest certificate. I always call the front desk a week or so ahead of time and let them know that he is coming instead of us.

One time we let a friend stay at a Marriott timeshare we had booked. I did the same thing. This time, they did not make the change, however. All it took was a quick call to me to fix the problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk