• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can a corporation own a timeshare?

newperson

Reaction score
or does it have to be deeded in the names of the people using it?

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I am writing is based on assumptions made from my experiences. I am sure that there are some lawyers or others on the board with some more direct experience on this.

I believe that a TS is real property. A corporation is an entity that is allowed to own real property. Therefore, technically a corporation is allowed to own a TS. The TS company may be able to require names attached to the corporation for usage.

I happen to own all of our TSs in our Living Trust. Good luck with figuring this out.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
The developers usually own lots of weeks before they sell it to people. And developers are often corporations, right?

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Does your question pertain to Starwood properties?

This thread may be more appropriate elsewhere.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I know that it does not have to be deeded to the names of the owners since in my WSJ purchases it was deeded to a LLC (consisting of 2 married doctors that likely did it to separate their business from a family owned venture). However, in the CCRs of various SVO resorts it does specifically list who cannot own their VOIs - but you will have to persue the actual text (I think it was to prevent another TS company - like Marriott - having ownership - but not sure as it was in technical real estate terms)

It would be nice if posts like these were more specific as not to send off into an unnecessary tangent...

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
DavidnRobin, ... From a lawyer to a Scientist: LLC = Limited Liability Corporation. The question is not whether a corporation can own a timeshare property. Of course it can.

The questions are whether a corporation can be a member of SVN - and I don't know the answer to that one - and who can make a reservation on behalf of the corporate owner. But, my timeshares are owned by me. :) ... eom

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
jarta - (thanks - i know what LLC stands for but I do not know what it means to be a LLC) as I was reading the CCRs for the WKORV and WPORV properties - there was some text around this (I didn't pay attention since it didn't pertain to me) - and it is certainly a non-issue, but it would be interesting to understand what SVO/SVN was attempting to prevent.

The previous WSJ owners (the family vacation LLC) were members of SVN - they of course never used SVN because they bought WSJ to stay in STJ, but that must not be what you meant since all owners of M resorts (and non-resale V resorts when not retro'd or added to SVN) are also SVN members.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Trusts can own timeshares -- our most recent salesmanager promoted doing that so that if you are 3* the trust owns that, so the kids can keep the 3* level in the trust. As if 3* will still exist in 50 years...

The DH comments that by them there will be a 9*. (Which he will want, I might add.)

thomasro3

Reaction score
Trusts can own timeshares -- our most recent salesmanager promoted doing that so that if you are 3* the trust owns that, so the kids can keep the 3* level in the trust. As if 3* will still exist in 50 years...

The DH comments that by them there will be a 9*. (Which he will want, I might add.)

Something to think about... My wealthy uncle once told me that he used to save a fortune in taxes when purchasing apartment buildings in San Francisco if the following applied. If the apartment, house or building was owned by a corporation and he purchased that corporation. The apartment, house or building did not technically change hands/ownership and therefore did not get reassessed for taxes. Though in functionally it is a new owner.

If we apply the same logic to a Timeshare owned by a corporation and not a trust then that would also solve the resale issue? Have the resale person transfer ownership to a corporation, and then purchase the corporation so that the property stays in SVN.

I'm not a lawyer or real-estate guru...this is sort of a "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" scenario. My uncle still owns a bank so; I'll assume the info is good and that it worked a sometime, though laws may have been changed since to avoid this sort of shelter.

-Thomas

ttt

TUG Member
Reaction score
LLC=Company, Not Corporation

DavidnRobin, ... From a lawyer to a Scientist: LLC = Limited Liability Corporation. The question is not whether a corporation can own a timeshare property. Of course it can.

The questions are whether a corporation can be a member of SVN - and I don't know the answer to that one - and who can make a reservation on behalf of the corporate owner. But, my timeshares are owned by me. :) ... eom

LLC is Limited Liability COMPANY.
LLC's and Corporations can own timeshares...

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something to think about... My wealthy uncle once told me that he used to save a fortune in taxes when purchasing apartment buildings in San Francisco if the following applied. If the apartment, house or building was owned by a corporation and he purchased that corporation. The apartment, house or building did not technically change hands/ownership and therefore did not get reassessed for taxes. Though in functionally it is a new owner.

If we apply the same logic to a Timeshare owned by a corporation and not a trust then that would also solve the resale issue? Have the resale person transfer ownership to a corporation, and then purchase the corporation so that the property stays in SVN.

I'm not a lawyer or real-estate guru...this is sort of a "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" scenario. My uncle still owns a bank so; I'll assume the info is good and that it worked a sometime, though laws may have been changed since to avoid this sort of shelter.

-Thomas

My wealthy uncle told me the same thing too!!!!! He owns a number of apartments, warehouses and strip malls.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
That loophole was closed long ago in Illinois. Assignments of shares of stock and assignments of beneficial interests in real property must get reported now before the deed can be recorded. If there is no deed, a tax still must be paid. Woe to him who cheats. It was cute while it lasted, though. ;) ... eom

Last edited:

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA

If we apply the same logic to a Timeshare owned by a corporation and not a trust then that would also solve the resale issue?........

Yes...likely true for apartments....but, read all the previous posts on getting various counties to reassess (lower) taxes based on resale price. If you get them to lower...please let us all in on it! The counties do a weird averaging of sales...picking numbers out of a hat for the resale TS's. I would love to have lower RE taxes on my resales.

Also...what ever happened to piercing corporate veil? Why have a TS in a LLC...need officers...and, if the bucks are big enough, officers are it.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Sorry for my assumptions :wall: I should have asked WHY first.... When I put in my first post, I was recalling all those discussions on "if I put the TS in XYZ, then I'm not REALLY responsible for the mf's, right?" and how frustrating that would be for a board of directors (particularly a small owner run board) to deal with any issues.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my assumptions :wall: I should have asked WHY first.... When I put in my first post, I was recalling all those discussions on "if I put the TS in XYZ, then I'm not REALLY responsible for the mf's, right?" and how frustrating that would be for a board of directors (particularly a small owner run board) to deal with any issues.

You should ask a lawyer that deals in Corporations and LLC's. I know in Florida, if you allow a corporation of LLC to disolve for failure to pay the annual fees, then all the liability transfers to the officers or members.... I would check before doing that.