• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Calling the States from Mexico

Peteyp97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all-we are going to be going to the Riviera Maya on Friday and I want to try and keep in touch with the home front. What is the best way? Don't think calling from the hotels--are there special calling cards anyone can recommend to get and use from a payphone?
Thanks
Pete

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I want to try and keep in touch with the home front. What is the best way?
In August when we went to Cabo, we found the cheapest way was to send text messages. They were only ten cents a message, I think, and no roaming charges with Verizon.

island22

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the previous post, text messaging is probably the least expensive way to keep in touch with those at home.
But if that isn't an option, I would say buy a phone card (Latadel?) I think that's what they are called, they can be purchased at most of the currency exchanges and also at pharmacies or convenience stores.
This is much cheaper than calling from the hotel where they will no doubt tack on an outrageous fee per minute cost for the call back home.

Harvey and Lin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've also had good luck with reasonable phone rates at Internet cafes (both in Cancun and on the Mayan Riviera).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are carrying your own laptop, you can get a Skype setup that you can use from anywhere you can get online. Check Best Buy type stores. Otherwise the Ladatel cards in public phones work pretty well. The hotel phones are a very expensive choice.

Jim Ricks

ajlm33

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've also had good luck with reasonable phone rates at Internet cafes (both in Cancun and on the Mayan Riviera).

Last month I paid 40 cents per minute at a couple of different internet cafes while in Mexico. The rate seemed reasonable as I didn't want to hassle with a phone card. We were on a cruise and stopped in Cabo, PV, and Acapulco. I also didn't have to talk too long (5 minutes or less) when I called home, so for $2.00 I thought it a good deal.

Peteyp97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are these Ladatel cards

able to be purchased in the States and then use in Mexico? Or do I have to buy them there? I've seen them in 7-11's.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you staying? If you are at the Royal Haciendas they sell a card in the mini market that's reasonable. You get connected through the phone in your room; the connection charge is either nothing or it's something like 50c, but it's not exorbitant.

DonnaD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Vacation Club
Onesuite.com

You might want to consider OneSuite.com. You set up an account and put some money on that account using your credit card. You can then call to Mexico for less than 10 cents/minute and call from Mexico home for about 18 cents/minute. We set up a plan that our family calls us at certain times like in the morning by 9:00. We leave the number of the resort with them and then email them with our room number or they just call and ask for our room. check out their website.
DonnaD

spitubbe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Verizon will loan you a "Global phone" that has a low rate. Haven't tried it in Mexico yet, but it worked very well in Europe. Each country has it's own rates and Verizon should be able to tell you that.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use our MCI calling card that we bought at Costco. It works from any Telmex phone. You can also give the calling card number to people in the states to call you in Mexico. Last year it was about .36/min to call to the US. It is a lot less to call Mexico from the states. We have a daughter who lives in Lodon and it was .47/min to call her. But text messaging is the best and cheapest.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
able to be purchased in the States and then use in Mexico? Or do I have to buy them there? I've seen them in 7-11's.

Only avail. in MX I believe. The cards we bought worked out to .50 a minute. Pretty pricey. Our cell phone was also about .50 a minute. :(

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ladatel cards are sold only in Mexico. They work on the pay phones only. It is only $0.50/minute. I'd purchase one at the airport just to be sure I had one to start with.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
skype is 2 cents a minute + internet fees.

brucecz

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to consider OneSuite.com. You set up an account and put some money on that account using your credit card. You can then call to Mexico for less than 10 cents/minute and call from Mexico home for about 18 cents/minute. We set up a plan that our family calls us at certain times like in the morning by 9:00. We leave the number of the resort with them and then email them with our room number or they just call and ask for our room. check out their website.
DonnaD

When calling from Puerto Vallarta Mexico, can you call from your timeshare unit, or are there certain places you are restricted to for calling home, etc.
Thanks inavance for the heads up.

Bruce :D

nao

Reaction score
Inexpensive and dependable

Check Mexitel Cellular (mexitel.net).
$1 to call anywhere in the US / Incoming calls are free
Phone and phone-number delivered to your doorstep before you leave.
Let me know what you think (we thought it was great).

fring

Reaction score
DonnaD

I second the motion. Plus if you can get an acecss to the internet you can call back US for only 2.5 cents per minute using Onesuite voip feature.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phone calls

ATT has a plan for 4.99 per month and 59 cents a minute from MX to USA
use it while you are on vaction and cancel when you get back.