• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Camera comparison

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering a Sony DSC-HX100V & the Cannon SX40 HS. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these cameras?

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking the zoom of either camera is worthless over about 8x, unless you use a tripod.

Otherwise, either one is most likely an excellent camera. They are very close in size to the Canon XS/XT series.

What makes you consider these two, over the Canon G12 or S100 vs Sony DSC-HX9v? I have no opinion, I'm just interested in your thoughts.

humuhumu nukunukuapua'a

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sony HX100V is Great

Bought the Canon SX30 last June, thought it was decent, but returned it in a week to buy the Sony HX100v. The Sony was new to U.S. market, but had great Amazon reviews...but NO professional website reviews. [The Canon was already highly regarded, with many reviews.]

Despite the uncertainty over lack of pro reviews (at the time), I took a gamble and have been thrilled ever since. It has since had lots of professional reviews and MANY more Amazon reviews (originally 25, but now 135), as well as great popularity on one particular camera forum (dpreview.com). For ME, the Sony features have been just wonderful. It was a long learning curve to get accustomed to all it can do...and I expect I will have to re-learn a lot, when I start using it again this Spring.

Rather than me trying to summarize what is so great about the Sony, I recommend that you read the Amazon reviews for BOTH cameras (the new Canon SX40, as well as the HX100V...and the HX200 is supposedly close to market). There are tons of pro reviews, which can be found via simple Google searches for each camera.

Just one special bragging point: The Sony 30x Zoom is awesome and works great, without any problems in focus stability or use. I frequently use the digital zoom to reach out to 60x and beyond, and think the pictures are still "good enough."

Both the SX40 (new last Fall) and HX100V are very well respected. It all depends on YOU reading as much as you can about each, and deciding which factors are most important to you.

NOTE: I bought an aftermarket battery charger and 2 batteries for the Sony (which has excellent lithion battery life), and expect to continue enjoying it for several years...until the "Next Best and Greatest" comes along.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought a Panasonic FZ150 recently. Mostly for the RAW capability but I'm not sure I'll use it. Wish it had more zoom. I'm happy so far but haven't used it enough nor personally compared it to any others. Those two were right up there.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer Mosca, I don't have a good reason. They were on sale at Best Buy and a local camera store.

Since I don't know a whole lot about cameras, I went to the local camera store and ended up with a Nikon 3100.

They offered the best support which is great for someone like me. It also came with X amount of prints every month and a photography class. I am pretty excited.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
D3100? GREAT camera. You'll love it!

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
D3100? GREAT camera. You'll love it!

Mosca, do you have this camera? Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty excited, I am going to take a couple classes from the camera store. They offer one with the purchase, and if I like it I may take the next one too.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*