• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can I completely eliminate Windows 10 "upgrade invitations"?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to disable or deflect these relentless but unwelcome pop up box invitations from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10? (in which I have no interest).
For my limited computer purposes, Windows 7 is just fine, thanks.

The pop up appears every time the desktop computer is turned on --- and frequently thereafter while using the computer. It's easy enough to "close" the pop up box each and every time it appears, but if there is a way to eliminate these "invitations" entirely I'd certainly welcome and appreciate any input on exactly how to do so. :confused:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A search turned up this step-by-step set of instructions to put you out of your misery. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/remove-windows-10-upgrade-notifications,30818.html

Jim

Thank you, Jim. I'd characterize this relentless Microsoft assault more as an annoyance rather than creating any "misery", but removal of the invitations will be welcomed nonetheless. I'll give it a try. Thanks again!

P.S. If I'm never heard from here again, it may perhaps be reasonably assumed that I have FUBAR'd my computer in the course of this effort. ;)

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why not update?

10 and 7 are very similarity operation. It's not like learning a nee os.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why not update?

10 and 7 are very similarity operation. It's not like learning a nee os.

I have templates that I use for work that have proven not to work in Windows 10, so the company I contract on has told us not to update until they get it sorted out. I'm going to try to get rid of the pop ups as well. I'm worried that I hit the wrong combination of keys when it comes up or have a brain dead moment and update accidentally.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have templates that I use for work that have proven not to work in Windows 10, so the company I contract on has told us not to update until they get it sorted out. I'm going to try to get rid of the pop ups as well. I'm worried that I hit the wrong combination of keys when it comes up or have a brain dead moment and update accidentally.
Theo talked 'limited purpose' I assumed web, photos, few docs etc.

To compa're to a corporate environment is the other end of that pendulum.
My corporate environment moved to W7 ans IE11 in the last 12 month's. Making sure all 2000 pieces of software in use and all hardware (e.g. Welcome center thermal label printers) worked was a mammoth task. You are correct. The jump to 10 for a corporate user is different.

My fathers limited use laptop was upgraded over the summer. He is happy with the decision.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me and hundreds of millions- probably billions of people have upgraded to Win10 without difficulty or incompatibilities or problems. The largest software ROLLOUT IN HISTORY. But still, there are people who are happy with what they are used to, and for whatever reason, resist change for change's sake- notwithstanding better security, more compatibility with a broader range of applications, and ability to integrate with their digital world better than ever.

Theo asked if it was possible to stop the (annoying) pop-ups. I suppose there is, and I found one set of instructions with screen shots to show how it's done. Another way to eliminate the pop-ups is to blow an hour or so to allow the upgrade, but maybe that's to easy.

It ain't up to me to judge.

Jim

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
There's one compelling reason to update, if you update before July 2016, it will be free. When Microsoft ends support for older O/S's, they will stop doing security updates for them. Mainstream support for Windows 8.1 ends on January 9, 2018. If you have Windows 8 and plan on keeping the computer past 2018, you should take advantage of the free update before it expires.

I like Windows 10. It has some nice bells and whistles, but not any "wow I gotta have this" features. Many Windows 7 users were hesitant to upgrade to 8, 8.1, or 10 because of the Metro interface, which I call Tile World. I don't like Tile World, and rarely go there. Windows 10 lets you stay in the "desktop" world with the same familiar 3D icons everybody got used to. Another complaint is the start button. It disappeared in 8, came back as a lame version in 8.1, and slightly less lame in 10. Fortunately, with a $5 utility from Stardock called Start10, you can make the start button menu look exactly like Windows 7. With that utility, here's what my Windows 10 start menu looks like:

start10.jpg

It even lets you pin frequently used programs and documents like Windows 7 did.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
I accepted the invitation to upgrade to Windows 10 several months ago.

I keep getting the invitation daily but have not been informed that the upgrade is available. It says you have to wait for the download.

Am I missing something to actually download the upgrade?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to disable or deflect these relentless but unwelcome pop up box invitations from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 10? (in which I have no interest).
For my limited computer purposes, Windows 7 is just fine, thanks.

Here is what I did. First I shut off automatic updates. This means I have to check every now and then to see if there are any updates I am willing to download.

Second, I went to the website http://www.ultimateoutsider.com ; clicked on "Software"; then GWX Control Panel. I then followed the steps necessary to totally stop Microsoft from trying to force Windows10 down my throat.

George

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I accepted the invitation to upgrade to Windows 10 several months ago.

I keep getting the invitation daily but have not been informed that the upgrade is available. It says you have to wait for the download.

Am I missing something to actually download the upgrade?

It probably is already downloaded and is just waiting for you to click the 'install' button. It would be the little 'flag' or banner looking thing in the 'tray' at the bottom of your screen, or in 'Settings' (looks like a gear) then select 'upgrade'.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
It probably is already downloaded and is just waiting for you to click the 'install' button. It would be the little 'flag' or banner looking thing in the 'tray' at the bottom of your screen, or in 'Settings' (looks like a gear) then select 'upgrade'.

If it's not on your computer and ready to be installed follow the link below to the Microsoft download page and get it there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-sWT5lMLBp4PmhaN4quQdsA)

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
When I click the flag, it says I have no issues that need my attention.

Bucky
That is the link I originally used and this is the invitation only which I have already been invited and still waiting 3 months.

Maybe they do not want me to download Windows 10.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
When I click the flag, it says I have no issues that need my attention.

Bucky
That is the link I originally used and this is the invitation only which I have already been invited and still waiting 3 months.

Maybe they do not want me to download Windows 10.

You can manually download and install W10.
http://www.redmondpie.com/force-download-windows-10-free-upgrade-right-now-heres-how-tutorial/

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-youve-got-questions-ive-got-answers/

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Windows 10 highjacked my computer?

I don't know if it is something I did accidentally but I have always declined the Windows 10 update. This morning I got up to find Windows 10 installed on my computer! I don't know how this happened but I hope I can get rid of it if I don't like it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is something I did accidentally but I have always declined the Windows 10 update. This morning I got up to find Windows 10 installed on my computer! I don't know how this happened but I hope I can get rid of it if I don't like it.

Give it a chance. It's more secure, and automatically updates itself. Millions of people like it, but if you don't, or find something that it just won't do, you can revert to your old operating system, but it will just go back to bugging you to upgrade to Win10 again.

[edited] The first thing I had to find was how to shut it down. You just push the 'Windows' key and a menu pops in from the right. Power is one of the options at the lower left. Settings is also there and you can adjust how Windows looks from there. Settings would also be where you'd revert back to your old OS.

Jim

Last edited:

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
w10 upgrades

FWIW, I've installed Win10 on three different computers with three different OSes: Vista, W7, and W8.1. The easiest upgrade was w7 and, not surprisingly Vista was the toughest. W7 was pretty much 'turnkey'; after the upgrade everything transferred flawlessly and, on w10, was still where it was supposed to be.

IMHO, the biggest disappointment in w10 is the new version of IE (Microsoft Edge). It's not a big deal as I have been using Chrome as my default for years, but still Edge is a half finished joke of a browser.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't get search or edge to work

So I have been trying to figure out 10 and still get some work done today. I can't figure out the search bar, I try to type something in and nothing happens.
Same thing also with Edge, I click on the icon and it fills I get a blue page with the white E but can't do anything with it.

I also don't have the Cortana microphone icon anywhere.

Mostly I want to be able to search my documents using a word or phrase like I could do with 7. That is really hampering my productivity. I don't so much mind using Chrome to surf the web, it's what I'm used to.

If anyone has any ideas about getting search to word in my taskbar, I'd be much obliged.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you click the (+) sign to the right of your tabs, it should open another tab and you can type in a question or enter a URL. And Cortana is a 2 tone 'bulls eye' in the menu when you press the Window key. Clicking on it should have the microphone icon at the bottom of the window where your question will appear when you say or type it. Cortana can search either the web or your computer for words.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Work: Told not to upgrade... Win10 will not work in our network.
Home: Running Win10 on 2 laptops + 1 desktop... Very flexible... I like it.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My husband accepted the upgrade on his computer by mistake. It wiped out all his email in outlook. And, yes, I've looked in the windows.old directory and for hidden files. I'm terrified of updating mine which is still running 7. I actually do work on mine - not just internet browsing.

Deb

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

I was kinda worried our laptop did the same thing. Last night when I went to shut down there was an Update and Restart option. I selected it. When I looked back a few minutes later it said it was on update 1 of 75 :eek:. I didn't think of it till this morning that it could have perhaps been upgrading to Windows 10. I was a little worried but checked when I returned from work ant it was still on Windows 8.

I wouldn't mind upgrading, but I have read that there are compatibility issues with Windows 10 and Microsoft Money 2008 that I continue to use. I plan to finally get myself off of Microsoft Money and on to KMyMoney on Linux at the end of the year. I would prefer to do a change over to tracking in a new program with a year end. Had my laptop upgraded to Windows 10, it may have hastened that change over.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
FWIW, I've installed Win10 on three different computers with three different OSes: Vista, W7, and W8.1. The easiest upgrade was w7 and, not surprisingly Vista was the toughest. W7 was pretty much 'turnkey'; after the upgrade everything transferred flawlessly and, on w10, was still where it was supposed to be.

IMHO, the biggest disappointment in w10 is the new version of IE (Microsoft Edge). It's not a big deal as I have been using Chrome as my default for years, but still Edge is a half finished joke of a browser.

Wouldn't Vista have required a fresh install of Windows 10? I don't think Vista was included in the free upgrade to 10? I had Vista on two other laptops and XP on an old netbook. I have documented my experiences switching all three over to Linux, which so far I am very happy with. No Edge, no Vista. It is great. Much faster and smoother experience so far now that I have some of the kinks worked out.

tfalk

Reaction score
So I have been trying to figure out 10 and still get some work done today. I can't figure out the search bar, I try to type something in and nothing happens.
Same thing also with Edge, I click on the icon and it fills I get a blue page with the white E but can't do anything with it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 10... Unlike all the 'millions of people who have upgraded with no problems', I also had the same problem. 3 times... Once the start button disappears or the search bar doesn't work, Microsoft has exactly 1 answer - reinstall windows. Uh, no...

When my car doesn't start, I don't remove the motor and rebuild it from scratch. Hopefully one day, Microsoft learns that is not how cars are repaired and that is also not how computers should be repaired.

If you can, back out the install which will 'hopefully' put you back to a functioning computer, then uninstall and hide the KB3035583 update.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows 10... Unlike all the 'millions of people who have upgraded with no problems', I also had the same problem. 3 times... Once the start button disappears or the search bar doesn't work, Microsoft has exactly 1 answer - reinstall windows. Uh, no...

When my car doesn't start, I don't remove the motor and rebuild it from scratch. Hopefully one day, Microsoft learns that is not how cars are repaired and that is also not how computers should be repaired.

If you can, back out the install which will 'hopefully' put you back to a functioning computer, then uninstall and hide the KB3035583 update.

My problem with Windows 10 was with the sleep mode at first it would not come wake up; it is working OK now. But it wakes up every morning at 2:30 AM and 5:30 AM all by itself.